iPad use with Catalina

Old October 22nd 19, 04:52 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system, comp.mobile.ipad, uk.comp.sys.mac, rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default iPad use with Catalina

This seems to be an interesting use of the iPad as a graphic tablet for Macs
on Catalina.

https://youtu.be/QNgtQDwW9P4

Savageduck

Old October 22nd 19, 05:45 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.ipad,uk.comp.sys.mac,rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 22/10/2019 16:52, Savageduck wrote:
This seems to be an interesting use of the iPad as a graphic tablet for Macs
on Catalina.

https://youtu.be/QNgtQDwW9P4

Don't rush to install Catalina though until they have got it fully
sorted. It took me multiple attemps, starting with 30 GB spare. Had to
do a full restore from Time Machine. Even after cleaning to leave 60 GB
I had to repeat the 8 GB download about five times.

This is on a 2015 MacBook Pro
Old October 23rd 19, 03:43 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.ipad,uk.comp.sys.mac,rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

On 10/22/19 PDT 9:45 AM, newshound wrote:
On 22/10/2019 16:52, Savageduck wrote:
This seems to be an interesting use of the iPad as a graphic tablet
for Macs
on Catalina.

https://youtu.be/QNgtQDwW9P4

Don't rush to install Catalina though until they have got it fully
sorted. It took me multiple attemps, starting with 30 GB spare. Had to
do a full restore from Time Machine. Even after cleaning to leave 60 GB
I had to repeat the 8 GB download about five times.

This is on a 2015 MacBook Pro

Not a whisper of a problem on my 2013 MBP.
Old October 23rd 19, 10:42 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.ipad,uk.comp.sys.mac,rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 22/10/2019 17:45, newshound wrote:
On 22/10/2019 16:52, Savageduck wrote:
This seems to be an interesting use of the iPad as a graphic tablet
for Macs
on Catalina.

https://youtu.be/QNgtQDwW9P4

Don't rush to install Catalina though until they have got it fully
sorted. It took me multiple attemps, starting with 30 GB spare. Had to
do a full restore from Time Machine. Even after cleaning to leave 60 GB
I had to repeat the 8 GB download about five times.

This is on a 2015 MacBook Pro

Just to warn you, the saga continues. I thought it was sorted, but no.
An hour messing around this afternoon, half an hour text chat to
support, another hour and a half trying unsuccessfully to reset keychain
password and at the moment it just seems to be getting worse.

Old October 24th 19, 12:24 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.system, comp.mobile.ipad, uk.comp.sys.mac, rec.photo.digital
Davoud[_4_]

newshound:
Don't rush to install Catalina though until they have got it fully
sorted. It took me multiple attemps, starting with 30 GB spare. Had to
do a full restore from Time Machine. Even after cleaning to leave 60 GB
I had to repeat the 8 GB download about five times.

You’re projecting your experience on the entire human population. I
installed on my MBP on day one, as did countless others with no problems.

Old October 24th 19, 02:29 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.ipad,uk.comp.sys.mac,rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 24/10/2019 00:24, Davoud wrote:
newshound:
Don't rush to install Catalina though until they have got it fully
sorted. It took me multiple attemps, starting with 30 GB spare. Had to
do a full restore from Time Machine. Even after cleaning to leave 60 GB
I had to repeat the 8 GB download about five times.

You’re projecting your experience on the entire human population. I
installed on my MBP on day one, as did countless others with no problems.

I imagine Apple has an exact count.

The fact is that plenty of people did experience problems, quite a lot
attributed to server failures under the pressure of downloads.

The whole experience has reminded me of Microsoft in the days of
operating systems before XP, the first time I have had *any* significant
software problems with Apple in nearly five years.

And it is disappointing to find that a significant chunk of my
applications no longer work, including Audacity and Picasa.

I've just had to do a full reinstall of Office 365 too, I think perhaps
from some corruption problem in Keychain.
Old October 24th 19, 03:33 AM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.mac,rec.photo.digital
Jolly Roger[_2_]

newshound wrote:
On 22/10/2019 17:45, newshound wrote:
On 22/10/2019 16:52, Savageduck wrote:
This seems to be an interesting use of the iPad as a graphic tablet
for Macs
on Catalina.

https://youtu.be/QNgtQDwW9P4

Don't rush to install Catalina though until they have got it fully
sorted. It took me multiple attemps, starting with 30 GB spare. Had to
do a full restore from Time Machine. Even after cleaning to leave 60 GB
I had to repeat the 8 GB download about five times.

This is on a 2015 MacBook Pro

Just to warn you, the saga continues. I thought it was sorted, but no.
An hour messing around this afternoon, half an hour text chat to
support, another hour and a half trying unsuccessfully to reset keychain
password and at the moment it just seems to be getting worse.

Which model and year Mac? What version macOS was it running before the
upgrade?

JR
Old October 24th 19, 03:05 PM posted to comp.mobile.ipad,comp.sys.mac.system,uk.comp.sys.mac,rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 24/10/2019 03:33, Jolly Roger wrote:
newshound wrote:
[...]

13 inch retina, on the last OS (was that High Sierra)?

I *may* have got it back up and running, but I had to do a full
reinstall of Office 365 and a reset of the Microsoft password as well as
the Apple ID one. And I find just now that my iPad has lost my contacts
(at least for the moment).
Old October 25th 19, 12:42 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.ipad,uk.comp.sys.mac,rec.photo.digital
SMS

On 10/23/2019 6:29 PM, newshound wrote:

snip

And it is disappointing to find that a significant chunk of my
applications no longer work, including Audacity and Picasa.

Audacity has a suggestion for a workaround that they say has worked for
some users:
https://www.audacityteam.org/macos-10-15-catalina-is-not-yet-supported-by-audacity/.

There is no solution for Picasa which is really too bad since it was an
excellent photo editor.
Old October 25th 19, 02:03 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.mobile.ipad,uk.comp.sys.mac,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Incubus
wrote:

There is no solution for Picasa which is really too bad since it was an
excellent photo editor.

picasa has been discontinued.

There is a solution: learn to frame and expose photos correctly in the first
instance.

there was a lot of darkroom manipulation with film, more so than the
digital equivalent today because the cameras were nowhere near as
capable.

Practice with a film camera if you really want to learn.

it's *much* easier to learn photography with digital.