Wacom Tablet Tutorials

Old October 19th 05, 05:54 PM
Steven Wandy

Default Wacom Tablet Tutorials

I have been "using" (as opposed to knowing) PS for several versions now.
Got a Wacom Intuos 2 last year for my birthday but never had the time to
really learn to use it.
Are there any online tutorials that I could start with? (Basic tips on Wacom
site and the install CD were only slightly helpful.)
Thanks

Old October 21st 05, 05:16 PM
bob

"Steven Wandy" wrote in
:

I have been "using" (as opposed to knowing) PS for several versions
now. Got a Wacom Intuos 2 last year for my birthday but never had the
time to really learn to use it.
Are there any online tutorials that I could start with? (Basic tips on
Wacom site and the install CD were only slightly helpful.)
Thanks

Just hook it up, install the drivers, and use it. It's mostly a hand - eye
coordination thing.

I use the pen 95% of the time. I only use the mouse when I'm doing
something that's very particular, like adjusting control points in
Illustrator.

Bob

Old October 23rd 05, 02:57 PM
nk

Hi Bob,
I saw your posting on the Wacom, I was thinking about getting one them.
Do they really help for digital photographer?

Nath

bob wrote:
"Steven Wandy" wrote in
:

Old October 23rd 05, 03:12 PM
Bill Hilton

Steven Wandy wrote ...

Got a Wacom Intuos 2 last year for my birthday but never had the time
to really learn to use it.
Are there any online tutorials that I could start with?

If you want to splurge for a book I recommend Cher Threinen-Pendarvis'
book "The Photoshop and Painter Artist Tablet Book", which is a
detailed description of how to best use the Wacom tablets with Photshop
and Painter.

Bill

Old October 23rd 05, 03:16 PM
Bill Hilton

Nath writes ...

Hi Bob,
I saw your posting on the Wacom, I was thinking about getting one
them. Do they really help for digital photographer?

I'm not Bob but here's my 2 cents worth ... if you're using the Brush
tool a lot, especially for painting, then the tablets are very helpful,
especially if the Brush tool supports different levels of pressure.
There are things you can do with a pressure sensitive tablet that you
just cannot do well with a mouse.

Bu for basic digital edits of photos you can certainly do fine without
a tablet, I feel (I have a 6x8" Wacom).

Bill

Old October 23rd 05, 05:34 PM
Ed Velez

I just picked up my 6x8 tablet yesterday at the Photo Expo in NY. Its nice
to have a mouse and pen combo on the desk now AND yes, even though I have
only used the tablet less than a day, I am loving it.

I am using Ron Nichols Digital Learning Retouch Pallete with PS CS2 and the
portrait touchups go much faster and I get the areas I really want to hit,
that's something that's not as easy to do with a mouse as it is with a pen.

oups.com...

Old October 26th 05, 01:23 PM
bob

nk wrote in
:

Hi Bob,
I saw your posting on the Wacom, I was thinking about getting one
them. Do they really help for digital photographer?

I love it. I use the pen almost exclusively when I use the computer.

If all you're doing is adjusting levels or whatever for the whole photo,
then it probably doesn't make much difference.

But if you're doing much editing, it makes a huge difference.

Here's how to convince yourself of the value: write your name with a mouse,
and then use a pencil. I bet you had a lot more control with the pencil.

In addition to the greater directional control, the tablet is pressure
sensitive, which means brush strokes get wider, and airbrush gets heavier,
as you press more. As far as I know, you just can't do those things with a
mouse.

Bob