Quandry on 3 DSLR's

Old July 16th 07, 08:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D[_2_]

Default Quandry on 3 DSLR's

Pentax K10D: Excellent ergonomics, weather sealed, complete camera
with all control and options you could want.

All the control and options you could want?
You obviously don't want much.

What is it missing? Just wondering. What feature did you need?

Cheers.

Pete

Old July 16th 07, 12:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Doug Jewell

"Pete D" wrote in message

Pentax K10D: Excellent ergonomics, weather sealed, complete camera
with all control and options you could want.

All the control and options you could want?
You obviously don't want much.

What is it missing? Just wondering. What feature did you need?

The only things I can think of (and they are minor that can be worked
around)...

PC Socket - not that I use my old PC flashgun much anyway.

Automatic Timer drive (ie, take a shot every X seconds for N exposures)

Timed Bulb exposures - ie a bit more than 30sec timed exposure. The MZ60
could go to 30 minutes, which would be handy.

A 2nd (or 3rd) custom setting. (having 3 custom WB settings is handy).

The ability to swap the Av & Tv dials in full manual operation - Because
metering with Non-A lenses requires stop-down metering, I find it a bit
tricky to turn the front dial to set exposure whilst holding the camera in
DOF preview mode. Of course if it had the aperture sensor like the old FSLRs
that would be even better. Or even if it worked in Aperture priority mode
instead of only in M.

The ability to assign a custom function to the AF button. I find the AF
button totally useless (I always half-press for focus). If I could, I'd
assign it to drive mode to make it quicker to turn on burst.

Not much to complain about I know, but these are the things I've found in
the 2 weeks I've had mine. (Well actually I have a GX10, which is
practically identical). overall I love the camera. Interesting that all
except the PC flash socket could be implemented entirely in firmware. As for
the timed drive and/or timed bulb, I'm working on building electronics that
can do this via the remote socket.

Cheers.

Pete

Old July 16th 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bill Funk

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 17:53:23 +1000, "Pete D"
wrote:

Pentax K10D: Excellent ergonomics, weather sealed, complete camera
with all control and options you could want.

All the control and options you could want?
You obviously don't want much.

What is it missing? Just wondering. What feature did you need?

Cheers.

Pete

"Need"? Who mentioned "need"?
If the K10D has all the controls one could want, it would cost a *LOT*
less.

Al Gore's son was pulled over by police on the
San Diego Freeway Tuesday with marijuana, Valium,
Xanax and Vicodin on him. The kid never had a
chance. He got hooked on downers at an early
age listening to his father read him bedtime
stories.
Old July 16th 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D[_2_]

wrote:

Pentax K10D: Excellent ergonomics, weather sealed, complete camera
with all control and options you could want.

All the control and options you could want?
You obviously don't want much.

What is it missing? Just wondering. What feature did you need?

Cheers.

Pete

"Need"? Who mentioned "need"?
If the K10D has all the controls one could want, it would cost a *LOT*
less.

???? Still confused by this Bill? Mine has all I want and need! Less???

Old July 16th 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D[_2_]

"Doug Jewell" wrote in message

"Pete D" wrote in message

Pentax K10D: Excellent ergonomics, weather sealed, complete camera
with all control and options you could want.

All the control and options you could want?
You obviously don't want much.

What is it missing? Just wondering. What feature did you need?

The only things I can think of (and they are minor that can be worked
around)...

PC Socket - not that I use my old PC flashgun much anyway.

Maybe but it will drive a couple of external flashes and infraredadapters
are cheap, few will miss it I would think and hotshoe adapters are
available.

Automatic Timer drive (ie, take a shot every X seconds for N exposures)

I cn already do that with the Pentax software and a USB connection, maybe
not as elegant as it could be and you can also use an external timer release
if you want.

Timed Bulb exposures - ie a bit more than 30sec timed exposure. The MZ60
could go to 30 minutes, which would be handy.

See above.

A 2nd (or 3rd) custom setting. (having 3 custom WB settings is handy).

Agree.

The ability to swap the Av & Tv dials in full manual operation - Because
metering with Non-A lenses requires stop-down metering, I find it a bit
tricky to turn the front dial to set exposure whilst holding the camera in
DOF preview mode. Of course if it had the aperture sensor like the old
FSLRs that would be even better. Or even if it worked in Aperture priority
mode instead of only in M.

Use of non A lenses is a bit of an added extra anyway, perhaps you need to
buy some other lenses. ;-)

The ability to assign a custom function to the AF button. I find the AF
button totally useless (I always half-press for focus). If I could, I'd
assign it to drive mode to make it quicker to turn on burst.

Maybe for you but I know others that reckon that the AF button is the
greatest thing since sliced bread as it is (I still prefer unsliced).

Not much to complain about I know, but these are the things I've found in
the 2 weeks I've had mine. (Well actually I have a GX10, which is
practically identical). overall I love the camera. Interesting that all
except the PC flash socket could be implemented entirely in firmware. As
for the timed drive and/or timed bulb, I'm working on building electronics
that can do this via the remote socket.

I guess when you look at what it does have it is so far ahead of the
opposition that you really wonder what the other manufacturers are
thinking..

Pete

Cheers.

Pete

Old July 17th 07, 04:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bill Funk

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 06:39:52 +1000, "Pete D"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Pentax K10D: Excellent ergonomics, weather sealed, complete camera
with all control and options you could want.

All the control and options you could want?
You obviously don't want much.

What is it missing? Just wondering. What feature did you need?

Cheers.

Pete

"Need"? Who mentioned "need"?
If the K10D has all the controls one could want, it would cost a *LOT*
less.

???? Still confused by this Bill? Mine has all I want and need! Less???

No, I'm not confused.
I read what was written.
I mentioned "want".
Pete used the word "need".
Do you see the difference?

If your camera has all you want and need, that's great! I never said
it didn't.

Old July 17th 07, 09:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D[_2_]

"Bill Funk" wrote in message
On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 06:39:52 +1000, "Pete D"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

Pentax K10D: Excellent ergonomics, weather sealed, complete camera
with all control and options you could want.

All the control and options you could want?
You obviously don't want much.

What is it missing? Just wondering. What feature did you need?

Cheers.

Pete

"Need"? Who mentioned "need"?
If the K10D has all the controls one could want, it would cost a *LOT*
less.

???? Still confused by this Bill? Mine has all I want and need! Less???

No, I'm not confused.
I read what was written.
I mentioned "want".
Pete used the word "need".
Do you see the difference?

If your camera has all you want and need, that's great! I never said
it didn't.

No I was commenting on the extra things you wanted costing less??

Old July 18th 07, 03:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bill Funk

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 06:31:18 +1000, "Pete D"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Reads what I wrote again.
I was responding to what you said; I even quoted it.

Old July 18th 07, 09:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D[_2_]

"Bill Funk" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 06:31:18 +1000, "Pete D"
wrote:

"Bill Funk" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 06:39:52 +1000, "Pete D"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

[...]

I am sure I have missed something here but it doesn't matter. I love my K10D
but I am not getting out enough, cold and dull here at the moment and it
makes it hard to get moving, top of 5 with snow showers yesterday.

Old July 18th 07, 10:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bill Funk

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 06:29:51 +1000, "Pete D"
wrote:

I am sure I have missed something here but it doesn't matter. I love my K10D
but I am not getting out enough, cold and dull here at the moment and it
makes it hard to get moving, top of 5 with snow showers yesterday.

Opposite problem here; around 110, and that hinders going out for
photo shoots. :-(