DSLR Battery solution wanted..

Old May 13th 07, 12:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

Default DSLR Battery solution wanted..

On May 7, 10:49 pm, Paul Furman wrote:
Tom D wrote:
"the_niner_nation" wrote in message
. ..

I am visiting Kenya, Africa in October for a 2 week safari vacation, and
very much looking forward to taking my Canon 400D along for the ride :-)

However, i have a challenge...my accomodation in Kenya will be a tent camp
(at varying locations) and as such, there isn't any access to electrical
power points etc ( or showers and toilets for that matter!)

I've gotten batteries from ebay in the past. Much, much cheaper than OEM.
I've not done any tests to see if they perform as well as the Canon
batteries. Since you have a while, maybe buy one and try it out. If it
performs sufficiently, then order a few more from the same supplier. Good
luck!

I got a 3rd party battery from Wolf camera for a Nikon D70, it crapped
out in 2 months & the replacement did too but others have done better
than me.

You can buy from known makers/distributors and expect decent results,
but who knows about some of the stuff on Ebay that comes straight out
of China? Olympus was charging (crooks) $90/ea. for BLM-1 batteries
(much like the ones used in some Nikons, but with the third terminal
for sensing) and Optex (Canadian distributor) wanted $50 so I got the
second battery from them. Both units worked fine until I sold the
camera. However, there have been issues with some of the $10-$20
batteries on Ebay.

Old May 13th 07, 07:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
cmyk

However, there have been issues with some of the $10-$20 batteries on Ebay.

No more so than the issues that have plagued Sony, a major lithium-ion battery manufacturer by anyone's standards ... Just look at
how many Sony batteries have had to be recalled for laptops sold by Acer, Apple, Dell, Fujitsu, HP, IBM/Lenovo and Toshiba. Sanyo
and Kyocera have both had at least one major recall of mobile phone batteries too.

Oh, and don't forget Nikon's EN-EL3s (http://www.nikonusa.com/email_images...y/battery.html)

--
cmyk

Old May 13th 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

On May 8, 12:08 pm, "Matt Clara" wrote:
"the_niner_nation" wrote in message

.. .

I am visiting Kenya, Africa in October for a 2 week safari vacation, and
very much looking forward to taking my Canon 400D along for the ride :-)

However, i have a challenge...my accomodation in Kenya will be a tent camp
(at varying locations) and as such, there isn't any access to electrical
power points etc ( or showers and toilets for that matter!)

So, I now need a solution as I realise my 2 batteries for the 400d are NOT
going to be enough..I am hoping to take around 200-ish jpg photos a day
for 9 days, and even storage is a problem, as I have an acrchos 500 media
player I was going to use to back up my photos onto, but using it would be
a HUGE drain on power for both the camera and the media player.

I have friends kindly willing to loan me CF cards, so storage isn't a HUGE
problem, but what should i do about the battery problem?

I am willing to buy a further 2 MAYBE 3 more canon batteries, but these
things are not cheap at around £45 each.

All help appreciated

How about a cheap SLR and a bunch of film? I put a battery in my F3HP two
years ago--still going strong.

--www.mattclara.com

Or with no power, Olympus OM-1n, without a battery and colour negative
film? You could simply guess at the exposure and fire away,
bracketing, since the latitude on colour negative film is so wide.
You could even use an old cadmium light meter that uses no power to
guage exposure. I figure people who trek into mountain climb base
camps must use solar cells to recharge batteries.

Old May 13th 07, 06:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

Oh, and don't forget Nikon's EN-EL3s (http://www.nikonusa.com/email_images...dvisory/batter...)

--
cmyk

This is what happens when you sub-contract everything to Chinese
production with little or no oversight on the production.

Old May 20th 07, 05:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

: .. .
:
: However, i have a challenge...my accomodation in Kenya will be a tent camp
: (at varying locations) and as such, there isn't any access to electrical
: power points etc ( or showers and toilets for that matter!)
:
: I've gotten batteries from ebay in the past. Much, much cheaper than OEM.
: I've not done any tests to see if they perform as well as the Canon
: batteries. Since you have a while, maybe buy one and try it out. If it
: performs sufficiently, then order a few more from the same supplier. Good
: luck!

B&H sells 3rd-party batteries for the 400D with a higher mAh rating than
Canon's batteries at about half the price. So far, they've worked fine for me.

Bob
Old May 21st 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

On 2007-05-07 16:30:17 -0700, "the_niner_nation"
said:

I am visiting Kenya, Africa in October for a 2 week safari vacation, and
very much looking forward to taking my Canon 400D along for the ride :-)

However, i have a challenge...my accomodation in Kenya will be a tent camp
(at varying locations) and as such, there isn't any access to electrical
power points etc ( or showers and toilets for that matter!)

So, I now need a solution as I realise my 2 batteries for the 400d are NOT
going to be enough..I am hoping to take around 200-ish jpg photos a day for
9 days, and even storage is a problem, as I have an acrchos 500 media player
I was going to use to back up my photos onto, but using it would be a HUGE
drain on power for both the camera and the media player.

I have friends kindly willing to loan me CF cards, so storage isn't a HUGE
problem, but what should i do about the battery problem?

If your guide won't let you plug an inverter into his car, try this:

http://store.sundancesolar.com/5wahisprosob.html

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor