IrfanView: sometimes very slow loading

Old September 15th 15, 11:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
p-0''0-h the cat (ES)[_2_]

Default IrfanView: sometimes very slow loading

On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 18:00:29 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , p-0''0-h the
cat (ES) wrote:

agps can *receive* ephemeris from the cellular system rather than from
the satellites. the gps does not transmit anything.

an agps device does not need active cellular service, so there's no way
it could transmit even if it wanted to.

Don't be a berk. The A-GPS server is on the Internet not the base
station. Therefore it must send the cached satellite data over IP and
therefore over a cellular connection. Cellular connections are complex
and lossy and therefore require control protocols so the device must
transmit. Otherwise, how do you think the device can tell the base
station to resend data that was lost? By magic? LOL.

it doesn't ask to resend. it waits for the next transmission.

Ha Ha Ha. You're really funny. So how did the A-GPS server know to send
data to the device in the first place. I know, by magic....

it's not requested.

once again, no active cell service is required for agps to work, so it
couldn't send anything even if it wanted to.

*** WRONG *** *** WRONG *** *** WRONG *** *** WRONG *** *** WRONG
*** *** WRONG *** *** WRONG *** *** WRONG *** *** WRONG ***

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS

"An assisted GPS system can address these problems by using external
data. Utilizing this system can come at a cost to the user. For billing
purposes, network providers often count this as a data access, which can
cost money depending on the plan."

"To be more precise, "A-GPS" features are mostly dependent on an
internet network and/or connection to an ISP "

Do you get it now? Can you read? Here's a quote from the link you
snipped.

"Assisted GPS can help avoid this, solving the data connection issue by
linking to a web-based internet server (known as an assistance server)
that already holds the current satellite information. This information
is relayed to the device using GPRS (cellphone data connection service)"

http://gpssystems.net/agps/

*** READ IT!!! ***

*** THEN APOLOGISE FOR WASTING MY ****ING TIME ***

it can't request a retransmission even if it wanted to because an
active cellular plan is not required.

Why have you snipped the link that says A-GPS works over GPRS?

because that doesn't change anything. it can go over hspa or lte.

Yes, I said that. I said that it doesn't just use GPRS now.
Nevertheless, the fact that it can use GPRS shows that the bandwidth
requirements are very low, as I said.

*** AS I SAID ***

not only that but gprs is being shuttered:
http://blog.aeris.com/2G-GSM-GPRS-The-Shutdown-Begins

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

--
p-0.0-h the cat

Devil incarnate, Linux user#666, ******* hacker, Resident evil, Monkey Boy,
liar, total ******* retard, shill, pooh-seur, scouringerer,
the most complete ignoid, and furball.

NewsGroups Numbrer One Terrorist

By Appointment to God Frank-Lin.

Signature integrity check
md5 Checksum: be0b2a8c486d83ce7db9a459b26c4896

Old September 16th 15, 12:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
nospam

In article , p-0''0-h the
cat (ES) wrote:

"To be more precise, "A-GPS" features are mostly dependent on an
internet network and/or connection to an ISP "

that is incorrect.

the assisted aspect helps obtain an initial fix more rapidly but it is
it not required for an agps device to function.

under no circumstances is an agps device dependent on an internet
connection of any kind. period.

Do you get it now? Can you read? Here's a quote from the link you
snipped.

i get it. you do not.

"Assisted GPS can help avoid this, solving the data connection issue by
linking to a web-based internet server (known as an assistance server)
that already holds the current satellite information. This information
is relayed to the device using GPRS (cellphone data connection service)"

that doesn't say what you think it does.

an agps device *receives* the data. an agps does not *send* anything.
Old September 16th 15, 12:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 12:07:31 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , PeterN
wrote:

microsoft does notify users a lot but the download can be deferred.

however, deferring it is stupid because win10 is only free for a year.

Paying for it later could be worthwhile. My choice is to wait. All too
often free, is not free.

it's free if you download it in the first year. after that you pay for
it, at least based on the current plan.

you don't have to install it when you download it.

in other words, it's stupid to *not* download it now. you can still
wait as long as you want after downloading to install it.

When I downloaded it, Windows 10 installed itself, a process which
took several hours. At one stage I reverted to Windows 7, which was
very quick in comparison. My computer asked me why I was doing this,
no doubt so it could tell Microsoft.

I'm back on Windows 10 again which I find is far from a settled
product and I'm again thinking of going back to Windows 7. At least
six times now my computer has experienced l o n g downloads taking
between 1 and four hours. Sometimes these happen at night but at least
three have happened at about midday (my time). It's not so bad when
they happen at night as the first thing I know about it is that in the
morning my computer has restarted and I have to log on. But it's a
pain in the neck when they happen by day.

Once in the middle of the day when I knew my machine was running very
slowly, and I couldn't identify any process which might have been
responsible, I decided to reboot. Instead of the usual shut down
messages my screen turned blue and displayed 'Restarting', complete
with spinning balls. After about twenty minutes of this I went and got
a book. More than an hour later the machine eventually restarted.

Immediately following this, I was trying to use Word Perfect X6 but
all I could get was the splash screen. After several attempts I had
four splash screens, none of which I could do anything with. I
couldn't even remove them from the screen. Nor could I shut them down.
At this stage I decided to restart once again. This restart was quick
and I only managed to read about ten pages. Thank heavens, everything
seemed to be working normally and I had Word Perfect back again.

I'm not surprised that Microsoft is giving Windows 10 away: it still
seems to be in a beta phase and is changing every few days.

Eric Stevens
Old September 16th 15, 12:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
p-0''0-h the cat (ES)[_2_]

On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 19:04:31 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , p-0''0-h the
cat (ES) wrote:

"To be more precise, "A-GPS" features are mostly dependent on an
internet network and/or connection to an ISP "

that is incorrect.

the assisted aspect helps obtain an initial fix more rapidly but it is
it not required for an agps device to function.

under no circumstances is an agps device dependent on an internet
connection of any kind. period.

Why are you snipping the links? To save your sorry arse?

They both say different. Get over it.

[...]

Pray tell me what "This information is relayed to the device using GPRS"
really means then.

an agps device *receives* the data. an agps does not *send* anything.

Even if that was true, which it isn't, in order for the base station to
send data to the client the client device must register with the
cellular network. Does that occur by magic or does the client device
transmit to achieve that? Please say it doesn't transmit and prove you
know shag all about cellular networks. Please tell me it authenticates
using telepathy...

How does the A-GPS server know the device requires the data? Tell me.
The server is on the Internet. Telepathy perhaps?

Old September 16th 15, 12:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-09-15 23:38:21 +0000, "p-0''0-h the cat (ES)"
said:

On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 19:04:31 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , p-0''0-h the
cat (ES) wrote:

"To be more precise, "A-GPS" features are mostly dependent on an
internet network and/or connection to an ISP "

that is incorrect.

the assisted aspect helps obtain an initial fix more rapidly but it is
it not required for an agps device to function.

under no circumstances is an agps device dependent on an internet
connection of any kind. period.

Why are you snipping the links? To save your sorry arse?

SOP for nospam, get used to it if you choose to engage him in any sort
of debate.

Savageduck

Old September 16th 15, 12:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Paying for it later could be worthwhile. My choice is to wait. All too
often free, is not free.

it's free if you download it in the first year. after that you pay for
it, at least based on the current plan.

you don't have to install it when you download it.

in other words, it's stupid to *not* download it now. you can still
wait as long as you want after downloading to install it.

When I downloaded it, Windows 10 installed itself, a process which
took several hours.

only because you told it to install.

you can download win10 and defer the installation if you choose.

At one stage I reverted to Windows 7, which was
very quick in comparison. My computer asked me why I was doing this,
no doubt so it could tell Microsoft.

that's a reasonable thing to know.

a lot of companies want to know why you returned their product or
canceled membership because they can use that information to improve
future versions of the product so that fewer people reject it.
Old September 16th 15, 12:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
nospam

In article , p-0''0-h the
cat (ES) wrote:

"Assisted GPS can help avoid this, solving the data connection issue by
linking to a web-based internet server (known as an assistance server)
that already holds the current satellite information. This information
is relayed to the device using GPRS (cellphone data connection service)"

that doesn't say what you think it does.

Pray tell me what "This information is relayed to the device using GPRS"
really means then.

it means it's *sent* over gprs (or hspa/lte).

it does not mean that there's a two way exchange.

an agps device *receives* the data. an agps does not *send* anything.

Even if that was true, which it isn't,

it absolutely is true. see below for proof.

in order for the base station to
send data to the client the client device must register with the
cellular network. Does that occur by magic or does the client device
transmit to achieve that? Please say it doesn't transmit and prove you
know shag all about cellular networks. Please tell me it authenticates
using telepathy...

it doesn't transmit anything.

it obviously connects with the network but that's it. nothing is *sent*.

more importantly, there is no tracking information even if there was a
request for ephemeris.

i have an ipad with a gps and cellular radio but the cellular radio has
never been activated *ever*, yet it gets a gps fix almost instantly,
and in an area where there is no wifi.

explain that one.

how can it send a request when there's no active service plan?
Old September 16th 15, 01:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
p-0''0-h the cat (ES)[_2_]

On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 19:47:47 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , p-0''0-h the
cat (ES) wrote:

"Assisted GPS can help avoid this, solving the data connection issue by
linking to a web-based internet server (known as an assistance server)
that already holds the current satellite information. This information
is relayed to the device using GPRS (cellphone data connection service)"

that doesn't say what you think it does.

Pray tell me what "This information is relayed to the device using GPRS"
really means then.

it means it's *sent* over gprs (or hspa/lte).

it does not mean that there's a two way exchange.

You have no idea how the physical transaction works do you?

an agps device *receives* the data. an agps does not *send* anything.

********. Here's a bit of freeware to query an A-GPS server. Larf.

http://www.tajuma.com/supl/

Note the client sends a REQUEST to the server.

Even if that was true, which it isn't,

it absolutely is true. see below for proof.

in order for the base station to
send data to the client the client device must register with the
cellular network. Does that occur by magic or does the client device
transmit to achieve that? Please say it doesn't transmit and prove you
know shag all about cellular networks. Please tell me it authenticates
using telepathy...

it doesn't transmit anything.

it obviously connects with the network but that's it. nothing is *sent*.

What, you think you can register with a cellular network without sending
authentication. LOL. What do you think the SIM card is there for?

more importantly, there is no tracking information even if there was a
request for ephemeris.

i have an ipad with a gps and cellular radio but the cellular radio has
never been activated *ever*, yet it gets a gps fix almost instantly,
and in an area where there is no wifi.

explain that one.

how can it send a request when there's no active service plan?

Oh! gosh, I dunno. Can you send and receive MMS on your phone. If so
that uses GSM for the link and tada at least GPRS to download the
piccy.. so you see maybe your provider lets A-GPS through.

I have a 3 SIM card. I haven't paid for data on it for years. If I
connect using it it will register and allow me to use http to connect to
three.co.uk. No plan, but I get WAN.

Get it. The network decides what access you get.

Old September 16th 15, 01:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
p-0''0-h the cat (ES)[_2_]

On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 16:45:58 -0700, Savageduck

On 2015-09-15 23:38:21 +0000, "p-0''0-h the cat (ES)"
said:

On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 19:04:31 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , p-0''0-h the
cat (ES) wrote:

"To be more precise, "A-GPS" features are mostly dependent on an
internet network and/or connection to an ISP "

that is incorrect.

the assisted aspect helps obtain an initial fix more rapidly but it is
it not required for an agps device to function.

under no circumstances is an agps device dependent on an internet
connection of any kind. period.

Why are you snipping the links? To save your sorry arse?

SOP for nospam, get used to it if you choose to engage him in any sort
of debate.

It's character building.

For hir.

Old September 16th 15, 01:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 19:47:46 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Paying for it later could be worthwhile. My choice is to wait. All too
often free, is not free.

it's free if you download it in the first year. after that you pay for
it, at least based on the current plan.

you don't have to install it when you download it.

in other words, it's stupid to *not* download it now. you can still
wait as long as you want after downloading to install it.

When I downloaded it, Windows 10 installed itself, a process which
took several hours.

only because you told it to install.

Now I think of it, I used the Media Creation tool.