IrfanView: sometimes very slow loading

Old September 15th 15, 05:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
nospam

Default IrfanView: sometimes very slow loading

In article , PeterN
wrote:

microsoft does notify users a lot but the download can be deferred.

however, deferring it is stupid because win10 is only free for a year.

Paying for it later could be worthwhile. My choice is to wait. All too
often free, is not free.

it's free if you download it in the first year. after that you pay for
it, at least based on the current plan.

you don't have to install it when you download it.

in other words, it's stupid to *not* download it now. you can still
wait as long as you want after downloading to install it.
Old September 15th 15, 06:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
PeterN[_6_]

On 9/12/2015 4:08 PM, Mayayana wrote:
| Have you tried Win-10 yourself?

No. For a number of reasons. No blocking
updates. Ads. Spyware. No blocking calling
home. Metro apps. Any of those is reason
enough for me to stay away. As far as I'm
concerned, Microsoft have no more right
tracking my computer than Toyota does
tracking my movements, simply because I
drive a Toyota. So even for free I have no
intention of using such a product.

Today rights of privacy are almost meaningless. If you have GPS
installed, they can track you. If you use an EZ pass, you can be
tracked. The question everybody has to answer for themselves, is whether
the convenience gained worth the loss of privacy.

It would be like trying an iPhone. $600 for
a locked down device that controls what I
can install while Apple and half the apps spy
on me. That's not something I would consider
even if they gave them away for free. The
whole deal is simply unacceptable.

I suspect the loss of privacy is true to some degree with just about any
phone. You can be tracked through cell tower triangulation.

As for the Win10 beta, I've never understood
why people agree to do Microsoft's beta testing
for them for free. People think it's a privilege.
As far as I'm concerned they're just suckers,
working for free for a company that's taking
in some $50B/year.

There was a time when one was compensated for beta testing: A free copy
of the final product; Listing as an expert consultant in the use of the
product; a partnership that permitted you to receive the publisher's
products for a large discount. etc.

I mainly use XP. I also have Win7. I tried
Win8. Once. Metro is spyware. Metro is
services. None of it belongs on a Desktop.
Win8 is a mess, as far as I'm concerned.
I don't want to waste a lot of time trying to
adapt to a product I don't like and have no
need for.

I regard Win7 as somewhat usable. If I ever
have to move from XP, 7 might be OK. But when
I first used Win7 I actually spent about 2 weeks
figuring out how to clean it up -- fixing file
restrictions, setting up a firewall... It gets worse
with every version and I'm tired of wasting time
trying to tame things that Microsoft has made
inflexible. There are numerous little things. From
file restrictions to Quick Launch toolbar, NT6
(Win Vista+) requires one to jump through ever
more semi-secret tweaking hoops to make it
behave as desired. An OS is supposed to be a
*platform* for software. It should do it's job
and get out of the way. But that's not how it's
going with Windows versions.

My experience has been that each Windows
version is more overproduced, more bloated and
less flexible than the one before. Each needs more
fixing, and the fixing is becoming more limited. There
are also some advantages. For instance, XP is far
more efficient and hardier on the same hardware
than 98 was, providing it gets plenty of RAM. But
Win98 was more customizable and wasn't crippled
by Product Activation. At present I find XP to be
very usable. I can fix the things I don't like. And
there's nothing I need that XP can't do. That will
surely change eventually, but for the foreseeable
future there just isn't a selling point to later versions
of Windows, and there are numerous aspects I
don't like.

But I've been writing Windows software for
many years, and I like using Windows in
general, so I want and need to keep up with
what's happening. That's why I have so much
info and links. I've been told that my software
runs fine on Win10. Backward compatibility has
been maintained, for the most part. That's my
main concern. If I have occasion to get a free
Win10 PC I wouldn't refuse it. I could use it for
testing. I'd be curious. But I wouldn't let it go
online.

--
PeterN
Old September 15th 15, 06:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
PeterN[_6_]

On 9/12/2015 4:21 PM, Mayayana wrote:

http://cohornlaw.com/what-attorneys-...ow-about-windo
| ws-10-and-microsofts-new-privacy-policies/
|
| more bull****.

Read the privacy policy. Microsoft goes into great
detail about exactly what they collect and how much
of it is voluntary. Some of it also related to software.
For instance, if you use Cortana it will collect more info
in order to study you and predict what you want. One
can disable Cortana. (Though it still seems to call home.)
There's no need to argue about it. It's all spelled out.

In legal terms, here's another very interesting link.

http://wakeforestlawreview.com/readi...nd-privacy-law

You might not care about companies spying on you
and rifling through your communications, but what's
explained at the link above is how your passivity can
change your rights. Allowing spying changes the generally
accepted public standard about acceptible behavior. That
can then affect court rulings. Google has already tried
to use a defense that essentially says, "People can't
sue us for spying on them because it's common practice
and they should know we're spying on them."

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles...-action-status

Food for thought. Or in your case, food for reactionism.

It seems to me that those who claim they have nothing to hide, are those
who want to pry into my business.

--
PeterN
Old September 15th 15, 07:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

No. For a number of reasons. No blocking
updates. Ads. Spyware. No blocking calling
home. Metro apps. Any of those is reason
enough for me to stay away. As far as I'm
concerned, Microsoft have no more right
tracking my computer than Toyota does
tracking my movements, simply because I
drive a Toyota. So even for free I have no
intention of using such a product.

Today rights of privacy are almost meaningless. If you have GPS
installed, they can track you.

no they can't. a gps device does not transmit.

If you use an EZ pass, you can be
tracked.

yes.

The question everybody has to answer for themselves, is whether
the convenience gained worth the loss of privacy.

correct.

It would be like trying an iPhone. $600 for
a locked down device that controls what I
can install while Apple and half the apps spy
on me. That's not something I would consider
even if they gave them away for free. The
whole deal is simply unacceptable.

I suspect the loss of privacy is true to some degree with just about any
phone. You can be tracked through cell tower triangulation.

true.

As for the Win10 beta, I've never understood
why people agree to do Microsoft's beta testing
for them for free. People think it's a privilege.
As far as I'm concerned they're just suckers,
working for free for a company that's taking
in some $50B/year.

There was a time when one was compensated for beta testing: A free copy
of the final product; Listing as an expert consultant in the use of the
product; a partnership that permitted you to receive the publisher's
products for a large discount. etc.

that still happens.

windows insiders got win10 for free, even without win7/8.
Old September 15th 15, 07:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Caver1

On 09/15/2015 02:07 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

No. For a number of reasons. No blocking
updates. Ads. Spyware. No blocking calling
home. Metro apps. Any of those is reason
enough for me to stay away. As far as I'm
concerned, Microsoft have no more right
tracking my computer than Toyota does
tracking my movements, simply because I
drive a Toyota. So even for free I have no
intention of using such a product.

Today rights of privacy are almost meaningless. If you have GPS
installed, they can track you.

no they can't. a gps device does not transmit.

Many apps can use GPS to track you.

Old September 15th 15, 07:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
nospam

wrote:

No. For a number of reasons. No blocking
updates. Ads. Spyware. No blocking calling
home. Metro apps. Any of those is reason
enough for me to stay away. As far as I'm
concerned, Microsoft have no more right
tracking my computer than Toyota does
tracking my movements, simply because I
drive a Toyota. So even for free I have no
intention of using such a product.

Today rights of privacy are almost meaningless. If you have GPS
installed, they can track you.

no they can't. a gps device does not transmit.

Many apps can use GPS to track you.

no they don't and he didn't say gps apps anyway.

he said a gps installed. a gps *cannot* track anyone because it doesn't
transmit anything.

there are gps tracking devices but that's something entirely different
and intentionally installed so that tracking can be done, such as with
fleet vehicles.

as for apps, apps don't track users via gps because it will exhaust the
battery unless that's their purpose, in which case it's obvious.
Old September 15th 15, 07:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
PeterN[_6_]

On 9/15/2015 12:07 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

microsoft does notify users a lot but the download can be deferred.

however, deferring it is stupid because win10 is only free for a year.

Paying for it later could be worthwhile. My choice is to wait. All too
often free, is not free.

it's free if you download it in the first year. after that you pay for
it, at least based on the current plan.

you don't have to install it when you download it.

in other words, it's stupid to *not* download it now. you can still
wait as long as you want after downloading to install it.

You must also believe in free lunches.

--
PeterN
Old September 15th 15, 07:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
PeterN[_6_]

On 9/15/2015 2:07 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

No. For a number of reasons. No blocking
updates. Ads. Spyware. No blocking calling
home. Metro apps. Any of those is reason
enough for me to stay away. As far as I'm
concerned, Microsoft have no more right
tracking my computer than Toyota does
tracking my movements, simply because I
drive a Toyota. So even for free I have no
intention of using such a product.

Today rights of privacy are almost meaningless. If you have GPS
installed, they can track you.

no they can't. a gps device does not transmit.

Wrong. Most GPS devices that come installed in cars transmit location
information. Or, do you think that when I call Lexus Enform, or Onstar,
they use magic to know where I am, and whether I will have traffic along
my route.

Old September 15th 15, 08:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Today rights of privacy are almost meaningless. If you have GPS
installed, they can track you.

no they can't. a gps device does not transmit.

Wrong.

it's not wrong.

Most GPS devices that come installed in cars transmit location
information.

a gps navigation device does not transmit. period.

a gps *tracking* device transmits but that's something else entirely,
and obviously designed to transmit location. that's the whole point of
a tracking device. vehicles do not come with tracking devices.

fleet vehicles might have such a tracking device installed, but that's
because the company wants to know where their drivers are.

Or, do you think that when I call Lexus Enform, or Onstar,
they use magic to know where I am, and whether I will have traffic along
my route.

onstar is not a gps device.

onstar is a *service* which can use your gps location to call for help
and other stuff.

i'm not surprised you don't understand the difference.
Old September 15th 15, 08:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
p-0''0-h the cat (ES)[_2_]

On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 14:07:22 -0400, nospam
wrote:

Today rights of privacy are almost meaningless. If you have GPS
installed, they can track you.

no they can't. a gps device does not transmit.

Well yes, but that's a pretty simplistic view of the technologies now
used.

Many cellular phones use A-GPS in addition to GPS specifically to
improve time to first fix and that data is made available to emergency
call dispatchers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS

In addition if you use your cellphone as GPS in your car it may well
download travel data.

Mine does both.

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

--
p-0.0-h the cat

Devil incarnate, Linux user#666, ******* hacker, Resident evil, Monkey Boy,
liar, total ******* retard, shill, pooh-seur, scouringerer,
the most complete ignoid, and furball.

NewsGroups Numbrer One Terrorist

By Appointment to God Frank-Lin.

Signature integrity check
md5 Checksum: be0b2a8c486d83ce7db9a459b26c4896