Is the D600 overpriced?

Old October 8th 12, 03:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Default Is the D600 overpriced?

On 2012-10-06 12:28:06 -0700, Eric Stevens said:

On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 12:23:51 +0100, Bruce
wrote:

Robert Coe wrote:
On Fri, 05 Oct 2012 23:46:49 +0100, Bruce
wrote:
:
: Hence 'to pop your clogs" is a euphemism for death.
:
: Until I looked this up using Google I had thought the currency of
'pop
: your clogs' was much wider than it is. It was too obscure for an
: international forum such as this; for that I apologise.

Interesting. That one had sailed over my head entirely!

Another euphemism I use for death is "to snuff it".

It's a reference to the days before people's homes were lit by either
gas or electricity. If someone was ill in bed, they would have a
candle burning in the room at all times. When they died, the candle
would be extinguished or "snuffed out".

So people would say "X has snuffed it" to mean the person X died.

Then there is the expression used mainly by pilots when speaking of a
fatal accident, that so and so has "bought the farm".

"Bought the farm", is an expression developed in the U.S. military, and
not necessarily limited to airmen. Starting during WWII. U.S. Servicemen
carry a G.I. life insurance policy for combat death, which during WWII
paid, IIRC $10K. Given the high number of draftees, literally
conscripted off "the farm", $10K was a substantial contribution to help
pay off the mortgage on the family farm in the 1940's. Those about to
enter combat were usually reminded to make sure that their paperwork,
including their insurance information was up to date, so if anything
happened to them they would still be able to "buy the farm" for Mom & Dad.

That completes it. Thanks.

Two typical pilot expressions also originating in WWII were, "auger in"
& "crater".
"auger in" was descriptive drilling a hole for a grave, and of the

"Auger in" referred to an unrecoverable spin to the ground, actually and
predated WW II by a many years, possibly pre-WW-I. It was a "popular
press" reference generally despised by pilots.

--
"There were, unfortunately, no great principles on which parties
were divided – politics became a mere struggle for office."

Nikon D600 a compromise but ok Rich[_6_] Digital SLR Cameras 84 September 27th 12 09:31 PM
Nikon D600 Me Digital SLR Cameras 4 September 22nd 12 10:43 AM
First images of Nikon D600 with 24 MP FX sensor Chris Malcolm[_2_] Digital Photography 63 July 10th 12 02:07 AM
First images of Nikon D600 with 24 MP FX sensor Wolfgang Weisselberg Digital Photography 0 June 24th 12 07:27 PM
First images of Nikon D600 with 24 MP FX sensor Wolfgang Weisselberg Digital Photography 0 June 24th 12 01:35 AM