picking an intro level P&S

Old November 9th 08, 04:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
H.S.[_3_]

Default picking an intro level P&S

Hello,

I am looking for a P&S going to be a gift for a relative of mine. I am
looking for a battery-included (Li ion), at least 6 MP, reasonably good
picture quality and costing around $110 (in Canada) camera. There is
some leeway in the price. If the lens starts from 28mm, all the better.
Also, ease of use and no complicated controls are desired (the user is
not familiar with camera controls). So cameras in which menus are needed
for even routine typical touristy picture taking sessions are something
I want to stay away from.

Some of the ones I am looking at a
Nikon Coolpix 8MP Digital Camera (L18)
Fujifilm Finepix F480 8.2MP
Nikon Coolpix P50
Nikon Coolpix L16
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W110

I wanted to know of people can comment on these and if somebody can
suggest other models to look at. Obviously, given the constraints I
mentioned above, a camera with shorter shutter lag and good picture
quality is desired.

Thanks.

--
Please remove all caps,if any, from my email address to get the correct
one. Apologies for the inconvenience but this is to reduce spam.

Old November 9th 08, 05:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

H.S. wrote:
[...]

For an ultra-compact with a wide angle lens, look at the Sony Cyber-shot
DSC-W170. This is presently the only sub-compact with a Li-Ion battery,
wide-angle lens, optical viewfinder, and image-stabilization. Alas, it's
$225 (US).

Also look at the Fuji FINEPIX J150W, which has the 28mm wide-angle lens,
but lacks image-stabilization, lacks an optical viewfinder, and lacks
af-assist.

Personally I'd get the Canon A590 IS, and buy them some Eneloop
batteries and a charger. While Li-Ion batteries are highly desirable, at
the low end like that you're getting a very de-featured model in that
price range. Forget about the 28mm as well.
Old November 9th 08, 06:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"H.S." wrote in message
[...]

Quite a few of my friends have one of those elegant looking Lumix cameras,
I think they have suffix's like FX-30 or something similar after the word
LUMIX. One of he recent models starts at 25mm.

I had one but gave it away as a present to my friend, because I did not like
it, image was'nt up to standard, no manual etc. But my friend who had
previously had a compact film camera was thrilled. Another friend got one
after getting into photography via a camera phone.

As you can see, I have avoided selling a camera on its technical ability as
I think 99% of people that are asking about entry level cameras don't want
anything more than a small, good looking camera to take snapshots.

Old November 9th 08, 06:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

SMS wrote:
For an ultra-compact with a wide angle lens, look at the Sony Cyber-shot
DSC-W170. This is presently the only sub-compact with a Li-Ion battery,
wide-angle lens, optical viewfinder, and image-stabilization. Alas, it's
$225 (US).

One issue with Sony: all their cameras are using the proprietary Memory
Stick, which is often not supported by build-in card readers in e.g.
laptops and other devices. Not a big problem, just something to be aware
of.
A friend of mine was pretty desparate when once he couldn't find the
download cable and couldn't get the old photos off the camera before
going on a long trip to NewYork..

jue
Old November 9th 08, 07:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Steve[_12_]

On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 08:18:48 -0800, SMS
wrote:

H.S. wrote:
[...]

I was looking at that DSC-W170 until I saw it uses a Memory Stick
instead of SD or CF cards. I have quite a few SD and CF cards and
loathe going to yet another format.

Steve
Old November 9th 08, 07:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
H.S.[_3_]

SMS wrote:

For an ultra-compact with a wide angle lens, look at the Sony Cyber-shot
DSC-W170. This is presently the only sub-compact with a Li-Ion battery,
wide-angle lens, optical viewfinder, and image-stabilization. Alas, it's
$225 (US).

Yes, this is a bit pricey for this purpose.

Also look at the Fuji FINEPIX J150W, which has the 28mm wide-angle lens,
but lacks image-stabilization, lacks an optical viewfinder, and lacks
af-assist.

Don't mind the IS (helps only for about 1/2 a stop usually, right?),
neither the lack of optical viewfinder, but af-assist is usually helpful.

Personally I'd get the Canon A590 IS, and buy them some Eneloop
batteries and a charger. While Li-Ion batteries are highly desirable, at
the low end like that you're getting a very de-featured model in that
price range. Forget about the 28mm as well.

Yes, it is not wide angle. But wide angle aspect can be one of the
features to compromise. The A590 IS* is actually a quite good P&S
camera, but I am hesitant about the need for extra batteries. You see,
the intended recipient is a retired elderly who is not tech. savvy and I
want to keep the peripherals to the minimum, along with the weight.

I am presently also looking at cybershot DSC-S750. 7 MP camera, but
Steve's digicams web page shows some purple fringing .. which might not
be such a big issue for this particular situation.

* Earlier this year I gifted the A570 IS to my brother. A590 has only
more pixels, if I am not mistaken, and a bit lower fps while making a
movie. Otherwise it is similar to A570. But take great pictures though!
Hardly any purple fringing.

Old November 9th 08, 07:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
F.Harper

On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 09:40:03 -0800, Jürgen Exner wrote:

SMS wrote:
For an ultra-compact with a wide angle lens, look at the Sony Cyber-shot
DSC-W170. This is presently the only sub-compact with a Li-Ion battery,
wide-angle lens, optical viewfinder, and image-stabilization. Alas, it's
$225 (US).

One issue with Sony: all their cameras are using the proprietary Memory
Stick, which is often not supported by build-in card readers in e.g.
laptops and other devices. Not a big problem, just something to be aware
of.

An upside: I retrofitted an older Sony camera with a 4GB Micro-SDHC Class-6 and
MicroSD to Memory-Stick-Duo to Memory-Stick-Pro adapter set (3 nestings). An
instant 4gigs for $18 (card + adapters). Works just fine, probably much faster
than an original Memory-Stick-Pro, though I've not compared, educated guessing.
The camera reports the full capacity even though it was originally designed to
only accept up to 1GB memory-sticks, the largest size available when that camera
was made. Plus I get to use the Micro-SDs for holding a ton of audio-books and
tunes for my MP3 player until I need that space for photos, then just reformat
or delete the audio files on-the-fly. Listen to tunes and books while out on a
trek and shooting photos unless that memory space is needed. The audio-files can
always be replaced. The chance to get an award-winning photo may never happen
again. It's nice knowing there's that instant emergency backup storage space
available when I might need it, working double-duty like that.

The MicroSD cards also work just fine in all my other cameras with the
always-included Micro-SD to SD adapter that comes with them. Micro-SD cards and
adapters are a wonderful thing. Sometimes when purchasing new SD cards I now get
the MicroSD versions instead, just because of their multi-device adaptability.
Prices per gig can even be lower sometimes too because they're not in as high
demand. They can run a little bit slower (slightly) but if not often using
continuous (to card capacity) high-speed burst shooting modes they suffice just
fine.

You can make incompatibility work to your benefit. It just takes some
researching and purchasing savvy when looking for a work-around, then finding a
work-around that works and works well.

Yes MicroSD cards are amazingly small. For the average klutz it would be easy to
lose them. If I can keep track of a collector's postage-stamp and carry it
safely through 3 continents until I get home a Micro-SD card is even more
resilient and easy to keep track of. So much depends on the acuity and
discernment of the owner and how much they really value what they own. I have no
problems with the Micro-SD card size in this regard (losing them), others may
not be as observant and aware of their world around them. Micro-SD cards might
teach them to be more aware. Maybe that'll rub-off on their photography skills
too.

Old November 9th 08, 08:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Jürgen Exner wrote:
SMS wrote:
For an ultra-compact with a wide angle lens, look at the Sony Cyber-shot
DSC-W170. This is presently the only sub-compact with a Li-Ion battery,
wide-angle lens, optical viewfinder, and image-stabilization. Alas, it's
$225 (US).

One issue with Sony: all their cameras are using the proprietary Memory
Stick

False. The DSLR's all use CF. Some support both CF and MStick.

I have no issue against MStick except that I can get faster xfer speed
CF's and at a lower price / GB.

I really wish the a900 had a Firewire 800 (or even 400) instead of USB
2.0 however.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old November 9th 08, 08:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

H.S. wrote:

Yes, it is not wide angle. But wide angle aspect can be one of the
features to compromise. The A590 IS* is actually a quite good P&S
camera, but I am hesitant about the need for extra batteries. You see,
the intended recipient is a retired elderly who is not tech. savvy and I
want to keep the peripherals to the minimum, along with the weight.

Yeah, I've been there, done that. I got my mother a digital camera with
a dock. Stick it on the dock, it charges the internal NiMH battery, and
uploads the pictures to the computer.

* Earlier this year I gifted the A570 IS to my brother. A590 has only
more pixels, if I am not mistaken, and a bit lower fps while making a
movie. Otherwise it is similar to A570. But take great pictures though!
Hardly any purple fringing.

We've got two of the A570 IS. Since the A590 IS is a little worse than
what it replaced in terms of noise and fps, I bought a second A570 IS on
closeout for $129.

Even with Li-Ion you'll have an external charger as very few Li-Ion
battery powered cameras still have in-camera charging, which is too bad.
But at least they can't put the batteries in incorrectly.