hawk

Old January 5th 07, 10:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

Default hawk

I finally got a chance to experiment with my new 30D. Here's a
picture of a hawk (look for the featured image):

http://www.posted-online.com/

that I particularly like, and that shows what the camera can do.

Though the hawk was soaring through the desert, the camera's auto-focus
kept the bird sharp, and the resolving power of the sensor shows the
details of the bird's wings. You can almost imagine the bird has an
angry look on its face. Or maybe it's just determination....

I used the 17-85 USM IS lens, ASA 100 (I think), and the "standard"
picture setting.

-Joel
Old January 5th 07, 11:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mick Harris

"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" wrote in message

I finally got a chance to experiment with my new 30D. Here's a
picture of a hawk (look for the featured image):

http://www.posted-online.com/

that I particularly like, and that shows what the camera can do.

Though the hawk was soaring through the desert, the camera's auto-focus
kept the bird sharp, and the resolving power of the sensor shows the
details of the bird's wings. You can almost imagine the bird has an
angry look on its face. Or maybe it's just determination....

I used the 17-85 USM IS lens, ASA 100 (I think), and the "standard"
picture setting.

-Joel

Nice capture Joel, well done. It must have flown very close to fill the
frame with that lens.
ATB
Mick

Old January 6th 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Little Green Eyed Dragon

In article ,
(Dr. Joel M. Hoffman) wrote:

I finally got a chance to experiment with my new 30D. Here's a
picture of a hawk (look for the featured image):

http://www.posted-online.com/

that I particularly like, and that shows what the camera can do.

Though the hawk was soaring through the desert, the camera's auto-focus
kept the bird sharp, and the resolving power of the sensor shows the
details of the bird's wings. You can almost imagine the bird has an
angry look on its face. Or maybe it's just determination....

I used the 17-85 USM IS lens, ASA 100 (I think), and the "standard"
picture setting.

-Joel

Soaring,....right more than likely just let off the keepers glove
A tad washed out.

--
Would thou choose to meet a rat eating dragon, or
a dragon, eating rat? The answer of: I am somewhere
Old January 6th 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

I finally got a chance to experiment with my new 30D. Here's a
picture of a hawk (look for the featured image):

http://www.posted-online.com/

that I particularly like, and that shows what the camera can do.

Nice capture Joel, well done. It must have flown very close to fill the
frame with that lens.

Thbanks.

The hawk did not fill the frame. The photo on-line is cropped to
about the middle ninth of the full shot.

-Joel
Old January 7th 07, 01:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

I finally got a chance to experiment with my new 30D. Here's a
picture of a hawk (look for the featured image):

http://www.posted-online.com/

that I particularly like, and that shows what the camera can do.

Though the hawk was soaring through the desert, the camera's auto-focus
kept the bird sharp, and the resolving power of the sensor shows the
details of the bird's wings. You can almost imagine the bird has an
angry look on its face. Or maybe it's just determination....

Soaring,....right more than likely just let off the keepers glove
A tad washed out.

I took the picture during a live raptor show at the Arizona-Sonora
Desert Museum, a marvelous mostly outdoor museum that offers, among
other things, a demonstration of raptor flight. The birds, though at
least domesticated, fly around at full speed through the desert. (I
was also lucky enough to see a wild red-tailed hawk and some deer
while I was driving around Arizona.)

The point of the photo has less to do with the nature of the bird than
the impressive capabilities of the D30.

-Joel

Old January 7th 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mick Harris

[...]

Captive or not, it's still a good photo, (good detail & composition).
I have taken a few photos at raptor shows etc, but just because they
are captive doesn't make them any easier to capture in flight!
I was offered a red-tailed hawk only a couple of weeks ago (to buy) but
as much as I would have loved to have one, I just did not have the space or
time
to look after it properly.
I did get a few pics of a red-tailed hawk aprox 10 yrs ago, as when I was
out for a walk
one day, I met someone who was flying one.
Anyway, all the best, and good luck with your D30.
Mick

Old January 7th 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mick Harris

"Little Green Eyed Dragon" wrote in
message
(Dr. Joel M. Hoffman) wrote:

I finally got a chance to experiment with my new 30D. Here's a
picture of a hawk (look for the featured image):

http://www.posted-online.com/

that I particularly like, and that shows what the camera can do.

Though the hawk was soaring through the desert, the camera's auto-focus
kept the bird sharp, and the resolving power of the sensor shows the
details of the bird's wings. You can almost imagine the bird has an
angry look on its face. Or maybe it's just determination....

I used the 17-85 USM IS lens, ASA 100 (I think), and the "standard"
picture setting.

-Joel

Soaring,....right more than likely just let off the keepers glove
A tad washed out.

You should have called yourself "The Green Eyed Monster" ;-)

Old January 8th 07, 03:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
MarkČ

Mick Harris wrote:
[...]

Are you kidding? Sure it does.
You are being told that in one minute, a raptor will fly to such and such a
place.
In nature, there is no such predictability.

It's not a bad shot, but let's be honest about the difference between
captive and wild.
It ain't the same thing...

I was offered a red-tailed hawk only a couple of weeks ago (to buy)
but as much as I would have loved to have one, I just did not have the
space or time
to look after it properly.
I did get a few pics of a red-tailed hawk aprox 10 yrs ago, as when I
was out for a walk
one day, I met someone who was flying one.
Anyway, all the best, and good luck with your D30.
Mick

Is that a D30 (year 2000) or a 30D (2006)?
I'm assuming it's a new 30D.
I had the D30 before it met this violent death off a cliff in Arches
National Park...
....and I can assure you that its AF left much to be desired.
(Even prior to the death plunge)

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old January 8th 07, 02:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

I finally got a chance to experiment with my new 30D. Here's a
picture of a hawk (look for the featured image):

http://www.posted-online.com/

that I particularly like, and that shows what the camera can do.
[...]

Captive or not, it's still a good photo, (good detail & composition).
I have taken a few photos at raptor shows etc, but just because they
are captive doesn't make them any easier to capture in flight!

Are you kidding? Sure it does.

My point in posting the picture was really just to show what the 30D
can do. The fact that the bird was captive helped me find it, but it
was still soaring pretty quickly (Birds do that!), and, actually,
constantly readjusting its flight in the wind, too. The AF kept up,
the 3/sec burst mode was helpful, and the 8Mpix was enough to produce
the image. (Coming from slides, which effectively have some 10x as
much resolution, I was concerned.) I'm pretty sure I set the exposure
manually, though.

And yes, I'm using the 30D, not the D30, though I can't for the life
of my understand why Canon chose to release cameras with such similar
names.

-Joel

Joel M. Hoffman, PhD
http://www.exc.com/JoelHoffman

Old January 8th 07, 05:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Roberto

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
I'm pretty sure I set the exposure manually, though.

And yes, I'm using the 30D ...

You probably could confirm the exposure setting by looking at the exif
data in the original image.

I enjoyed the photo. The Arizona Desert Museum (near Tucson) is indeed
an interesting place -- to visit and for photos. I was fortunate to
experience one of their raptor free-fly demos in 2002. Here are some I
took with a D60.

www.shomler.com/other/raptors/

That earlier 6MP Canon had pretty good capture abilty.

-Bob Shomler

LI Hawk Alan Digital SLR Cameras 7 December 2nd 06 02:17 PM
LI Hawk Cynicor Digital Photography 1 November 28th 06 11:26 PM
LI Hawk Cynicor Digital SLR Cameras 1 November 28th 06 11:26 PM
LI Hawk Dan Sullivan Digital Photography 0 November 28th 06 07:26 PM
LI Hawk Dan Sullivan Digital SLR Cameras 0 November 28th 06 07:26 PM