Fuji FinePix S9000 9 Mega Pixel Camera Came Out 17 Mega Pixel?

Old November 14th 05, 01:31 PM
WannabeSomeone

Default Fuji FinePix S9000 9 Mega Pixel Camera Came Out 17 Mega Pixel?

I found that my Fuji FinePix S9000's output RAW file (.RAF) is 19,139,712
bytes. When the same photo is converter to TIFF (.TIF) by the accompanied
software (FinePix Viewer), it becomes 53,321,728 bytes, and Windows
indicates it has a resolution of 4864x3648. That will be 17,743,872 pixels.
After conversion to JPEG by Adobe PhotoShop Elements 4.0, Windows still
indicates the resulting JPEG file is 4864x3648.

Then I tried to shoot in JPEG 9 Mega Pixel Fine mode. The resulting file
shows 3488x2616 (9,124,608 pixels) just like the specifications of the
manual claimed.

Can anybody explain the above phenomenon I can get 17 mega pixel using RAW
mode?

Best Regards,

Wannabe
=======

Old November 14th 05, 04:04 PM
~~NoMad~~

Looks like some Technician at the factory substituted one of the FinePix
S18000 sensors in your camera!

NM

Old November 14th 05, 04:31 PM
Matalog

No, I read a review somewhere that this is what happens on them all - search
in google (that's how I came across it) I don't remember what it said.

Old November 14th 05, 05:00 PM
WannabeSomeone

"~~NoMad~~" wrote in message
Looks like some Technician at the factory substituted one of the FinePix
S18000 sensors in your camera!

NM

I don't think a wrong sensor can work in a different model. It will be nice
if it is the case. I'll run out and buy a few more before they found out.

Wannabe
=======

Old November 14th 05, 05:09 PM
WannabeSomeone

"Matalog" wrote in message

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fuji...000/page14.asp

In addition to the standard file browsing software (FinePix Viewer),
Fujifilm supplies only the most basic raw conversion software with the
S9000. Raw File Converter LE offers no control over the conversion process,
simply spitting an 8-bit TIFF file out the other end. Interestingly no one
seems to have told Fuji's software group that they don't double the
resolution of Super CCD files any more, as Raw Converter LE spits out
immense 4864 x 3468 pixel, 17 megapixel TIFFs, each of which weighs in at
just over 50MB.

I checked the link above. That explains why I am getting 17 meg out of a 9
meg camera.

The TIFF file size is 3 times the 17 meg resolution. That means the TIFF is
using 3 bytes for each pixel, or 8 bits for each color of the RGB.

My PhotoShop Elements 4.0 cannot read the CCD-RAW file (.RAF). I may have to
wait for the updates.

Thanks for the link.

Wannabe
=======