Write a file to the SD card (in the camera?)

Old January 5th 08, 10:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peetie Wheatstraw

Default Write a file to the SD card (in the camera?)

Write a file to the SD card (in the camera?)

Desktop system with Intel D865 mobo, USB 2.0 fully supported. Win2000
sp4, Intel USB 2.0 drivers.

Canon A560 with 1 gb PNY SD card.

The cam is new, I'm still getting used to it.

I now find I've got to write a file (ver.req) to the SD card just to
get the flogging firmware version.

I haven't been doing much with USB other than downloading pics.

When you connect your cam to an XP system, does it show (i.e. in Win
Explorer) as just another drive (i.e. D: or F: or H? It doesn't
on my Win2k system.

I need to do "native I/O" using the SD card as storage. Can I do this
while the SD is in the cam? Do I have to buy an adapter for direct
SD plug-in?

Thanks,
Peetie
Old January 6th 08, 04:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
flambe

But the adapter. They are not expensive.
Most card readers are faster than downloading from the camera anyway.

Old January 6th 08, 04:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Randy Berbaum[_2_]

"Peetie Wheatstraw" wrote in message
Write a file to the SD card (in the camera?)

Desktop system with Intel D865 mobo, USB 2.0 fully supported. Win2000
sp4, Intel USB 2.0 drivers.

Canon A560 with 1 gb PNY SD card.

The cam is new, I'm still getting used to it.

I now find I've got to write a file (ver.req) to the SD card just to
get the flogging firmware version.

I haven't been doing much with USB other than downloading pics.

When you connect your cam to an XP system, does it show (i.e. in Win
Explorer) as just another drive (i.e. D: or F: or H? It doesn't
on my Win2k system.

I need to do "native I/O" using the SD card as storage. Can I do this
while the SD is in the cam? Do I have to buy an adapter for direct
SD plug-in?

Thanks,
Peetie

Disclaimer: I have no direct experience with your camera so my comments are
general in scope.

Each camera manufacturer handles USB support differently. Some allow the
camera to act like an external card reader/writer and for those you would
have no problem moving or copying a file to the card in the camera even tho
the camera itself won't recognize the file. Other cameras show up as an
external drive but file transfers go through the recognition software and
any file format that the camera can't recognize willbe rejected. And still
other cameras can be stubborn about transferring any file that the camera
didn't create.

So I would suggest getting an inexpensive card reader/writer and skipping
the camera/usb. In a card reader the card has the functions of an external
HD and it doesn't care what the file format is. I have a card reader that I
carry with my camera that is tiny and is under $20 (and will handle the
4+gig cards).

Of course if someone comes along with direct experience of your camera I
would listen to their advice over mine.

Randy

Old January 6th 08, 09:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Matt Ion

Randy Berbaum wrote:
[...]

FWIW, I found it faster transferring via a USB 1.1 card reader, than
directly from any camera I've tried plugged into a USB 2.0 port.
Old January 7th 08, 07:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bob Williams

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:
Write a file to the SD card (in the camera?)

Desktop system with Intel D865 mobo, USB 2.0 fully supported. Win2000
sp4, Intel USB 2.0 drivers.

Canon A560 with 1 gb PNY SD card.

The cam is new, I'm still getting used to it.

I now find I've got to write a file (ver.req) to the SD card just to
get the flogging firmware version.

I haven't been doing much with USB other than downloading pics.

When you connect your cam to an XP system, does it show (i.e. in Win
Explorer) as just another drive (i.e. D: or F: or H? It doesn't
on my Win2k system.

I need to do "native I/O" using the SD card as storage. Can I do this
while the SD is in the cam? Do I have to buy an adapter for direct
SD plug-in?

Thanks,
Peetie

As others have wisely suggested, forget about reading/writing to the
card in your camera. If you don't want an external card reader attached
to your computer, I suggest you get an Internal USB 2 Card reader.
I bought this one and it works/looks good. Price is great too.

See: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16821104104
In my experience, Newegg is a very reliable company to do business with.
Bob Williams
Old January 7th 08, 03:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peetie Wheatstraw

Thanks for all replies.

I think I found a fiddle-silly fix.

Write a file (i.e. "ver..req") to SD card (in camera):

1.) Connect USB and download something
2.) CameraWindow - Set camera tab
3.) Uploads images to the cam
4.) Browse (and type filename doublequoted)
5.) "As is"
6.) Pray

At least I was able to determine by nook/crook the firmware version.

Cheers,
Peetie