Are consumer digital cameras useless for diving?

Old April 18th 07, 02:06 PM posted to aus.sport.scuba,rec.photo.digital,rec.scuba,rec.scuba.equipment,rec.scuba.locations
Michael C

Default Are consumer digital cameras useless for diving?

I've noticed a couple of questions regarding dive cameras so thought I'd
continue the trend. A friend spent $700 on a 6mp cannon camera with a dive
case. I've noticed most of the pictures suffered from a severe lack of light
and the camera automatically went to a long exposure causing many of them to
be blured. Those that weren't blurred were quite dull. Only closeup shots
were acceptable really. After having a look at the pics I'm kinda of the
opinion that only a high quality camera with a full size lense (to let more
light in) and a good external flash would be required to get acceptable
photos. Is this true? I'm not a camera zealot if anyone is wondering as I
quite happily take shots out of the water with a compact and reckon it is
pretty good. I usually dive around the 18 metre mark.

Here's some examples:
http://mikesdriveway.com/misc/dive2.jpg
http://mikesdriveway.com/misc/elizaramsden124.jpg

Old April 18th 07, 03:15 PM posted to aus.sport.scuba,rec.photo.digital,rec.scuba,rec.scuba.equipment,rec.scuba.locations
Bryan Heit

Michael C wrote:
[...]

Common digital cameras (and film cameras) can work quite good under
water. However, some are better then others. That said, even the most
expensive camera will have difficulties if not setup properly. Some
general advice (others will probably expand on this a lot):

1) Get an external flash. The flash on cameras is too close to the lens
to be of use - instead of illuminating the subject, these flashes just
tend to light up the silt and floaties in front of the camera. An
external strobe can be placed to the side, which causes this backscatter
to occur away from the lens.

I suspect this may be a problem with your photos.

2) Get close to your subject. Water tends to scatter light, so the
farther away you are from your subject the less clear the picture will
appear. About the only way to get amazingly high-detailed shots is in
macro mode. Also, water tends to absorb red/yellow light, so getting
close will also help restore some colour (if you are using a flash).

3) Shallower subjects will generally image better, as less sun light
will be absorbed, giving you more light to work with.

4) Composition. Many divers will "hide" some of the problems underwater
photography has by making sure their subject(s) are against a colourful
background, etc. This'll help hide things like backscatter, and reduce
the "flat" appearance of blue-water shots (like your ray). The general
rule is "get close, get low, shoot up".

5) White balance. Most digital cameras give you some degree of control
over white balance. Try playing with it to see if you cannot get more
colourful images.

Lastly, although it's too late for you, when picking a digital camera
you want to look for one with good low-light capabilities. dpreview.com
does a good job of reviewing camera, and most of their tests involve a
low-light test.

Bryan
Old April 18th 07, 03:35 PM posted to aus.sport.scuba,rec.photo.digital,rec.scuba,rec.scuba.equipment,rec.scuba.locations
[email protected]

On Apr 18, 9:06 am, "Michael C" wrote:
I've noticed a couple of questions regarding dive cameras so thought I'd
continue the trend. A friend spent $700 on a 6mp cannon camera with a dive
case. I've noticed most of the pictures suffered from a severe lack of light
and the camera automatically went to a long exposure causing many of them to
be blured. Those that weren't blurred were quite dull. Only closeup shots
were acceptable really. After having a look at the pics I'm kinda of the
opinion that only a high quality camera with a full size lense (to let more
light in) and a good external flash would be required to get acceptable
photos. Is this true? I'm not a camera zealot if anyone is wondering as I
quite happily take shots out of the water with a compact and reckon it is
pretty good. I usually dive around the 18 metre mark.

Here's some examples:http://mikesdriveway.com/misc/dive2....ramsden124.jpg

Well .. not really the case... you do have to make some changes to the
base settings. pics bellow were all shot on a Canon A95 5MP PnS. OK so
they aren't the best thing going but I can't afford 20+K I would need
for the camera I really want.

The biggest difference I found was to not use the cameras underwater
setting and make sure the flash is always on.

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cay..._HNnGBFoy.QH_z

Old April 18th 07, 05:16 PM posted to aus.sport.scuba,rec.photo.digital,rec.scuba,rec.scuba.equipment,rec.scuba.locations
Sheldon

"Michael C" wrote in message
u...
[...]

The problem with most inexpensive cameras is that they adjust the shutter
speed to set the proper exposure, so when the light drops the shutter speed
goes down causing blurred pictures. While a flash is best underwater for
good color and clear pictures, you can try raising the ISO speed on the
camera (if adjustable). The photos should look fine, and this will give the
camera a chance to raise the shutter speed so your photos aren't blurred
anymore.

Old April 18th 07, 06:51 PM posted to aus.sport.scuba,rec.photo.digital,rec.scuba,rec.scuba.equipment,rec.scuba.locations
Bill Funk

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 23:06:27 +1000, "Michael C"
wrote:

[...]

I don't dive, but I stayed in a Motel 8 last night...

Underwater photography is always going to be a fight to get enough
light. A faster lens (smaller f/number) will help immensly, as will a
very good flash.
The less expensive dive cameras, and the housings for others, don't
have any special capabilities other than the ability to keep water
out, that would make them better able to somehow get around the lack
of light.
If you watch the Planet Earth series for the underwater episodes,
you'll see that they must pick their opportunities carefully to get
clear water, and they use some pretty pricey gear. Your samples show
pretty much what's normal for amateur divers with time and money
constraints.

Hillary Clinton postponed her meeting with
the Rutgers women's basketball team Monday
due to weather. The team forgave a middle-aged
white guy for humiliating them in front of the
entire world. Hillary wanted to go there to
collect her royalty check.
Old April 18th 07, 08:18 PM posted to aus.sport.scuba,rec.photo.digital,rec.scuba,rec.scuba.equipment,rec.scuba.locations
Elliott Goldstein

for photos that are not macro, it is possible to get good pics without
the use of a strobe or internal flash (which i found to be really
poor) http://www.public.asu.edu/~elliotg/
is my web site. all the pics were taken with an old sony P7 (3MB)
camera, no flash but with a red filter. all the pics still had to
processed through photoshop (god's gift to underwater photography)
elliott

Old April 18th 07, 08:25 PM posted to aus.sport.scuba,rec.photo.digital,rec.scuba,rec.scuba.equipment,rec.scuba.locations
[email protected]

As one goes deeper (more than about 5 metres) the changes in light
cause a colour distortion. Red is lost and blues are slightly
intensified, thus the need to change settings. Take your digital pics
to a developer familiar with developing underwater pictures(or mail
them off to one). If they are knowledgeable, they will modify the
developer to compensate for the light changes, resulting in clear
pictures that more closely match the real colours underwater.

Old April 19th 07, 02:20 AM posted to aus.sport.scuba,rec.photo.digital,rec.scuba,rec.scuba.equipment,rec.scuba.locations
Dan Bracuk[_2_]

"Michael C" pounded away at his keyboard resulting
in:
:
:Here's some examples:
:http://mikesdriveway.com/misc/dive2.jpg
:http://mikesdriveway.com/misc/elizaramsden124.jpg

There are lots of good answers here already. Hopefully you read them.

arrogance
The most important part of any camera, either underwater or on land,
is the person holding it. I use a commercial digital camera with only
4 megapixels and I do ok. I don't use an external flash and have
recently started to attempt underwater photos with natural light only.
So it can be done.
/arrogance

While I do ok, I still reject at least 75% of my shots for various
reasons. Sometimes they are duplicates (if you want good pictures
take lots) or sometimes they are sub-standard for one reason or
another.

If you are just getting started, thank your lucky stars that you are
not using film. And keep at it. Experience matters.

Dan Bracuk
If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure.

Old April 19th 07, 05:44 AM posted to aus.sport.scuba,rec.photo.digital,rec.scuba,rec.scuba.equipment,rec.scuba.locations
nanook

The water in your examples seems pretty cloudy.

Here's some shot in Maui in 06 using a Canon SD500 with Canon's case

Max water depth was about 30 feet (turtle in hole shot)

Out of probably 150 to 200 shots, 20 or 30 were keepers of any
quality.

Some were shot within 5 feet of the surface

http:\\bshellenbaum.smugmug.com click on the Maui folder.

One thing the P&S do that the more expensive SLRs don't, is video and
it makes a real difference putting together a DVD of the vacation.

The year before my daughter and I were diving at Molokini crater and I
was shooting video with the canon elph, while capturing a shark
swimming below us, we heard whale song and it was captured as well.
Pretty darn cool.
Old April 19th 07, 05:21 PM posted to aus.sport.scuba,rec.photo.digital,rec.scuba,rec.scuba.equipment,rec.scuba.locations
soxmax

I bought the FujiFilm Finepix F30 and associated underwater case. The
F30 has an "underwater" setting. I think I paid a total of $480 for
the package but that was the weekend following Thanksgiving last year.
The quality is certainly not professional but it was worth $480 to me.
One nice thing about digital is that you can take a thousand poor
quality pictures (which I did) and it doesn't cost you a dime.

http://soxmax.myphotoalbum.com/

The photos are of diving in Tortola with a few of the Rhone wreck up
to 80 feet depth. I think there is also a surface picture.

Best Regards,
Derek