Battery grip question

Old August 11th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

Default Battery grip question

Are Canon battery grips operational when there's a battery in the
camera but no batteries in the grip?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Old August 11th 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Randall Ainsworth

In article m,
wrote:

Are Canon battery grips operational when there's a battery in the
camera but no batteries in the grip?

You can't do it that way. There's a battery-sized thing that goes up in
the cavity where the battery would be and makes contact inside the
camera.
Old August 12th 06, 12:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mark B.

wrote in message
s.com...
Are Canon battery grips operational when there's a battery in the
camera but no batteries in the grip?

Since the battery grip installs into the battery compartment, it's
impossible to have a battery in the camera at the same time :-) You can
put 1 or 2 batteries in the grip.

Mark

Old August 12th 06, 08:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Silicon Sam

Mark B. wrote:
wrote in message
s.com...
Are Canon battery grips operational when there's a battery in the
camera but no batteries in the grip?

Since the battery grip installs into the battery compartment, it's
impossible to have a battery in the camera at the same time :-) You can
put 1 or 2 batteries in the grip.

Mark

And also, the 2 batteries act as 1. Meaning they both drain down
together, not one then the other as some had thought. I have the grip
on my 300D

Raymond

Old August 20th 06, 01:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
SkipM

"Jim Redelfs" wrote in message

Would you please reveal the ADVANTAGE (need?) for a grip.

It's been 19 months since I bought my 20D. At the same time I bought the
camera, I bought a spare [drumroll] Canon (brand) battery pack, among
other
things. I use the 580EX hotshoe flash more than the built-in flash.

A single, internal battery lasts me "forever". Admittedly, I prefer
using
the 580EX hotshoe flash but have noticed that, when using the built-in
flash,
the battery draws down faster. Still, I have never had to change packs in
hurry.

I am beginning to believe that, for me anyway, the biggest "plus" to a
battery
grip would be its effect as a counterweight: As it is, when the hotshoe
flash
is mounted and the whole affair is hanging from my neck, it tends to
flop-over
and hang up-side-down!
--

JR

Since I shoot a lot of portrait style images, the controls on the grip,
which orient correctly when holding the camera vertically, are a great help.
That and it gives me a little extra purchase, with the last two fingers of
my hand having somewhere to rest. Third, since I use a lot of IS lenses, I
found my self changing batteries frequently, and the flash frame I use
blocks the battery door on my cameras. The grip kills one bird with two
stones on this issue, the extra battery lasts as long as I need it to, and
the battery door on the grip gives me access (which I haven't needed) with
the bracket mounted. It does make it easier, though, to get the batteries
out to recharge without taking the bracket loose.
Unfortunately, the whole assembly still flops and hangs upside down...G

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old August 20th 06, 04:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jim Redelfs

In article ,
"Mark B." wrote:

Since the battery grip installs into the battery compartment, it's
impossible to have a battery in the camera at the same time :-) You can
put 1 or 2 batteries in the grip.

Would you please reveal the ADVANTAGE (need?) for a grip.

It's been 19 months since I bought my 20D. At the same time I bought the
camera, I bought a spare [drumroll] Canon (brand) battery pack, among other
things. I use the 580EX hotshoe flash more than the built-in flash.

A single, internal battery lasts me "forever". Admittedly, I prefer using
the 580EX hotshoe flash but have noticed that, when using the built-in flash,
the battery draws down faster. Still, I have never had to change packs in a

Old August 20th 06, 04:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Todd H.

Jim Redelfs writes:

I am beginning to believe that, for me anyway, the biggest "plus" to a battery
grip would be its effect as a counterweight: As it is, when the hotshoe flash
is mounted and the whole affair is hanging from my neck, it tends to flop-over
and hang up-side-down!

Yup, I agree. That and the vertical trigger button.

I own the battery grip, but tpyically only use it in situations where
I'm using my long lenses and shooting sports that lend themselves well
to vertical composition.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Old August 20th 06, 05:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
G.T.

Todd H. wrote:
Jim Redelfs writes:

I am beginning to believe that, for me anyway, the biggest "plus" to a battery
grip would be its effect as a counterweight: As it is, when the hotshoe flash
is mounted and the whole affair is hanging from my neck, it tends to flop-over
and hang up-side-down!

Yup, I agree. That and the vertical trigger button.

I own the battery grip, but tpyically only use it in situations where
I'm using my long lenses and shooting sports that lend themselves well
to vertical composition.

And on a Rebel XT it adds room to hold on to the camera. Not as
important on a 20D or 30D.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine
Old August 20th 06, 11:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mark B.

"Mark B." wrote:

Since the battery grip installs into the battery compartment, it's
impossible to have a battery in the camera at the same time :-) You
can
put 1 or 2 batteries in the grip.

Would you please reveal the ADVANTAGE (need?) for a grip.

Extra battery life is nice, but that's not my primary reason. I use it for
1) easier grip on the camera and 2) vertical shutter release.

[...]

That's how I carry it with a flash attached.

Mark