Archival inks for i9900

Old July 10th 04, 02:13 AM
Gene Palmiter

Default Archival inks for i9900

When I have questions like this I go to
http://www.large-format-printers.org/ for unbiased reports.

"Bill Jaynes" wrote in message
om...
Hello,
The Canon i9900 looks like it will be a great photo printer to compete
with the Epson 2200. Does anyone know of archival inks for it that
last as long as those for the Epson?
Thanks,
Bill

Old July 10th 04, 05:03 AM
Douglas

The bad part is the site is not kept up to date! They only update once or
twice a year.Printers and inks change more often then that! Unbiased,maybe.
Useful,not to me!

Old July 10th 04, 07:36 AM
Skip M

"Bill Jaynes" wrote in message
om...
Hello,
The Canon i9900 looks like it will be a great photo printer to compete
with the Epson 2200. Does anyone know of archival inks for it that
last as long as those for the Epson?
Thanks,
Bill

I talked to a Canon rep about a similar subject the other day, why Canon
doesn't produce pigmented inks, or a printer capable of using them. Her
answer was that it would cut down on the print speed of the head, and
possible clogging. (see numerous complaints about Epson clogging...)
BTW, I am extremely happy with the results from my i9000S, and the 9900
looks like a significant improvement. Canon ink on Canon paper gives about
35 years of print life, better than many photographic papers. Why is it
that photographers and consumers expect more from an inkjet print than they
get from film?

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old July 10th 04, 09:07 AM
Kakadu

The life of a Canon print is claimed to be 25 years. In reality it can be as
low as 3 months before showing degradation. Canon will never equal the print
like of Epson because the companies have totally different goals.

The way to make a Canon print last is to laminate it. If you laminate photo
glossy paper, you have to be sure the edges are overhanging because it is
possible to peel off the laminate! Better choice is to buy a cheaper Epson
printer using dye inks. Even these will outlast Canon prints by at least
double.

I had a S9900 and I was forced to replace hundreds of prints I made with it
when they shifted colour to a sickly orange and began to fade. I use a Canon
camera but if I had my time over again, I'd never own another Canon product.
Their scanners are crap. They lie about the performance of their products
and they lie about the lasting ability of their prints.

Doug

Old July 10th 04, 12:19 PM
stanb

"Skip M" wrote in message
"Bill Jaynes" wrote in message
om...
Hello,
The Canon i9900 looks like it will be a great photo printer to compete
with the Epson 2200. Does anyone know of archival inks for it that
last as long as those for the Epson?
Thanks,
Bill

I talked to a Canon rep about a similar subject the other day, why Canon
doesn't produce pigmented inks, or a printer capable of using them. Her
answer was that it would cut down on the print speed of the head, and
possible clogging. (see numerous complaints about Epson clogging...)

In 12 months with a 2100 not had a clog yet.. even after not being used for
a few weeks... the only thing I agree with here is that it could be faster

BTW, I am extremely happy with the results from my i9000S, and the 9900
looks like a significant improvement. Canon ink on Canon paper gives

about
35 years of print life, better than many photographic papers. Why is it
that photographers and consumers expect more from an inkjet print than

they
get from film?

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

I beleive if you read the fine print you will find that the 35 years is in
archival conditions .. ie protected from air and light ( not displayed)..
Epson claim 45 years when exposed to light under glass on their pigmented
inks on premium semigloss and longer on Matte. They are also water proof and
relatively immune to gas fading ( I've had exposed canon PPP fade within 3
months - Prints from the 2100 in the same exposed conditions look as good as
they did when printed after nearly a year ) .

Old July 10th 04, 01:00 PM
YoYo

With the ink that comes with the i9900 and the 4x6 paper it comes with I
printed a color photo and stuck it on my window ledge. The ledge that faces
the sun & this was done 3 months ago. The photo has gotten rain moisture
and UV every day and no change in the photo at all!! I am leaving this
photo there until I see it degrade.

I am very happy with the print quality!!!!