Dial set Compur shutter help

Old March 19th 04, 04:14 AM
st

Default Dial set Compur shutter help

I have a compur shutter that I need to try to find a main spring for. The
shutter is a dial set compur. O.D is approx 79mm (about 3.1 in) and the
thread diameter for the flange is about 44mm (about 1.75 in). Markings on
the face say D.R.P No258648 D.R.G.M. Patent dates are March 31, 1914 and
December 29, 1914. Markings on the shutter speed dial say ICA Dresdin. For
what it is worth, the lens mounted in the shutter is a Carl Ziess Jenna
Tessar 15cm f 4.5 lens. If anyone can provide some info about the origin of
the shutter, what camera it originally came with may help. Any help is
appreciated.

Old March 20th 04, 11:46 AM
Richard Knoppow

"st" wrote in message
I have a compur shutter that I need to try to find a main

spring for. The
shutter is a dial set compur. O.D is approx 79mm (about

3.1 in) and the
thread diameter for the flange is about 44mm (about 1.75

in). Markings on
the face say D.R.P No258648 D.R.G.M. Patent dates are

March 31, 1914 and
December 29, 1914. Markings on the shutter speed dial say

ICA Dresdin. For
what it is worth, the lens mounted in the shutter is a

Carl Ziess Jenna
Tessar 15cm f 4.5 lens. If anyone can provide some info

about the origin of
the shutter, what camera it originally came with may help.

Any help is
appreciated.

I don't have a source for parts for these old shutters.
You might try a couple of the shutter repair technicians,
they might have something but would probably want to repair
the shutter. I will list some below. Like anything else
nearly eighty years old parts may be hard to find.
Compur shutters were made by Fredrick Deckel, in Munich.
The dial set was made from about 1914 to about 1930, after
that it was replaced with the rim set version. The Compur is
based on the clock work regulator invented by Theodore Bruch
of the Ilex company in Rochester N.Y.
ICA on the shutter indicates it came from an ICA camera
company, which became part of the Zeiss-Ikon combination in
1926. ICA did not make the shutter or lens.
Dial set Compurs have spiral clock motor type springs
which are contained in an assembly under the cocking lever.
I don't think spring were ever available separately, the
entire motor assembly was replaced. Rim set type Compur
shutters mostly have helical springs (screen door type
springs). Curiously, Compur went back to the spiral type
spring for their late Synchro-Compur shutters.

Ken Ruth
Photography on Bald Mountain
Davenport, CA

831-423-4465
Phone calls Wed & Thur 9-5 and Fri 9-Noon.
http://www.baldmtn.com/

Paul Ebel
Shutter Repair
1 715 778 4372
w230 Terrace Street, Box 86; Spring Valley, WI
54767.

I don't think Paul has e-mail or a web site.

W. W. Umbach dba Z-V Sevice
1410 Seafarer Dr; P O Box 754
Oriental, NC 28571
(252) 249-2576, FAX (252) 249-3924

For old Zeiss and Voigtlander cameras

There are others but I don't have contact information.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old March 31st 04, 10:09 PM
Neil Purling

Is there a reasonably reliable way of establishing the age of a dial-set
Compur shutter withing the two dates of 1914 & 1930.
I have one from a Goerz Tenax 9x12 containing a
Doppel Anastigmat 13cm f6.8.
No sn on the lens.
This is going to go onto my Crown Graphic.

Old April 6th 04, 12:22 PM
Richard Knoppow

"Neil Purling" wrote in message ...
Is there a reasonably reliable way of establishing the age of a dial-set
Compur shutter withing the two dates of 1914 & 1930.
I have one from a Goerz Tenax 9x12 containing a
Doppel Anastigmat 13cm f6.8.
No sn on the lens.
This is going to go onto my Crown Graphic.

I have never seen any serial number data for Deckel shutters. There
were some changes over the life of the shutter but I don't have
specific stuff that would help date it. The lens might be more help,
is there anything else written on it beside the above? Goerz changed
the names of the Dopple Anastigmat Type A to Dagor in 1900. However,
that substantially predates the shutter. When I get home I will look
up the Tenax in McKeown's to get the manufacturing dates, that's about
the best I can offer.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Old April 6th 04, 12:47 PM
Jean-David Beyer

Richard Knoppow wrote:
"Neil Purling" wrote in message ...

Is there a reasonably reliable way of establishing the age of a dial-set
Compur shutter withing the two dates of 1914 & 1930.
I have one from a Goerz Tenax 9x12 containing a
Doppel Anastigmat 13cm f6.8.
No sn on the lens.
This is going to go onto my Crown Graphic.

I have never seen any serial number data for Deckel shutters. There
were some changes over the life of the shutter but I don't have
specific stuff that would help date it. The lens might be more help,
is there anything else written on it beside the above? Goerz changed
the names of the Dopple Anastigmat Type A to Dagor in 1900. However,
that substantially predates the shutter. When I get home I will look
up the Tenax in McKeown's to get the manufacturing dates, that's about
the best I can offer.

Here is one datapoint, in case you are making up a list:

Meyer Gorltiz Nr.982076 Weitwinkel Aristostigmat 1:6.3 f=12cm is on
F.Deckel-Munchen Compur (rim set) shutter A477709. The shutter has no
flash contacts, has a built-in self-timer, T, B, 1, 2, 5, 10, 25, 50,
100, 200 settings. Whatever its age, everything started working, and
still works, once I had Marty Forscher and one of his merry men CLA the
thing. Before that, the self-timer did not work, and when it did not,
nothing else worked either.

I did have to take it apart many years ago because the aperture blades
were not working right. They look symmetrical, but they are not. They
are thin metal (probably stamped) with tiny steel pins staked through
them. The pins look symmetrical, too, but they are not, and if you put
one in upside down, they come out. It took a while to figure that out. I
could not measure the difference, but I could feel it with my fingers.

/V\ Registered Machine 241939.
^^-^^ 07:35:00 up 5 days, 3:50, 2 users, load average: 4.04, 4.06, 4.00