Can I turn off the info when viewing pics on camera / TV? Nikon coolpics

Old October 12th 04, 05:44 AM
Dirk

My Nikon 8700 has a button marked "display." Pushing it hides all the
information and just shows the image.

Mark

"Jim" jkc84xx@optonline(take this and XX out).net wrote in message
t...
Would anyone know if there is a way to turn off all of the info that pops

up
when viewing the pictures on the camera monitor or on the TV? I may not be
asking this right (New to this camera AND newsgroup stuff). When I

playback
/ view the pics I get stuff that says Nikon and the picture #, battery

level
(?), the date and time the picture was taken etc blocking a lot of the
picture. A lot of times this info is right on the part of the picture I

want
to see. Also - it takes away from letting my family and friends view the
picture as I took it when I show them on the TV to everyone. It's also a
pain when viewing on the camera monitor as I can't tell if the picture is
good or should be deleted and try again. I read the manual - came up

empty.

Thanks!

Jim / NJ

PS- Will the picture #'s ever start again at zero too? It's up into the
hundreds but I downloaded all images and wiped the card (Or so I thought).
When I viewed last on the TV - there were only about 15 recent shots.

Old October 12th 04, 10:00 PM
Jim

Default Can I turn off the info when viewing pics on camera / TV? Nikon coolpics

Reply at bottom. A friend said that's where they should go. true?

"Ed Ruf" wrote in message
On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:51:26 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Jim"
jkc84xx@optonline(take this and XX out).net wrote:

picture as I took it when I show them on the TV to everyone. It's also a
pain when viewing on the camera monitor as I can't tell if the picture is
good or should be deleted and try again. I read the manual - came up

empty.

There is a display button which toggles this info displayed on/off.

PS- Will the picture #'s ever start again at zero too? It's up into the
hundreds but I downloaded all images and wiped the card (Or so I

thought).
When I viewed last on the TV - there were only about 15 recent shots.

There should be a setup menu item to allow you to either have the photos
incrementally increase, remembering what the last on the card was, or to
reset every time the images on the card are deleted.

If you'd tell us what model it was we might be able to provide more
detailed answers.
Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 )
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 and D70 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com

Thanks for the replies and sorry to forget the model. I put Nikon coolpics
but I guess that's like saying Chevy and it could be any model. Again, I am
new to both groups and digital cameras and sometimes feel too old to learn
but really want to understand. It's a Nikon coolpics 3200 and THANKS to all
who replied.

I figured out how to turn off the info stuff I was seeing on the screen and
TV - THANKS!! It worked like a charm. Owners manual had a blip about it too
but not where I thought it would be. Each night I RE-read the manual - a few
pages at a time. I need to watch the CD and read the online manual too I
found. I transferred the pictures last night (first time for me) and I ended
up with hundreds (Only 40 were on camera) in several spots like picture
perfect (?) and in the my pictures folder - all in 3 MP so took a lot of
space I'm sure. Need to learn how to do this right.
I also need to learn how to only transfer / download the pictures I want -
not all. There's about 25 on the card we want to keep on there to show
people. They download every time too. Just want to save them on the card.
I also need to learn how to shrink the size for Emailing. I sent a couple
and they were big files. If the online manual and cd don't help - I will ask
the group. I feel like I owe everyone a drink for all the help already.
THANKS again,
Jim / NJ

Old October 13th 04, 10:10 PM
Jim

Thanks Ed! I created a folder and all worked great. I just can't do the
transfer from camera to PC or they all come out. I have to just open then
card and download from there. I looked at some of your pictures too -
hopefully I will get good too.

Just trying to figure out this newsgroup stuff is driving me NUTS let alone
the camera! I'm not a super PC person. I couldn't find any replies as they
went off my ISP already. A friend said to look on google for it - I found
them there but not your reply. I did a find and yours came up but not
others. Then I couldn't open yours - I tried again and it opened. I know
it's something I am doing wrong.

Jim

"Ed Ruf" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:00:06 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Jim"
jkc84xx@optonline(take this and XX out).net wrote:

I figured out how to turn off the info stuff I was seeing on the screen

and
TV - THANKS!! It worked like a charm. Owners manual had a blip about it

too
but not where I thought it would be. Each night I RE-read the manual - a

few
pages at a time. I need to watch the CD and read the online manual too

The PDF copy of the manual is your best friend, as you can search it
electronically by keyword. Helps to find those tidbits of information that
may not be where you might expect them to be.

found. I transferred the pictures last night (first time for me) and I

ended
up with hundreds (Only 40 were on camera) in several spots like picture
perfect (?) and in the my pictures folder - all in 3 MP so took a lot of
space I'm sure. Need to learn how to do this right.

Something to consider. Many of us do not use the manufacturer supplied
software to transfer photos. Depending upon your OS the camera itself will
most likely mount as a removable drive and you could use Windows Explorer
to select and move or copyy/paste what files you want, where you want

them.
In fact many of us use simple card readers, so we never connect the camera
itself to the computer. This is a generic or universal method which will
work no matter what you may upgrade to in the future.

I also need to learn how to only transfer / download the pictures I

want -
not all. There's about 25 on the card we want to keep on there to show
people. They download every time too. Just want to save them on the card.
I also need to learn how to shrink the size for Emailing. I sent a couple
and they were big files. If the online manual and cd don't help - I will

ask
the group. I feel like I owe everyone a drink for all the help already.

You could create another folder for those photos you want to leave on the
card all the time.

Old October 13th 04, 11:50 PM
Jim

That explains some. I still can't see these posts on my ISP but they're
there when I search them.
I tried to send this below to your Email but it came back:

I replied to your post but wanted to say thanks personally. You were a big
help. I have many more questions to ask the group in time once I figure out
how to find them if I don't sign in for a couple days etc. And if I can't
find the answers when I print the entire manual that is on the CD that came
w/ my coolpix 3200. I want to learn this stuff but it's frustrating too. I
will get the hang of it all. Biggest issue now is the lag time. I wanted to
take a band playing shot and by the time the picture went took - he was
turned around. Same w/ dog shots - can't keep him posed long enough for
camera to take the picture (Used to 35mm instant I guess). Also need to
learn how to shrink so I can Email. I send to people and they can't open.
Again, this may all be in the manual that I plan on printing and reading.
Jim

"Ed Ruf" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 21:10:52 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Jim"
jkc84xx@optonline(take this and XX out).net wrote:

Just trying to figure out this newsgroup stuff is driving me NUTS let

alone
the camera! I'm not a super PC person. I couldn't find any replies as

they
went off my ISP already. A friend said to look on google for it - I found
them there but not your reply. I did a find and yours came up but not
others. Then I couldn't open yours - I tried again and it opened. I know
it's something I am doing wrong.

I have a philosophical disagreement with the Google Groups copyright
statement. As such I set a special header (X-archive = no), which Google
does honor and hence does not archive any of my posts.

Old October 13th 04, 11:54 PM
Jim

PS- How did you see my reply to your post? May I ask? It's not on my ISP
newsgroup nor google anymore. I found it by going to find and typing in my
subject but that's because I was looking to see if anyone replied to my
post. You wouldn't do a search for this thread. I ask so that maybe there's
a way for me to do this easier.

Jim

Old October 14th 04, 08:00 AM
Kath Adams

Ed Ruf wrote:
[...]

I have to concur with Ed, that it is FAR easier to not connect the
camera to the PC, wastes battery power, does things you don't want etc.
I use a card reader and Windows Explorer, shows up as G drive when it's
plugged in. Just drag and move to a folder on my HD.
--
Kath Adams
MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

Old October 14th 04, 10:47 PM
Jim

"Ed Ruf" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 22:50:49 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Jim"
jkc84xx@optonline(take this and XX out).net wrote:

That explains some. I still can't see these posts on my ISP but they're
there when I search them.
I tried to send this below to your Email but it came back:

Something must be misconfigured in OE. This is a real address that is not
munged at all. I've never used OE so I can't help you here.

[...]

You shouldn't have to print the manual off the CD. Unless Nikon has

changed
something this should be just a PDF copy of the printed manual you get

with
the camera.

Lag is an issue with P&S digicams. You can't compare to film SLR's, it's

an
apple & oranges comparison. You can check the review on
http://www.dpreview.com for how bad it is. That said however, there are
things you can do to help minimize the lag:

1. Turn off continuous auto focus. This will require you not to use the
fully automatic mode and at least switch to using programmed mode if
possible. I couldn't find a manual for it on the Nikon USA site.

2. Look at the auto focus area modes, turn to off if possible (5700

trick).

3. Pre-focus by half pressing shutter release button. Also try setting
infinity focus.

4. Try turning the LCD off.

For shrinking, ie resizing images, probably the easiest tool for a

beginner
is one of the best free tools out there, Irfanview, available at:
http://www.irfanview.com Be sure to get the plugins as well.
Also easy batch resizining/resampling of whole groups or directroies of
photos.
Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 )
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 and D70 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com

Thank you. I will try everything you said. The half shutter down is what
gets me - I push half way to focus and then all the way - by that time the
"car" has passed, the "band" has changed positions or the "dog" has moved.
Tried it on a coaster (Nitro at Six Flags) from 230' and by the time it took
the shoot we were doing 90 MPH so it didn't look good. I tried to get it at
the top when the car is barley moving.
I printed the manual from the CD today. It's a SUPER detailed manual with
all kinds of neat stuff. Nothing on this CD is anything that is in the book.
I printed so I could read and try rather then jump back and forth between CD
and camera. Also because the eyes are going I think. Easier to read printed
then on the PC screen. This manual has trouble shooting, uninstall /
install, advanced tricks for using the software to fix up pictures, advanced
details on how to save / copy / print/ Email, burn to CD you name it. Even
how to organize. It looks like a Nikon 3200 bible. If I read and learn
this - I may actually be able to answer someone else's question. At least
for a Nikon 3200. I'm sure a pro would tell me this stuff is for beginners
compared to what is out there but it's a start. If I enjoy this as a hobby
as I think I will, I will ask for help on what products to buy / use from
camera to software.
Jim