Scratches on slides

Old September 27th 04, 01:00 PM
Adam Del-Monte

Default Scratches on slides

Hi all,

I got back my 2nd batch of slides I've ever used and I'm certainly happy
with the quality of slides in general. However on about 50 percent of the
slides (on two different films) there is a thin reddish vertical line (I'm
assuming its a scratch), I can only really see these scratches when they are
against blue sky, so they could be in the other, more crowded shots (at the
moment I'm just looking through the slide against the window), I'm going to
scan them in and check when I have the time. The scratch is just off centre
to the right, in the upper quarter of the image, its about 3-4mm in length.

I'm pretty sure its not the film, as the scratches go across two different
films. I'm pretty sure its not my camera as scratches should really be
horizontal rather than vertical (as the film is transported), and I've never
had this problem before. I'm pretty sure its not dust or hair as the
scratches are very straight. Also, I took three films with me, one processed
paid (which were all fine) and two processed separately (these have the
problems). This leaves me to believe it was the processor :-( Do people
agree? And more importantly where in the processing procedure could this
have happened?

Hopefully, Photoshop will be able to repair these ills, but its quite
annoying nevertheless.

Thanks,

- Adam.

Old September 27th 04, 04:27 PM
Alan Browne

Adam Del-Monte wrote:

scratches are very straight. Also, I took three films with me, one processed
paid (which were all fine) and two processed separately (these have the
problems). This leaves me to believe it was the processor :-( Do people
agree? And more importantly where in the processing procedure could this
have happened?

Can you talk directly to the processor and ask him/her?

Hopefully, Photoshop will be able to repair these ills, but its quite
annoying nevertheless.

If your scanner has ICE, then it could be repaired that way (scratch or dust/hair).

Old September 27th 04, 04:37 PM
Adam Del-Monte

Can you talk directly to the processor and ask him/her?
Aye, I'm going to, I just wondered if anyone could educate me so that I
could have a more meaningful discussion with them (i.e. they may want to
divert blame).

Hopefully, Photoshop will be able to repair these ills, but its quite
annoying nevertheless.

If your scanner has ICE, then it could be repaired that way (scratch or

dust/hair).
Good point, my scanner has ICE, it'll be interesting to see how it handles
it.

Cheers,

Adam.

Old September 27th 04, 05:48 PM
Phil Stripling

"Adam Del-Monte" writes:

scratches are very straight. Also, I took three films with me, one processed
paid (which were all fine) and two processed separately (these have the
problems). This leaves me to believe it was the processor :-( Do people
agree? And more importantly where in the processing procedure could this
have happened?

Without seeing them, I can't make a definitive speculation :-, but I'd
guess that the film was improperly loaded on the developing reel. I've had
this happend to me, and I've done it myself when loading film to develop at
home.

I'd talk to the processor. I've had this happen at good places who've
replaced the film (their only liability in most cases in the US) or both
replaced the film and refunded my money. (Again, assuming my speculation is
miraculously correct.) If the processor can point to a specific reason
other than his or her error, give it some thought to see if it seems
reasonable. Some may deny falsely, but some may have the reason they're not
responsible. Who knows?
Old September 28th 04, 02:16 PM
Bandicoot

"Phil Stripling" wrote in message
"Adam Del-Monte" writes:

scratches are very straight. Also, I took three films with me, one
processed paid (which were all fine) and two processed separately
(these have the problems). This leaves me to believe it was the
processor :-( Do people agree? And more importantly where in the
processing procedure could this have happened?

Without seeing them, I can't make a definitive speculation :-, but I'd
guess that the film was improperly loaded on the developing reel. I've had
this happend to me, and I've done it myself when loading film to develop
at home.

I'd talk to the processor. I've had this happen at good places who've
replaced the film (their only liability in most cases in the US) or both
replaced the film and refunded my money.

It is worth trying to get better than that if you can: you may not succeed,
but try it. I had a lab. forget to apply a two stop push to a roll of B&W
once, and although their only legal liability was the cost of the film, for
the sake of keeping my business they spent a lot of time hand printing all
the best images from the roll to slavage as much as they could. On the same
basis, maybe you could convince them - assuming it is their fault, and it
sounds like it - to do ICE-ed scans for you.

Peter

Old September 28th 04, 10:40 PM
Adam Del-Monte

After scanning them in, I can see that they are not scratches but anomalies
in the actual colour of the slide film. ICE doesn't touch it. I emailed the
processor the scanned images and zooms of the marks and they asked me to
send the 'damaged' slides in to them.

Well, I'll do that, and see what happens next...

Cheers,

- Adam.

Old slides v recent slides [email protected] 35mm Photo Equipment 11 September 29th 04 02:28 AM
Scanning 35mm Slides MATT WILLIAMS Film & Labs 16 July 2nd 04 08:41 AM
Kodachrome (K-14) vs. Ektachrome (E-6) Color Slides Jeff L In The Darkroom 6 February 16th 04 02:25 PM
Dark Slides don't fit ARE NOT X-RAY Slides Ken Smith Large Format Photography Equipment 1 January 23rd 04 04:45 PM