[SI] Dusk or Dawn is available mid day!

Old September 14th 11, 08:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

Default [SI] Dusk or Dawn is available mid day!

On 9/14/2011 1:36 PM, Savageduck wrote:
snip

I am feeling lazy, so I will only comment where my comment differs from
the Duck

Well, there still seems to be some life in the SI and we had quite a
variety of ideas beyond those typically expected of dusk/dawn shots.

Bowser:
#1; The pano, I like this and the quiet sense of place and time it evokes.
#2; Another nice shot showing us an early morning, fresh & deadly amanita.

Bowser did a good job capturing the glow.

#3; Fair enough shot, but this one does not work for me. It seems murky
in some way, with composition and crop which is not quit right.

The buoys are distracting. I would heal over the buoy in the left, and
do an "L" crop to a line on top of the left cloud and just to the left
of the right buoy. With this crop the boat will be coming into the
picture and the excess sky deleted.

Irwell:
DUSK #1; Nice framing of the shot with the long shadows thrown by the
"Toby" mug and other stuff. I would have preferred to not have the right
of egg cropped.
DUSK #2 & #3; In both of these shots the long shadows tell the story.
Good idea in setting the time of day.

In # 2 I would have liked to see the urn more on the right, if possible,
so its shadow becomes more if the picture, as in #3.

EricS:
Dawn; A good capture of morning stillness at first light.
Dusk; Nice drama, but I think the timing was slightly off. Perhaps if
you had shot a few minutes earlier, or maybe a few minutes later. I
guess you had to be there.
Arctic Circle; The only sense of place comes from your title. I know you
were probably on a ship, but there is no real reference, and it seems to
be more of a snapshot than a deliberately composed shot.

PeterA:
Alpha; I know it was dawn, but this one doesn't really do it. There is
something about the color, contrast, and exposure which doesn't seem right.

To me the exposure and color are fine. I just would have liked to see
something, such as a ship, or some birds to give it a bit more life. I
know PeteA and I have had this discussion before. But if it wasn't
there, I would put it there. ;-)

Industry; This is the type of shot you have perfected. In this case you
have everything right the sense of time and fitting your theme just works.
Omega; Three lightships in a row. I like it, and like "Industry" you
have everything right. BTW, how common is the use of lightships today?

I really like the reflections. I would have made a pano by trimming out
about 2/3 of the sky.

Bob Coe:
#1; The shadows and light across the empty parking lot make the shot,
but what darn good are a closed Nathan's and ice cream parlor?
#2; Shadows & light again, maybe one problematic blown highlight on the
crest of the flower.
#3; This is the best of your three, the ribbon of filtered light running
across the yellow flower tops makes this one for me.

Martha Coe:
#1; Nice depot, I just wish they hadn't turned on the lights, I feel
that there is more potential in this image which could be brought out
with some tweaks to the contrast and brightness.
#2; The time of day might be right, but this one does not work for me.
It might be the subject, it might be the composition, it might be my taste.
#3; ...and here is your great shot. The subdued tone and fading light in
the greenhouse with the reflection on the wet floor makes this work.

EricS
I like the way the trees and bridge frame and separate the sky and
water. (at least to me it looks like water.)

Tim Conway:
Duskdawn-old; Nice silhouette and textures sky. Very evocative of the
evening glow.

the monochromatic treatment enhances the scene. The rowboat adds a sense
of purpose and anticipation to this peaceful scene. The tint makes it
look old. Nicely done.

Paul Furman:
5998; A horn player in the dusk. Forget the fuzziness it is great, I
like it.

there is a sense of mood, but for some reasons the softness of the horn
player is distracting to me.

DanP:
#1; Different with an interesting effect. The zoom exposure does add to
the overall image, I just wonder why f/14.
#2; Nice color in the sky for the sunset, but not unexpected for this SI.

focus distance .03 M?

Otter:
Eye in Sky; Nice. The evening light is just right to demonstrate the
time and yet have the foreground structures identifiable, without having
the stereotypical "golden" or "red" sunset.

I like the overall composition. Just to pic a nit, the boat light in the
river is a mild distraction. I would have toned it down a smidge.

Savageduck (yours truly):
#1; This is about 2 miles from my place.

Kudos. The "Y" cloud formation adds a lot of interest and balances the
tree line on the left. Nice capture.

#2; The San Ardo oil field is a Chevron operation along the Salinas
river, about 25 miles North of my place.

I wish you hadn't told me it was an oil fled. It has an ethereal feel
that I would have expected from a group of guys hunting the Bigfoot.

#3; Down at the coast at San Simeon State Beach, shot from the pier,
with the light filtered through very thick marine layer fog.

Based upon my experiences n CA, I would not have classified that haze as
very think. Moderately think, yes. When on the PCH I have been in fog so
thick I could not see the road.
Back to the image, I like the gradations of tone and the leading lines.
A jogger would have turned it into an excellent image.

AlanB:
old; Nice filtered light through the clouds, with the minutes before
dark capturing the vastness of that expanse across the valley.
#2; Nice, interesting color and reflections on the water. I know this is
Ektachrome, but did you also use any other filters?

Peter Chant:
#1 & #2; Both of these capture the feel of the fair in the early
evening. Very nice.

Peter Newman: (these are the ones for this SI, right?)

(Embarrassed yes.)

Lighthouse; See, it's not too tough to get it right. Faded light on the
building and golden glow on the horizon.

Got lucky, I guess. I was stopped for speeding, explained that I was
rushing to catch the sunrise. Fortunately the officer was a photographer
and was very understanding.

Sausage & Peppers; "highly post processed" No kidding! It does deserve
the imaginative shot of this SI comment.

Playing with the polar co-ordinates filter in PS is fun.

Sunset lovers; I get the move to the abstract, but while interesting in
terms of a processing exercise, I just don't see it working outside of
the 1967-69 time period.

??

thanks for your comments.

As always, thanks to all for playing.

--
Peter
Old September 14th 11, 08:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-09-14 11:50:47 -0700, DanP said:

DanP:
#1; Different with an interesting effect. The zoom exposure does add to
the overall image, I just wonder why f/14.
#2; Nice color in the sky for the sunset, but not unexpected for this SI.

I did a manual zoom with the shutter open long enough, hence f/14,
longer exposure. That was from my old flat living room, believe it or
not, we have moved out of that place last week.

Your sunset through the fog looks great, I've never seen fog over the
sea in the evening.

DanP

I am not sure where you are, but the "marine layer" effects most of the
California Coast in the Summer. Over on the Central Coast between Pismo
Beach, up through Morro Bay, and up to Big Sur, we usually experience a
pretty thick "marine layer" in the Summer and sometimes it can persist
all day. Usually the inland Summer inland "high" pressure pushes this
layer well offshore during the day.
When you drive to the coast from Paso Robles on Hwy 46, when the
"marine layer" is in, you look over this thick blanket of fog with the
coast not visible at all.

It is the "marine layer" which is responsible for the thick fog up in
San Francisco giving us those images of the Golden Gate Bridge towers
sticking up through the soup.

http://image.photography5.com/343544...California.jpg

Savageduck

Old September 14th 11, 08:38 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

Default Dusk or Dawn is available mid day!

On 9/14/2011 12:04 PM, Irwell wrote:
On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 20:50:40 -0700 (PDT), otter wrote:

On Sep 13, 5:40 pm, wrote:
The Dusk or Dawn gallery is posted, and it's a very healthy gallery,
too. Some nice shots in there. Take a look, and offer a friendly
critique, if you dare.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/duskdawn

Wow! Some very nice shots this time.

I especially liked, in no particular order:

Peter N The beak - very nice, but not sure of the tie to dusk or dawn
Tim Conway Old - it just grabbed me when I looked at it
Dan P #1 - The motion draws me in
Alan B#2 - Great red color
Peter Chant - both of them nice - surreal
Bowser #1 - like a painting
Duck - all 3 very nice
Peter N - sausage& peppers - how many pictures did you submit? Or
are there 2 Peter Ns? Very striking picture.
Irwell - I liked all three, but not exactly sure why.
and I liked many of the rest, but would feel foolish just to list
everyone.

Seriously, I think this is the best collection I've seen from this
group. Good job!

I too liked the Peter Chant, love the way the old steam engines
are belting away whilst the chatting folks look disconnected from
all the activity.

Hope those people were disconnected. It looks like the steam engines
were generating electricity. duck

--
Peter
Old September 14th 11, 08:47 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-09-14 12:25:25 -0700, Bruce said:

Savageduck wrote:

Remember this is not in any sense a competition, or an exercise in
photographic excellence

Therein lies the problem.

No problem.

We just have further confirmation that you are all bluster and no
substance, and no courage to verify all you spew.

As of this moment every SI submission, even the most mediocre, is
superior to anything you seem to be able to produce, unless you care to
prove us wrong.

You appear more and more pathetic in the stance you maintain regarding
your fine, yet invisible work.

If you are not going to submit any images, then take the time to detail
what it is about each image you find unappealing to you.

Savageduck

Old September 14th 11, 09:03 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Stuffed Crust[_2_]

In rec.photo.equipment.35mm Bowser wrote:
The Dusk or Dawn gallery is posted, and it's a very healthy gallery,
too. Some nice shots in there. Take a look, and offer a friendly
critique, if you dare.

/delurk

I have a thing for dawn/dusk shots, but during this mandate I didn't
take anything new that I cared to submit. But I have a huge pile of
suitable archived shots to draw upon.

Ugh, need to participate more..

- Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet dot org
Melbourne, FL ^^ (mail/jabber/gtalk) ^^
Old September 14th 11, 09:06 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Pete A

On 2011-09-14 20:31:56 +0100, PeterN said:

On 9/14/2011 1:36 PM, Savageduck wrote:
snip
PeterA:
Alpha; I know it was dawn, but this one doesn't really do it. There is
something about the color, contrast, and exposure which doesn't seem right.

To me the exposure and color are fine. I just would have liked to see
something, such as a ship, or some birds to give it a bit more life. I
know PeteA and I have had this discussion before. But if it wasn't
there, I would put it there. ;-)

I had you in mind while I thought about submitting this image - there
*is* a ship in it. You didn't specify that you wanted one more than a
few pixels in size

Have a look at the full-size "original" image: it's just left of centre
on the horizon. I've even sharpened it for you.

Old September 14th 11, 09:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
PeterN

Old September 14th 11, 09:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-09-14 13:17:18 -0700, DanP said:

Savageduck
1 Nice. Is it HDR?

Yup! Five shot exposure +-1 steps. I wanted something different
otherwise I would have ended up with a stereotype "burning sky" sunset
with strong foreground silhouette. Something like this.
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC_9531w.jpg

2 Too much fog and subject too far away.

Yup! I was shooting across the Hwy. 101 with my 70-300mm VR in
non-light through that river fog. If I had waited, even a few more
minutes longer for better light, it would have just been an ugly
oilfield in the morning.

3 Love it.

Thanks.

DanP

Savageduck

Old September 14th 11, 10:15 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
irwell

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 19:00:15 +0100, Bruce wrote:

It's the same old rubbish from the same old people - and I emphasis
*old* - which will elicit the same old comments of mutual admiration
that it always does.

This is only my second submission to this fun filled mandate.

I also resent being called 'old', I am only 84 and a half.
Old September 14th 11, 10:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

On 2011-09-13 15:40:58 -0700, said:

The Dusk or Dawn gallery is posted, and it's a very healthy gallery,
too. Some nice shots in there. Take a look, and offer a friendly
critique, if you dare.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/duskdawn

Well, there still seems to be some life in the SI and we had quite a
variety of ideas beyond those typically expected of dusk/dawn shots.

You wish.

It's the same old rubbish from the same old people - and I emphasis
*old* - which will elicit the same old comments of mutual admiration
that it always does. The SI is nothing if not predictable, even to
the extent of Bowser failing to notice the three shots that were
completely unrelated to the mandate.

Perhaps you should rename the SI "how not to shoot snapshots" or
"common errors that should be avoided".

Hey! Thanks for looking! Nice to see that our "snapshots" occupy a very
special place in the empty head of yours.