Where is the limit?

Old August 29th 11, 09:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Default Where is the limit?

Now that Sony has launched 24MP APS-C cameras, I wonder where the limit
regarding pixel count in APS-C DSLRs is. Will we see a 36MP APS-C DSLR
in 1-2 years?
--

Alfred Molon
Old September 1st 11, 04:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gary Eickmeier

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
Now that Sony has launched 24MP APS-C cameras, I wonder where the limit
regarding pixel count in APS-C DSLRs is. Will we see a 36MP APS-C DSLR
in 1-2 years?

I think the limit will happen when they stop seeing any increase in
resolution from the newer cameras. If you can get the same res from a 16mp
as from a 24mp, then the lens is the limiting factor, and there is no reason
to increase file sizes any further.

Gary Eickmeier

Old September 1st 11, 07:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Gary
Eickmeier says...
I think the limit will happen when they stop seeing any increase in
resolution from the newer cameras.

Yes of course, but where is it going to happen? At 50MP for an APS-C
sensor?
--

Alfred Molon
Old September 2nd 11, 02:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-09-02 00:46:48 -0700, Alfred Molon said:

In article 4deb6b29-1c43-4a0f-8b9e-c224caa0d252
@m18g2000vbe.googlegroups.com, David Dyer-Bennet says...
But we're talking differences in a 24x36 inch print that most
people won't be able to see, and *nobody* will be able to
see without getting their eyes a foot from the print.

But the fact is that nowadays the cameras already exceed the
capabilities of the human eye. To appreciate the detail you must get
close to a large print.

Alfred, you might want to check the time on your computer. Your last
few posts have been 6 hours out of synch.

Savageduck

Old September 2nd 11, 05:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gary Eickmeier

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
In article 4deb6b29-1c43-4a0f-8b9e-c224caa0d252
@m18g2000vbe.googlegroups.com, David Dyer-Bennet says...
But we're talking differences in a 24x36 inch print that most
people won't be able to see, and *nobody* will be able to
see without getting their eyes a foot from the print.

But the fact is that nowadays the cameras already exceed the
capabilities of the human eye. To appreciate the detail you must get
close to a large print.
--

Alfred Molon

I read once upon a time that we cannot see resolution any greater than 200
ppi in a print. So, if the 24mp imager is 4000 x 6000 pixels, then we have a
20 x 30 inch print. Any more megapixels would only go to make an even larger
print than that, which I wouldn't think is needed. I can make gorgeous 13 x
19 prints with my 10mp camera.

Gary Eickmeier

Old September 2nd 11, 06:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
On Sep 1, 1:54*pm, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , Gary
Eickmeier says...

I think the limit will happen when they stop seeing any increase in
resolution from the newer cameras.

Yes of course, but where is it going to happen? At 50MP for an APS-C
sensor?

Probably even higher than that.

But we're talking differences in a 24x36 inch print that most
people won't be able to see, and *nobody* will be able to
see without getting their eyes a foot from the print.

Everybody will be able to see the difference if you crop out a face
from the crowd and print it.

--
Chris Malcolm

Old September 2nd 11, 05:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-09-02 14:05:07 -0700, Alfred Molon said:

In article 6cc4bc3d-7cef-402f-995c-1cdcae2f3558
@t29g2000vby.googlegroups.com, David Dyer-Bennet says...
Sure, but why would I do that? That's not art
photography, that's surveillance -- in which case
people don't care if it's a first-rate image, they
just want to be able to recognize the face.

If low resolutions are enough, why do people even bother to shoot in
large format or with 80MP digital camera backs? Obviously in some cases
there is a need for higher resolutions.

Alfred, your computer clock is still out of whack by 6 hours.

Savageduck

Old September 2nd 11, 07:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Gary
Eickmeier says...

I read once upon a time that we cannot see resolution any greater than 200
ppi in a print. So, if the 24mp imager is 4000 x 6000 pixels, then we have a
20 x 30 inch print. Any more megapixels would only go to make an even larger
print than that, which I wouldn't think is needed. I can make gorgeous 13 x
19 prints with my 10mp camera.

Make it 300ppi because Bayer pixels are not full pixels.

BTW, every now and then I get requests for wall size prints.
--

Alfred Molon