[SI] Dusk or Dawn is available mid day!

Old September 14th 11, 10:39 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

Default [SI] Dusk or Dawn is available mid day!

On 2011-09-13 23:40:58 +0100, Bowser said:

The Dusk or Dawn gallery is posted, and it's a very healthy gallery,
too. Some nice shots in there. Take a look, and offer a friendly
critique, if you dare.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/duskdawn

Plenty of variety and enjoyable images in this SI.

Bowser
1. Nice shot. I would prefer it if the water wasn't quite so dark at the
bottom-centre.

2. Awesome colours, light and textures, and a most interesting picture.
On the full-sized image, I find the bokeh on the light twigs slightly
distracting.

3. I have a sense of unease looking at this one. The guy in the boat is
pointing to it: I think it needs to show either bit more on the left or
bit less.

Pretty funny, nobody seems to like the "bridge" shot. Oh, well. And the
bokeh on the mushroom shot is, well, the product of a zoom. But I liked
the color of the mushrooms. This one makes really nice wallpaper.
Luckily I got this shot before my dog ate them.
Old September 14th 11, 11:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 9/14/2011 4:38 PM, DanP wrote:
On Wednesday, 14 September 2011 20:31:56 UTC+1, PeterN wrote:

DanP:
#1; Different with an interesting effect. The zoom exposure does add to
the overall image, I just wonder why f/14.
#2; Nice color in the sky for the sunset, but not unexpected for this SI.

focus distance .03 M?

Say it was 200m or infinity, would that make a difference? Probably I had focus set to manual to stop it annoying me.

I was just curious. That particular anomaly has appeared in my EXIF
files too.
I frequently use manual focus.

--
Peter
Old September 14th 11, 11:27 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

On 2011-09-13 23:40:58 +0100, Bowser said:

[...]

that would make a great excuse for a late submission. "the dog ate the
subject."
Yup!
Sure!

--
Peter
Old September 14th 11, 11:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

On 2011-09-13 15:40:58 -0700, said:

The Dusk or Dawn gallery is posted, and it's a very healthy gallery,
too. Some nice shots in there. Take a look, and offer a friendly
critique, if you dare.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/duskdawn

Well, there still seems to be some life in the SI and we had quite a
variety of ideas beyond those typically expected of dusk/dawn shots.

You wish.

It's the same old rubbish from the same old people - and I emphasis
*old* - which will elicit the same old comments of mutual admiration
that it always does. The SI is nothing if not predictable, even to
the extent of Bowser failing to notice the three shots that were
completely unrelated to the mandate.

Perhaps you should rename the SI "how not to shoot snapshots" or
"common errors that should be avoided".

Hey! Thanks for looking! Nice to see that our "snapshots" occupy a very
special place in the empty head of yours.

Nature abhors a vacuum.

--
Peter
Old September 14th 11, 11:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 9/14/2011 6:40 PM, DanP wrote:
Now you made me curious, there is no EXIF data for focus in my original file.
The submitted one was compressed with MS Paint. Laugh if you want but it does the job quick.

DanP

I don't laugh at anybody's choice of a tool. I am a firm believer of
using whatever works best for you.
Look at the EXIF data on your submission.

--
Peter
Old September 15th 11, 12:04 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On 14 Sep 2011 20:03:58 GMT, Stuffed Crust wrote:
: In rec.photo.equipment.35mm Bowser wrote:
: The Dusk or Dawn gallery is posted, and it's a very healthy gallery,
: too. Some nice shots in there. Take a look, and offer a friendly
: critique, if you dare.
:
: /delurk
:
: I have a thing for dawn/dusk shots, but during this mandate I didn't
: take anything new that I cared to submit. But I have a huge pile of
: suitable archived shots to draw upon.
:
: Ugh, need to participate more..

Yeah, where the hell you been? You've submitted some really good stuff over
the years.

Bob
Old September 15th 11, 12:11 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 17:39:49 -0400, Bowser wrote:
:
: Pretty funny, nobody seems to like the "bridge" shot. Oh, well. And
: the bokeh on the mushroom shot is, well, the product of a zoom. But I
: liked the color of the mushrooms. This one makes really nice wallpaper.
: Luckily I got this shot before my dog ate them.

Can a dog eat a white amanita and live to bark about it? IIRC, a human's
tolerance for same is usually less than one bite.

Bob
Old September 15th 11, 12:12 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

On 9/14/2011 4:03 PM, Stuffed Crust wrote:
In rec.photo.equipment.35mm wrote:
The Dusk or Dawn gallery is posted, and it's a very healthy gallery,
too. Some nice shots in there. Take a look, and offer a friendly
critique, if you dare.

/delurk

I have a thing for dawn/dusk shots, but during this mandate I didn't
take anything new that I cared to submit. But I have a huge pile of
suitable archived shots to draw upon.

Ugh, need to participate more..

- Solomon

And I need to get down to Charlie and Jakes more often.

I haven't been in a long time. Is it still there?
Old September 15th 11, 12:39 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Peter Chant[_5_]

Default Dusk or Dawn is available mid day!

PeterN wrote:

Hope those people were disconnected. It looks like the steam engines
were generating electricity. duck

The engines were generating, some for their own lights only, others were
powering rides.

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk
Old September 15th 11, 12:46 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Peter Chant[_5_]

Stuffed Crust wrote:

I have a thing for dawn/dusk shots, but during this mandate I didn't
take anything new that I cared to submit. But I have a huge pile of
suitable archived shots to draw upon.

I have to fess up, I shot the photos within the period of the mandate but
only noticed the mandate after taking the photos...

Ugh, need to participate more..

- Solomon

Me too.

--