[SI] Dusk or Dawn is available mid day!

Old September 14th 11, 02:44 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

Default Dusk or Dawn is available mid day!

On 9/13/2011 11:50 PM, otter wrote:
On Sep 13, 5:40 pm, wrote:
The Dusk or Dawn gallery is posted, and it's a very healthy gallery,
too. Some nice shots in there. Take a look, and offer a friendly
critique, if you dare.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/duskdawn

Wow! Some very nice shots this time.

I especially liked, in no particular order:

Peter N The beak - very nice, but not sure of the tie to dusk or dawn
Tim Conway Old - it just grabbed me when I looked at it
Dan P #1 - The motion draws me in
Alan B#2 - Great red color
Peter Chant - both of them nice - surreal
Bowser #1 - like a painting
Duck - all 3 very nice
Peter N - sausage& peppers - how many pictures did you submit? Or
are there 2 Peter Ns? Very striking picture.

the three off topic shots submitted by Peter N are removed. Ooops....

Irwell - I liked all three, but not exactly sure why.
and I liked many of the rest, but would feel foolish just to list
everyone.

Seriously, I think this is the best collection I've seen from this
group. Good job!

Old September 14th 11, 03:26 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

Default [SI] Dusk or Dawn is available mid day!

On 9/14/2011 9:39 AM, Bowser wrote:
On 9/13/2011 11:40 PM, PeterN wrote:
On 9/13/2011 6:40 PM, Bowser wrote:
The Dusk or Dawn gallery is posted, and it's a very healthy gallery,
too. Some nice shots in there. Take a look, and offer a friendly
critique, if you dare.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/duskdawn

Give the Shoot-In a try! Read all about it he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage

FYI: thanks to a request in one of the newsgroups, I've done a little
digging into the feasibility of increasing the max image size, and I
think we're OK to increase it. I'll post the new size limit in a
separate posting. Pbase has adjusted their limits (based on dollar
value) so we'll follow suit.

Oops. I think I accidentally sent you three images that were not
intended to be sent to the SI.

They are the images labeled c26. I see you got the correct ones too.
It's OK if you leave them up, but they really are OT.

Dumped. Shoulda seen that.

Sorry about the bad address.

--
Peter
Old September 14th 11, 05:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
irwell

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 20:50:40 -0700 (PDT), otter wrote:

On Sep 13, 5:40*pm, Bowser wrote:
[...]

I too liked the Peter Chant, love the way the old steam engines
are belting away whilst the chatting folks look disconnected from
all the activity.

Also the b/w picture from Paul Furman with the saxophonist
posed in one corner.
Old September 14th 11, 06:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Peter Chant[_5_]

Irwell wrote:

I too liked the Peter Chant, love the way the old steam engines
are belting away whilst the chatting folks look disconnected from
all the activity.

Cheers all, much appreciated.

Also the b/w picture from Paul Furman with the saxophonist
posed in one corner.

Dawn or Busk?

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk
Old September 14th 11, 06:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

On 9/14/2011 10:46 AM, otter wrote:
On Sep 14, 9:26 am, wrote:
[...]

I'm not. I liked the pictures, even though they were OT. I
especially liked "The Beak".

I'd bet Peter will sell you a copy.

;-)
Old September 14th 11, 06:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-09-13 15:40:58 -0700, Bowser said:

The Dusk or Dawn gallery is posted, and it's a very healthy gallery,
too. Some nice shots in there. Take a look, and offer a friendly
critique, if you dare.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/duskdawn

Well, there still seems to be some life in the SI and we had quite a
variety of ideas beyond those typically expected of dusk/dawn shots.

Bowser:
#1; The pano, I like this and the quiet sense of place and time it evokes.
#2; Another nice shot showing us an early morning, fresh & deadly amanita.
#3; Fair enough shot, but this one does not work for me. It seems murky
in some way, with composition and crop which is not quit right.

Irwell:
DUSK #1; Nice framing of the shot with the long shadows thrown by the
"Toby" mug and other stuff. I would have preferred to not have the
right of egg cropped.
DUSK #2 & #3; In both of these shots the long shadows tell the story.
Good idea in setting the time of day.

EricS:
Dawn; A good capture of morning stillness at first light.
Dusk; Nice drama, but I think the timing was slightly off. Perhaps if
you had shot a few minutes earlier, or maybe a few minutes later. I
guess you had to be there.
Arctic Circle; The only sense of place comes from your title. I know
you were probably on a ship, but there is no real reference, and it
seems to be more of a snapshot than a deliberately composed shot.

PeterA:
Alpha; I know it was dawn, but this one doesn't really do it. There is
something about the color, contrast, and exposure which doesn't seem
right.
Industry; This is the type of shot you have perfected. In this case
you have everything right the sense of time and fitting your theme just
works.
Omega; Three lightships in a row. I like it, and like "Industry" you
have everything right. BTW, how common is the use of lightships today?

Bob Coe:
#1; The shadows and light across the empty parking lot make the shot,
but what darn good are a closed Nathan's and ice cream parlor?
#2; Shadows & light again, maybe one problematic blown highlight on the
crest of the flower.
#3; This is the best of your three, the ribbon of filtered light
running across the yellow flower tops makes this one for me.

Martha Coe:
#1; Nice depot, I just wish they hadn't turned on the lights, I feel
that there is more potential in this image which could be brought out
with some tweaks to the contrast and brightness.
#2; The time of day might be right, but this one does not work for me.
It might be the subject, it might be the composition, it might be my
taste.
#3; ...and here is your great shot. The subdued tone and fading light
in the greenhouse with the reflection on the wet floor makes this work.

Tim Conway:
Duskdawn-old; Nice silhouette and textures sky. Very evocative of the
evening glow.

Paul Furman:
5998; A horn player in the dusk. Forget the fuzziness it is great, I like it.

DanP:
#1; Different with an interesting effect. The zoom exposure does add to
the overall image, I just wonder why f/14.
#2; Nice color in the sky for the sunset, but not unexpected for this SI.

Otter:
Eye in Sky; Nice. The evening light is just right to demonstrate the
time and yet have the foreground structures identifiable, without
having the stereotypical "golden" or "red" sunset.

Savageduck (yours truly):
#1; This is about 2 miles from my place.
#2; The San Ardo oil field is a Chevron operation along the Salinas
river, about 25 miles North of my place.
#3; Down at the coast at San Simeon State Beach, shot from the pier,
with the light filtered through very thick marine layer fog.

AlanB:
old; Nice filtered light through the clouds, with the minutes before
dark capturing the vastness of that expanse across the valley.
#2; Nice, interesting color and reflections on the water. I know this
is Ektachrome, but did you also use any other filters?

Peter Chant:
#1 & #2; Both of these capture the feel of the fair in the early
evening. Very nice.

Peter Newman: (these are the ones for this SI, right?)
Lighthouse; See, it's not too tough to get it right. Faded light on the
building and golden glow on the horizon.
Sausage & Peppers; "highly post processed" No kidding! It does deserve
the imaginative shot of this SI comment.
Sunset lovers; I get the move to the abstract, but while interesting in
terms of a processing exercise, I just don't see it working outside of
the 1967-69 time period.

As always, thanks to all for playing.

Savageduck

Old September 14th 11, 07:01 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete A

On 2011-09-13 23:40:58 +0100, Bowser said:

The Dusk or Dawn gallery is posted, and it's a very healthy gallery,
too. Some nice shots in there. Take a look, and offer a friendly
critique, if you dare.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/duskdawn

Plenty of variety and enjoyable images in this SI.

Bowser
1. Nice shot. I would prefer it if the water wasn't quite so dark at
the bottom-centre.

2. Awesome colours, light and textures, and a most interesting picture.
On the full-sized image, I find the bokeh on the light twigs slightly
distracting.

3. I have a sense of unease looking at this one. The guy in the boat is
pointing to it: I think it needs to show either bit more on the left
or bit less.

Irwell
1. This one didn't work form me.
2. Very easy to look at and the light is great.
3. Un unusual and attention grabbing shot.
Can't think of any suggestions for improvements.

Eric S
Dawn: I like this very much. The two yellow hulls in the centre make
strong points of interest. Only suggestion is to reduce the black level
of the foreground foliage because it looks misty.

Dusk: Dramatic. Only suggestion is to increase the black level... Only
kidding

....Arctic Circle: Another interesting shot. The horizon looks as if
it's running down to the right much more than it actually is. This kind
of optical illusion frequently causes a problem in my shots. The only
way I've found to offset it is by rotating the image to compensate.

Pete A
I wasn't going to submit anything, but I had this idea for a theme -
hope it isn't too morbid.

Bob Coe
Sorry, Bob, it's nothing personal...
1. This one didn't work for me. I think it's mainly the angle and
secondarily the clutter in the background.

2. Nor this one. The flower is not sharply focused and the bright leaf
at the bottom is distracting.

3. Nor this one. The colours and contrast are too muddy for my liking.

Martha Coe
1. Plenty of interest and colour in this shot and a good balance of
different light sources. Perhaps there's just a little too much rail
track in the foreground.

2. Great use of angles and shapes. Choosing the correct exposure and
contrast for a shot like this is not easy, but you've nailed it. For
me, there is a little too much sky at the top.

3. I like the concept. Suggestions for improvement: redistribute the
levels because the shadow areas are a bit muddy and the mid-tones are a
tad dark. Reduce the amount of cyan in the roof glass because it draws
my eye away from the pink flowers.

Tim Conway
Very dramatic and a great composition. Only suggestion: remove the
halos around the dark objects.

Paul Furman
Superb. You didn't need the EXIF info - that lens stamps its hallmark
on its images. Crop suggestions: remove left edge to eliminate the
distracting bright line and similarly for the top (above the two people
mid-left). Remove the dark object to the right of bottom-centre.

Dan P
1. Refreshingly different.
2. Striking, especially with the soft red glow in the clouds towards
the top. I would remove the white dot bottom-right and probably the
light mark near bottom-centre.

Otter
Eye In Sky: One of my favourites. Minor point: I find the sky chroma
blobs a little distracting. They can be very difficult to reduce/smooth
in shots like this.

Savageduck
1. Another favourite. Suggestion: slightly darken the bright trees and
gravel near bottom-left.
2. Great shot and gives a sense of being there.
3. Another great image. Can't think of any suggestions for 2 & 3.

Alan B
1. A realistic portrayal of the light and subdued colours at dusk. Very nice.
2. Fantastic light and colour.
I can't think of any suggestions.

Peter Chant
1. This one doesn't work for me.
2. This one does! I particularly like your choices of colour balance
and exposure.

Peter N
Lighthouse: Good shot with pleasing light and colours. Nitpick: lens
flare and ghosting.

Sausage and Peppers: Great fun.

Sunset Lovers: I like it. Suggestion: the foreground rock(?) to the
right of the bench has a distractingly sharp outline against the water,
perhaps a bit of softening would help.

Old September 14th 11, 07:11 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

On Sep 14, 9:26 am, wrote:
[...]

Thanks. They did reasonably in my CC competition. The soldiers won
digital image of the month. The Beak scored an 8 out of a possible 9 and
the garden did not do well at all.
However I sent them in error and they did not belong. I am selecting for
my website, winch will go live about mid November and The Beak probably
will be there.

--
Peter
Old September 14th 11, 07:21 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-09-13 15:40:58 -0700, Bowser said:

The Dusk or Dawn gallery is posted, and it's a very healthy gallery,
too. Some nice shots in there. Take a look, and offer a friendly
critique, if you dare.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/duskdawn

Well, there still seems to be some life in the SI and we had quite a
variety of ideas beyond those typically expected of dusk/dawn shots.

You wish.

It's the same old rubbish from the same old people - and I emphasis
*old* - which will elicit the same old comments of mutual admiration
that it always does. The SI is nothing if not predictable, even to
the extent of Bowser failing to notice the three shots that were
completely unrelated to the mandate.

Perhaps you should rename the SI "how not to shoot snapshots" or
"common errors that should be avoided".

Damn it Bruce!
Are you still trying to find who it was who ****ed in your crib when
you were a baby?

You are every bit as bad with regard to the SI as Rich is to Apple.
What is it you would like the SI to be?

Savageduck

Old September 14th 11, 07:44 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-09-13 15:40:58 -0700, Bowser said:

The Dusk or Dawn gallery is posted, and it's a very healthy gallery,
too. Some nice shots in there. Take a look, and offer a friendly
critique, if you dare.

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/duskdawn

Well, there still seems to be some life in the SI and we had quite a
variety of ideas beyond those typically expected of dusk/dawn shots.

You wish.

It's the same old rubbish from the same old people - and I emphasis
*old* - which will elicit the same old comments of mutual admiration
that it always does.

You obviously haven't read any of the comments, especially some of the
less than than accepting comments I made, and you edited from your
response.
It seems that PeteA had a few of the images which didn't work for him.
I am sure there will be other comments along later.

So don't make a complete ass of yourself. Either submit some shots to a
future SI and demonstrate these skills you claim to have as a
photographer, or give us your critique on each shot, so we can
understand where it is, to your eye we have gone wrong. Your blanket
disapproval of all the images submitted is a demonstration of your
obvious prejudice against the SI since, over the many SI mandates there
have been some truly superb photographs submitted among those which do
not work.

Remember this is not in any sense a competition, or an exercise in
photographic excellence, so we get the entire spectrum from the truly
great to the WTF mediocre, and that is just fine.

The SI is nothing if not predictable, even to
the extent of Bowser failing to notice the three shots that were
completely unrelated to the mandate.

So? Goofs happen, and that was so obvious it was called on and fixed.

Savageduck