Laptop screens?

Old May 25th 05, 07:39 AM
Stacey

Default Laptop screens?

Looking at a new laptop to replace my OLD pentium 133 thinkpad. Mainly just
looking for something to do web surfing but also would like something to
dump files from my camera onto when on the road and burn backup disks. Be
nice to have a good enough screen to check out the quality to see if I need
to reshoot. Which laptop models seem to have decent LCD screens. I've
really enjoyed my thinkpad and like the way they control the cursor (I
don't like touchpads much) but screen quality is more important that this
to me right now. TIA.
--

Stacey
Old May 25th 05, 08:13 AM
Ron Hunter

Stacey wrote:
Looking at a new laptop to replace my OLD pentium 133 thinkpad. Mainly just
looking for something to do web surfing but also would like something to
dump files from my camera onto when on the road and burn backup disks. Be
nice to have a good enough screen to check out the quality to see if I need
to reshoot. Which laptop models seem to have decent LCD screens. I've
really enjoyed my thinkpad and like the way they control the cursor (I
don't like touchpads much) but screen quality is more important that this
to me right now. TIA.

Some LCD screens are better with images, some with text. My HP Laptop
has a good LCD that looks good with either. Still, the viewing angle is
narrow, which some consider a definite advantage since you can work
without having the person next to you able to read the screen easily.

--
Ron Hunter
Old May 25th 05, 10:05 AM
Loopy

"Ron Hunter" wrote in message
Stacey wrote:
[...]

depending on budget this is a very open ended Question.. but (remember I'm
in the UK, so models may vary) I recently got a Dell with separate graphics,
and decent screen (higher than usual resolution) purely for a camera dump
and view mechanism, and its brilliant, considering whole laptop cost les
than my TFT monitor on my maim computer (and the resolutions better) I
really cant complain!!

I notice here (in UK) that the screen I got is now only available on the top
of the range Laptop from dell now (looking at their page)

will recommend that you do get a separate graphics card (so many now use a
integrated graphics and that "shares" system memory, id also get a minimum
of 1gb of ram (to handle the imaging software)

but of course that's just what I consider good..

Mark

Old May 25th 05, 12:28 PM
Tee

"Stacey" wrote in message
Looking at a new laptop to replace my OLD pentium 133 thinkpad. Mainly
just
looking for something to do web surfing but also would like something to
dump files from my camera onto when on the road and burn backup disks. Be
nice to have a good enough screen to check out the quality to see if I
need
to reshoot. Which laptop models seem to have decent LCD screens. I've
really enjoyed my thinkpad and like the way they control the cursor (I
don't like touchpads much) but screen quality is more important that this
to me right now. TIA.

You should go to an office store (Staples, Office Depot) or a place like
Best Buy or Circuit City where you can view computers. The new laptops with
BrightView technology have a huge WOW factor.

--
Tara

Old May 25th 05, 01:06 PM
Gaderian

Stacey wrote:
Looking at a new laptop to replace my OLD pentium 133 thinkpad.
Mainly just looking for something to do web surfing but also would
like something to dump files from my camera onto when on the road and
burn backup disks. Be nice to have a good enough screen to check out
the quality to see if I need to reshoot. Which laptop models seem to
have decent LCD screens. I've really enjoyed my thinkpad and like the
way they control the cursor (I don't like touchpads much) but screen
quality is more important that this to me right now. TIA.

The newer ThinkPads have an excellent LCD screen that I've used for exactly
what you're doing with you old one. Depends how much money you want to
spend.

Old May 26th 05, 01:00 AM
Stacey

Gaderian wrote:

The newer ThinkPads have an excellent LCD screen that I've used for
exactly
what you're doing with you old one. Depends how much money you want to
spend.

I was looking at the new thinkpads and see they have some higher rez option
15 inch screens that should work great for this. Not cheap but what product
that is good is!
--

Stacey