Alternatives to the Panasonic DMCFZ30S

Old January 28th 06, 07:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Alternatives to the Panasonic DMCFZ30S

I would have liked to buy the DMCFZ30S, but the noise factor at higher
ISO's makes me think I'll be disappointed when shooting in available light
or at fast shutter speeds.. The price was right also.

Now, I am (anxiously) considering the Nikon D70s, and, yes, even the D200,
as I have many Nikon AI lenses -NOT AF lenses.

So, my question for this august body is:

Is it accurate to say that there is no comparable single (non
interchangeable) lens digital camera on the market with similar specs (8
megapixel count and 12x IS zoom) with much better noise control at the
higher ISO's than the DMCFZ30S? If this is so, I will have to consider a
true DSLR as I mentioned above.

Looking for the last word on this, if possible, I thank you in advance.

Regards,

Sandy

Old January 28th 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Yes, The 10 megapixel D200 seems impressive, and the VR lenses are very
highly touted.

The D2X cost for the added features for me is WAY outta my price league.
The special body it has
has an expensive feature for holding it 90 degrees and having easy access
buttons- not necessary for my use.

I cannot justify depleting my largesse for the VR lenses or the D2X. If
there is no satisfactory camera of the DMCFZ30S's ilk, I will go Nikon,
probably the D200 kit (with the 18 to 70mm ED zoom lens). The best or only
price I have seen is $1999.99. I fear I may regret buying the D70s in a
short while.

Thanks,

Sandy

Old January 28th 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Sandy Bloom, Ph.D. wrote:
I would have liked to buy the DMCFZ30S, but the noise factor at higher
ISO's makes me think I'll be disappointed when shooting in available light
or at fast shutter speeds.. The price was right also.

Now, I am (anxiously) considering the Nikon D70s, and, yes, even the D200,
as I have many Nikon AI lenses -NOT AF lenses.

So, my question for this august body is:

Is it accurate to say that there is no comparable single (non
interchangeable) lens digital camera on the market with similar specs (8
megapixel count and 12x IS zoom) with much better noise control at the
higher ISO's than the DMCFZ30S? If this is so, I will have to consider a
true DSLR as I mentioned above.

This is an accurate statement.

And remember, with the AI lenses, you should opt for the D200, so that
metering will work. Metering won't work on the D70s.

Ironically, with the AI lenses, you're better off buying a Canon digital
SLR, and a Nikkor AI to Canon EOS adapter ring, than buying a D70s or
D50, but with the D200, you're better off than with this kluge.

You also have the option of sending the AI lenses out to be upgraded
($115 each), to "http://home.carolina.rr.com/headshots/Nikonhome.htm"
but it really isn't worth doing so now that the D200 is available.

IMVAIO, the cameras like the FZ-30 are a very bad idea due to the tiny
sensor. It all appears to be a great thing, until you look at the noise.

Old January 28th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"SMS" wrote in message

Just want to understand what you are saying.

Will the older AI (NOT AF) Nikon lenses metering work with the D200 and NOT
the D70s? I know the AI lenses on the D50 and D70s require independent
light metering (light meter etc.). The camera guy I spoke to implied that
the D200 would be the same.

Also, did you mean to say that Nikon AI lenses can be upgraded to Autofocus
lenses (AF) for $115.00 a shot? I've got some decent AI lenses, fixed focal
and zoom, which might make it worth it to me.

This is very exciting, if I follow you correctly.

Sandy

Old January 29th 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Sandy Bloom, Ph.D. wrote:

I would have liked to buy the DMCFZ30S, but the noise factor at higher
ISO's makes me think I'll be disappointed when shooting in available light
or at fast shutter speeds.. The price was right also.

Now, I am (anxiously) considering the Nikon D70s, and, yes, even the D200,
as I have many Nikon AI lenses -NOT AF lenses.

So, my question for this august body is:

Is it accurate to say that there is no comparable single (non
interchangeable) lens digital camera on the market with similar specs (8
megapixel count and 12x IS zoom) with much better noise control at the
higher ISO's than the DMCFZ30S? If this is so, I will have to consider a
true DSLR as I mentioned above.

Looking for the last word on this, if possible, I thank you in advance.

Regards,

Sandy

If you can settle for 5X Zoom but 10 MP, with a big sensor and low
noise, take a look at the new Sony DSC R1.
See: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_.../r1.html#specs

Bob Williams

Old January 29th 06, 09:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Sandy Bloom, Ph.D. wrote:
I would have liked to buy the DMCFZ30S, but the noise factor at higher
ISO's makes me think I'll be disappointed when shooting in available light
or at fast shutter speeds.. The price was right also.

Now, I am (anxiously) considering the Nikon D70s, and, yes, even the D200,
as I have many Nikon AI lenses -NOT AF lenses.

So, my question for this august body is:

Is it accurate to say that there is no comparable single (non
interchangeable) lens digital camera on the market with similar specs (8
megapixel count and 12x IS zoom) with much better noise control at the
higher ISO's than the DMCFZ30S? If this is so, I will have to consider a
true DSLR as I mentioned above.

Looking for the last word on this, if possible, I thank you in advance.

Regards,

Sandy

Probably. The only current approaches to reduced noise at high ISO is
either noise reduction software (inadequate in my experience), or a
large sensor, which puts you into the DSLR realm. Of course you could
chill the camera to -40 and get a lot lower noise factor, but I don't
think you would find that practical.... Grin.
Old January 29th 06, 10:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Sandy Bloom, Ph.D. wrote:
"SMS" wrote in message
Just want to understand what you are saying.

Will the older AI (NOT AF) Nikon lenses metering work with the D200 and NOT
the D70s?

Correct.

I know the AI lenses on the D50 and D70s require independent
light metering (light meter etc.). The camera guy I spoke to implied that
the D200 would be the same.

Look at "http://www.aiconversions.com/compatibilitytable.htm" for more
information.

Also, did you mean to say that Nikon AI lenses can be upgraded to Autofocus
lenses (AF) for $115.00 a shot?

No. They can be upgraded so the metering will work with the D50 and
D70s. Read "http://home.carolina.rr.com/headshots/Nikonhome.htm." But I
think that this only makes sense if it's one or two lenses. The D200 is
much better body, and the money saved in lens conversion for the D50 or
D70s is better spent on the D200 body. When the choice was a $5000 D2x
versus lens modification, then lens modification made more sense.

I've got some decent AI lenses, fixed focal
and zoom, which might make it worth it to me.

This is very exciting, if I follow you correctly.

Again, see "http://www.aiconversions.com/compatibilitytable.htm" since
he has added the D200 to his table. It's pretty clear what works and
what doesn't work on each body.

If you don't want to opt for the D200, you're better off with a Canon
EOS body, and a lens adapter, if you want to use your AI lenses and have
metering function. As one person wrote: "This is why I LOVE Canon EOS. I
can use any Nikon lens, from the most ancient F mount single coated
lens, all the way up to any af lens before Nikon moved to their Canon
like G mount. Not only can I mount it with no problem, but, get this, I
get metering!"
Old January 29th 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

SMS wrote:
Sandy Bloom, Ph.D. wrote:
"SMS" wrote in message
Just want to understand what you are saying.

Will the older AI (NOT AF) Nikon lenses metering work with the D200 and NOT
the D70s?

Correct.

You have got to be you kidding me!
Even the lowly el-cheapo Pentax *ist-DL can meter with any K mount
lens.
How come Nikon can't be bothered implimenting TTL metering for all
lenses?
You also want to pay a premium for this?
It boggles the mind!

I know the AI lenses on the D50 and D70s require independent
light metering (light meter etc.). The camera guy I spoke to implied that
the D200 would be the same.

Look at "http://www.aiconversions.com/compatibilitytable.htm" for more
information.

Also, did you mean to say that Nikon AI lenses can be upgraded to Autofocus
lenses (AF) for $115.00 a shot?

No. They can be upgraded so the metering will work with the D50 and
D70s. Read "http://home.carolina.rr.com/headshots/Nikonhome.htm." But I
think that this only makes sense if it's one or two lenses. The D200 is
much better body, and the money saved in lens conversion for the D50 or
D70s is better spent on the D200 body. When the choice was a $5000 D2x
versus lens modification, then lens modification made more sense.

The other alternative is to sell you Nikon gear for a nice profit to
some sucker and buy a camera that can TTL meter with virtualy any lens.
The Pentax ist-D, ist-DS, ist-DL, ist-DS2 and ist-DL2 can all TTL meter
reguardless of what sort of K mount lens is attached.
Even M42 lenses in a K mount adapter!

I've got some decent AI lenses, fixed focal
and zoom, which might make it worth it to me.

This is very exciting, if I follow you correctly.

Again, see "http://www.aiconversions.com/compatibilitytable.htm" since
he has added the D200 to his table. It's pretty clear what works and
what doesn't work on each body.

If you don't want to opt for the D200, you're better off with a Canon
EOS body, and a lens adapter, if you want to use your AI lenses and have
metering function. As one person wrote: "This is why I LOVE Canon EOS. I
can use any Nikon lens, from the most ancient F mount single coated
lens, all the way up to any af lens before Nikon moved to their Canon
like G mount. Not only can I mount it with no problem, but, get this, I
get metering!"

Is that a joke?
Even the entry level Canon DSLR (EOS 350D) can impliment TTL metering
when using Nikon lenses that the current Nikon offering can't!