Finally , Nikon named its image processor!

Old September 3rd 07, 12:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
[email protected]

Default Finally , Nikon named its image processor!

There were Sony's Bionz, Lumix's Venus III and Canon Digic III image
processor engines. However, we never heard an official name of Nikon's
image processor engine..... until now. Nikon has finally announced its
new EXPEED image processor engine.

I guess Nikon does not want to be left behind by the competitors in
trying to entice the consumers with all of the fancy "engine" names to
remember by. It may be an advertisement gimmick, but it seems to be
working for the others.

Old September 3rd 07, 12:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Beladi Nasralla

On Sep 3, 8:26 pm, wrote:

... new EXPEED image processor engine.

Sounds like EX (former) and PEE.

Old September 3rd 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
cjcampbell

On Sep 3, 4:46 am, Beladi Nasralla wrote:
On Sep 3, 8:26 pm, wrote:

... new EXPEED image processor engine.

Sounds like EX (former) and PEE.

Could be worse. I am still wondering about the marketing genius who
named the Wii.

Old September 3rd 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
George Mastellone

On Sep 3, 8:26 pm, wrote:

... new EXPEED image processor engine.

Sounds like EX (former) and PEE.

Could be worse. I am still wondering about the marketing genius who
named the Wii.

To be followed by the Wii Wii.....

My favorite bad photography trademark has to be Fuji's "Velvia" film. I
think they coined the word from "Velvet Media", but it sounds too much
like "Velveeta!"
Old September 3rd 07, 10:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
[email protected]

On Sep 3, 3:46 pm, Dave Cohen wrote:
wrote:
There were Sony's Bionz, Lumix's Venus III and Canon Digic III image
processor engines. However, we never heard an official name of Nikon's
image processor engine..... until now. Nikon has finally announced its
new EXPEED image processor engine.

I guess Nikon does not want to be left behind by the competitors in
trying to entice the consumers with all of the fancy "engine" names to
remember by. It may be an advertisement gimmick, but it seems to be
working for the others.

Well I thought I would be a smart ass and ask if people would not buy a
canon if it used a photosmart,imageplus,photoperfect etc) processor.
But before committing to print, I checked each name against Google and
all these names were used. I then tried others and finally gave up.
Friends, it's bloody hard to find a name not already used by someone for
something or other, play with Google yourselves.
Dave Cohen

In addition to the names already shown in the orginal thread, Pentax's
image processor engine is called PRIME (Pentax Real IMage Engine),
Olympus' engine is called 3-ASICs (Application Specific Integrated
Circuit), and Fuji has its own RP (Reap Photo) Pro Processor. I am
very sure that people will speak more about these "engines" in the
future when they are buying digital cameras. I guess Nikon won't be
left behind.

Old September 4th 07, 12:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
cjcampbell

wrote:
[...]

Oh great. Then Pentax can call all their 'digital' lenses PRIME
lenses...

Old September 4th 07, 12:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
cjcampbell

On Sep 3, 1:46 pm, Dave Cohen wrote:
wrote:
[...]

It is a sad fact of marketing that coming up with an original new name
is almost impossible. Virtually every pronounceable combination of
letters has been trademarked.

Old September 4th 07, 08:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.misc
Sander

Brendan Gillatt wrote:
On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 14:10:50 -0700, wrote:

On Sep 3, 3:46 pm, Dave Cohen wrote:

Olympus' engine is called 3-ASICs (Application Specific Integrated
Circuit)

I think you may have slightly the wrong end of the stick there - an
ASIC, in the elctronics industry, is just another name for a custom
built chip, usually with the client's logo stamped on the top. The
'3-ASICs' name would imply that the particular camera has 3 such chips
inside it.
See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asic

Just like CMOS is not an image sensor but a technology used to make
image sensors and millions of other types of chips. Your computer is
full of them and most CMOS chips are not image sensors but something
completely different.

Still people will say "a CMOS" when they mean an image sensor made in a
CMOS technology so for marketing purposes apparently calling an ASIC
ASIC seems to work for Oly even when there are millions of ASICs that
have nothing to do with image processing. ;-)

Sander