Nikon D70 issues/questions Vs. Canon

Old October 14th 05, 06:39 AM
Richard H.

Default Nikon D70 issues/questions Vs. Canon

DD (Rox) wrote:
Heh, heh. You know who the best retail customers are (or were)?
DENTISTS. When I had my camera stores, the dentists who came in were
incredible hardware junkies. One guy wanted to own - and nearly did -
the entire Nikon catalog. I mean, stupid stuff like Nikon-brand,
darkroom-only bulk film loaders. I know EXACTLY the people you're
talking about!

Funny you should say that, I know two dentists who are hectically
involved in photographic equipment! Actually one's an orthodontist, but
I suppose it's the same sort of thing...

This is an odd trend; I wonder about the cause and effect with dentists
and photography. :-) Locally, there's known to be a large Internet porn
company that's owned by (you guessed it) - two dentists. No knowing if
they shoot their own pics, but I'd bet so.
Old October 14th 05, 02:30 PM
Scott Schuckert

In article JvH3f.5830$MN6.2949@fed1read04, Richard H.
wrote:

This is an odd trend; I wonder about the cause and effect with dentists
and photography. :-) Locally, there's known to be a large Internet porn
company that's owned by (you guessed it) - two dentists. No knowing if
they shoot their own pics, but I'd bet so.

I think the same aspect of the personality (fascination with mechanical
things?) that leads them to dentistry tends to make them hardware
junkies. My GP doesn't have much more than a scale and a stethoscope in
his office; my dentist has a computerized 3D X-ray machine and an NC
milling machine to make replacement teeth.

Another dentist I know collects 1958 Cadillacs; has over a dozen of
'em. So it's probably no suprise they're camera collectors; the odd
thing was that they all seemed to be into Nikon instead of Leica.
Old October 14th 05, 02:45 PM
Paul Bielec

wrote:

This is an odd trend; I wonder about the cause and effect with dentists
and photography. :-) Locally, there's known to be a large Internet porn
company that's owned by (you guessed it) - two dentists. No knowing if
they shoot their own pics, but I'd bet so.

I think the same aspect of the personality (fascination with mechanical
things?) that leads them to dentistry tends to make them hardware
junkies. My GP doesn't have much more than a scale and a stethoscope in
his office; my dentist has a computerized 3D X-ray machine and an NC
milling machine to make replacement teeth.

Another dentist I know collects 1958 Cadillacs; has over a dozen of
'em. So it's probably no suprise they're camera collectors; the odd
thing was that they all seemed to be into Nikon instead of Leica.

Maybe they're into Nikon because they're actually using it ;-)
Old October 15th 05, 12:32 AM
William Graham

"Scott Schuckert" wrote in message
Another dentist I know collects 1958 Cadillacs; has over a dozen of
'em. So it's probably no suprise they're camera collectors; the odd
thing was that they all seemed to be into Nikon instead of Leica.

Well, Nikon has marketed a lens and flash that are dedicated to dental
photography......I don't know whether Leica has done this or not.......

Old October 15th 05, 03:28 AM
Rich

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 22:39:04 -0700, "Richard H." wrote:

DD (Rox) wrote:
Heh, heh. You know who the best retail customers are (or were)?
DENTISTS. When I had my camera stores, the dentists who came in were
incredible hardware junkies. One guy wanted to own - and nearly did -
the entire Nikon catalog. I mean, stupid stuff like Nikon-brand,
darkroom-only bulk film loaders. I know EXACTLY the people you're
talking about!

Funny you should say that, I know two dentists who are hectically
involved in photographic equipment! Actually one's an orthodontist, but
I suppose it's the same sort of thing...

This is an odd trend; I wonder about the cause and effect with dentists
and photography. :-) Locally, there's known to be a large Internet porn
company that's owned by (you guessed it) - two dentists. No knowing if
they shoot their own pics, but I'd bet so.

It's not because they're dentists.
-Rich
Old October 16th 05, 06:00 PM
ian lincoln

wrote:

This is an odd trend; I wonder about the cause and effect with dentists
and photography. :-) Locally, there's known to be a large Internet porn
company that's owned by (you guessed it) - two dentists. No knowing if
they shoot their own pics, but I'd bet so.

I think the same aspect of the personality (fascination with mechanical
things?) that leads them to dentistry tends to make them hardware
junkies. My GP doesn't have much more than a scale and a stethoscope in
his office; my dentist has a computerized 3D X-ray machine and an NC
milling machine to make replacement teeth.

Another dentist I know collects 1958 Cadillacs; has over a dozen of
'em. So it's probably no suprise they're camera collectors; the odd
thing was that they all seemed to be into Nikon instead of Leica.

I have a sneaking suspicion americans pay a lot in dental fees.

Old October 16th 05, 06:01 PM
ian lincoln

DD (Rox) wrote:
[...]

I can imagine someone skilled in dental photography find their skills
transfer quite well to porn photos.

Old October 16th 05, 07:15 PM
Robert C.

k...

wrote:

This is an odd trend; I wonder about the cause and effect with dentists
and photography. :-) Locally, there's known to be a large Internet porn
company that's owned by (you guessed it) - two dentists. No knowing if
they shoot their own pics, but I'd bet so.

I think the same aspect of the personality (fascination with mechanical
things?) that leads them to dentistry tends to make them hardware
junkies. My GP doesn't have much more than a scale and a stethoscope in
his office; my dentist has a computerized 3D X-ray machine and an NC
milling machine to make replacement teeth.

Another dentist I know collects 1958 Cadillacs; has over a dozen of
'em. So it's probably no suprise they're camera collectors; the odd
thing was that they all seemed to be into Nikon instead of Leica.

I have a sneaking suspicion americans pay a lot in dental fees.

Your suspicion is correct. I know not for the USA, but at least in Canada,
dentistry is not part of our so called "universal health care" and believe
me, it costs an arm and a leg.