Battery question

Old August 22nd 09, 08:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_11_]

Default Battery question

"JEP" wrote in message
. 74...
I very rarely use my digital camera, so most of the time it sits in a
drawer unused. When I do use it - either for family shots or on
vacation
- I usually take no more than a couple dozen snaps in a day. In other
words, my camera gets used very infrequently...and when it does get
used,
it gets fairly light usage.

The camera is a 6 year old point-and-shoot Nikon Coolpix 2100 (2
megapixel) that uses AA batteries. I have been using rechargable
Energizer NiMH batteries, 2500 mAh. My problem is that the batteries
are
almost always dead whenever I need my camera; I have to recharge them
every time. They seem to be drain within a week or so.

I bought rechargable NiMH batteries because I was told digital cameras
would deplete other batteries too quickly. But I hope battery
technology
has improved since 2003.

Given my usage patterns, should I be using a different type of battery?
I want something that will hold its charge (for the long periods when
the
camera is not being used) but will have enough juice to get me through a
week or two of vacation when I do use the camera.

What would be best for my needs: slow-discharge rechargable
NiMH...Lithium...something else? Or is it that Energizer just makes
crappy rechargable NiMHs, and the brand is my problem?

Any thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks.

JEP

Try Sanyo eneloop. They have a much lower self-discharge than most NiMH
cells.

David

Old August 22nd 09, 09:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
More Info[_2_]

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 07:38:07 GMT, "David J Taylor"
wrote:

"JEP" wrote in message
[...]

Rayovac also markets the same battery chemistry under a pre-charged NiMH
cell they named "Hybrid". You might find them at a more reasonable price
than Eneloops, often less than 50% the price of Eneloops.

I think Energizer sells a similar product, also labeled as "Pre-Charged" on
the packaging. Any NiMH rechargeable batteries on the shelf being sold with
"pre-charged" on the packaging have this same chemistry. This is why they
can keep them on the shelves that long and safely make that claim.

Do a search on Google using the string: nimh pre-charged

I just did that and many companies are now selling them. Duracell, Delco,
GE, Kodak, etc. etc.

Oddly, I didn't find Energizer on a quick hunt. But I'm almost certain that
I saw some on the shelf one time.

Old August 22nd 09, 07:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MG

"David J Taylor"
wrote in
message om...

"JEP" wrote in message
[...]

I support David's recommendation of low discharge batteries. You can also
look for batteries with hybrid or hybrio in the name. My wife got some
Uniross Hybrio batteries for her camera about a year ago. She hasn't put her
spare set into the camera yet. Still going strong. These batteries are much
cheaper to use than disposable batteries.

MG