GPS

Old September 1st 04, 07:40 AM

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 18:25:58 -0500, Ron Hunter

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 21:02:08 -0500, Ron Hunter
wrote:

Mxsmanic wrote:

Ron Hunter writes:

And a keyboard is the only thing you have on a USB interface?

I have two devices on USB, because that's all they support. One of them
requires that it not share the interface with anything else, which
pretty much blows one of the major advantages touted for USB.

That's out of three computers, too. I have three devices on serial
ports. I have four devices connected via SCSI. I have two devices
connected via PS/2 interfaces.

The keyboard is not among the devices connected via USB, because I like
to keep things simple, and I prefer a keyboard that works no matter what
state the system is in.

It would take dozens of serial ports to equal the data
handling capacity of one USB 2.0 port.

I don't need the data-handling capacity of a USB 2.0 port for the
devices I have connected via serial ports.

No, but in order to transfer megabytes to a GPS, a faster port than
serial (RS232) is highly desirable. Since I no longer get paid to deal
with RS232 ports, and a GPS is a recreational device, I don't intend to
mess with the confusion, and grief of dealing with a serial configuration.

Your call.

Don't bother to take up surfing, either.

If you mean standing up on a stick in heavy waves, I can think of less
painful ways of offing myself.

But gee -- it just might be appropriate technology for those
of us who don't walk on water.

Old September 1st 04, 07:45 AM

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 18:28:22 -0500, Ron Hunter

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 21:09:54 -0500, Ron Hunter
wrote:

Mxsmanic wrote:

Jeremy Nixon writes:

The normal consumer doesn't buy GPS units because they're too complicated
and have things like serial ports.

The normal consumer doesn't buy GPS units because he has no use for
them.

Basically every normal consumer I know, apart from my parents, wants a
GPS unit but hasn't bought one because there isn't one made for them.
Myself included.

They just want gadgets. In that case, anything will do.

That's because the only ones they're buying are the ones installed in their
cars.

They aren't much use in the home, since homes hardly ever move.

I use mine on trips. Very handy, and I am never lost with it is with me.

It's hard to find a laptop these days that has one.

Ah, laptops. I wouldn't know, as I've never found a use for a laptop.

I have use for one, but the ease with which one can be stolen, or
damaged has deterred me from buying one.

Desktop computers aren't nearly as relevant since they're not portable.

I can't imagine anyone dragging a laptop around in any situation that
would justify a GPS for navigation.

If you choose to purchase your GPSR at a place like Office
Depot or Staples, you can go just a few aisles away and purchase a
stock of paper and pencils. They are entirely adequate for recording
coordinates if a laptop is not desirable. For simple navigation, you
don't need a laptop.

On a recent cruise I was carefully plotting the daily observations on a
map and measuring to see how far we were from various locations, and how
fast we were going (average). Then I went on a tour of the ship and
found that the computer that did the ship's navigation had a display I
could look at and find all that data displayed on a moving map. Kinda
made me feel silly.

I, on the other hand, don't feel at all silly that I can
extract a square root with paper and pencil. You'd be aghast at what I
made my kids do before I'd let them buy calculators in junior high.

And if you really cozied up to the navigator on board, you'd
likely find he had his own personal GPSR, sextant and HO tables
squirreled away somewhere.

Huh? How about a person who does research on his ancestry and visits
cemetaries, and other places, like old homes? Being able to pinpoint a
grave is a very useful feature, if one needs to return to it, or
reference it for others.

Tell that to a normal, non-geek person.

They find that out for themselves.

And the average consumer doesn't *care* about the technical potential to
interoperate with anything given enough work.

A lot of GPS buyers are not average consumers.

True, and will remain true until GPS receivers become easier to use, and
getting rid of a complex and bothersome (and SLOW) RS232 serial port
sure would HELP.

Is Jeremy sharing his popsicle sticks with you?

Old September 1st 04, 07:50 AM
Prometheus

In article , Jeremy Nixon
writes
Prometheus wrote:

Lost a sale to, what, one of the five people who would actually buy a laptop
based on their GPS receiver?

I suspect more than one in five informed people purchase equipment to
work together, do you think that people buy equipment so that it will
not work.

Do you really think normal people buy a laptop based on the needs of a GPS
receiver?

If they want them to work then they should. If they purchase a USB
laptop without a serial port then they should purchase GPS Rx with USB,
if they can not be bothered to get that right then they can buy an
adapter which is small, light, cheep and will connect them together. If
they don't there is no point moaning that the world does not adhere to
their psychoses.

Incidentally I would want a serial port anyway.

Good for you. Unbelievable as it may sound, there exist people in the world
who want to do things differently from the way you do.

Indeed, but if they want limited functionality they should not complain
about it.

--
Ian G8ILZ

Old September 1st 04, 08:00 AM
Prometheus

writes
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 22:01:17 +0100, Prometheus
wrote:

-Cut---------
That reminds me of the techno-toy catalogues that come in magazines;
full of things I never knew I did not need.

Yes, that's been a painful gap in my own education. I have to
go to all sorts of toy houses for therapy.

Help may be found at
http://www.thinkgeek.com -- I
particularly recommend http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/6b3b/ --
it should take your mind off the harshness of this worldfor a full
fifteen minutes. And it even has a USB interface to satisfy Jeremy's
fondest dream.

Yep, that's the sort of thing; but anyone purchasing one would then be
denied their complaint that it has not got USB.
--
Ian G8ILZ

Old September 1st 04, 08:05 AM
Prometheus

In article , Jeremy Nixon
writes
Prometheus wrote:

Or you can get GPS receivers with USB interfaces directly on the unit.
Maybe the manufacturers are cleverer than you think.

You have just destroyed his entire false reason for moaning.

I didn't say there don't exist any units with USB interfaces. I said
manufacturers don't make the things in the way that normal people want them,
and that the continued use of serial ports is a blatant symptom of that
failing.

So they are dammed if the don't and dammed if they do. I would be happy
to have both, but I do not expect it to make any difference to
operability.

--
Ian G8ILZ