GPS

Old August 29th 04, 05:11 PM
Ron Hunter

Prometheus wrote:

In article , Digital
Photo writes

I want to use a GPS to record the location where I took a picture. Do
any of
you know of one that records the location, and time when the waypoint is
marked?

The Garmin GPS12 does this, I have one. I would like such a feature with
a camera, perhaps also with a compass, so the EXIF record could include
where and in what direction the photograph was taken; the again perhaps
a notepad would be better, certainly cheaper.

Where is GPS, what direction requires addition of a digital compass
function as well.
Old August 29th 04, 05:11 PM
Ron Hunter

Prometheus wrote:

In article , Ron Hunter
writes

Did I suggest they should remove the serial interface? I suggest that
if a GPS manufacturer wants me to connect my computer to the GPS and
transfer megabytes of information, then 115kbps isn't going to hack
it, even if I didn't mind shutting the computer down to connect, and
then disconnect the GPS (which I DO mind)

I can understand the reluctance to use such a low speed connection for
large amounts of data, but since changing the data would be infrequent I
do not see at as a major disincentive. AS for switching the computer off
to connect a serial device, WHY? I regularly connect and disconnect
serial devices without switching anything off to do so, maybe it was
important in the old days but modern systems are for more resilient.

It's your computer, and your peripheral. Not on mine, thanks.

Old August 29th 04, 05:13 PM
Ron Hunter

Prometheus wrote:

In article , Ron Hunter
writes

and requires power cycling to connect and disconnect

No it does not, my PCs at home and work do not; I regularly connect and
disconnect their serial ports.

Sigh.

It is impossible to even REACH my serial port without disconnecting
everything, and moving my computer desk. NOT going to happen.

Old August 29th 04, 05:14 PM
Ron Hunter

Dave Head wrote:

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 20:10:45 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

Mxsmanic wrote:

Ron Hunter writes:

A serial port still? Sigh.
This GPS owner will NOT buy another one until they abandon this artifact
of a previous century!

Why abandon it? It's adequate to the task and it's the most compatible
interface around.

Not at all. 90% of the problems people reported with communications
before USB and Ethernet became common were caused by incorrect serial
port connections, or setup. It's a SLOW and cumbersome method, and
requires power cycling to connect and disconnect. It's fine for
connecting a keyboard, but I wouldn't deal with it again for all the tea
in China.
I certainly won't buy another GPS receiver until they ditch the ancient
interface.

Where does this "power cycling" thing come from? I don't powercycle anything
when connecting and disconnecting RS-232 devices. This is just plain wrong.
I've been using RS-232 since the mid-80's, and none of the equipment needed to
be shut down to connect or disconnect an RS-232 device.

Dave Head

and I have been using them since the mid 1970's (earlier at work) and
the instructions ALWAYS stated that both devices should be powered off.
Bet they still do!

Old August 29th 04, 05:18 PM
Ron Hunter

Mxsmanic wrote:

Ron Hunter writes:

I'm not drawing one. The analogy of batteries to serial connections was
a bad one.

It was entirely pertinent. You appear to favor change for the sake of
change, so discarding AA batteries simply because there's something
newer would make sense according to your reasoning, just as you seem to
wish to discard serial interfaces just because there is something newer.

I attempted to use it once, but couldn't decipher the software so I am
not sure if the serial port was correctly configured, or not. The
software was an example of software written by people who knew exactly
how the system worked, but weren't ABOUT to let the user in on their
secret. I discarded the idea of loading localized databases after a few
tries.

My Palm Pilot works perfectly over the serial port, and it did so from
the instant I plugged it in. There was nothing to configure.

I think you have a software problem, not a hardware problem.

I love the GPS, and enjoyed using it on vacation this year (Alaskan
Cruise), and would love to have one with the moving map, but the idea of
trying to load several megabytes of data to it over a serial connection
is just NOT something I would undertake.

There are always paper maps.

When there is something significantly better and easier to use than AA
batteries, then I will switch. I guess you guys are satisfied with a
1950 model car and still have round color TVs (or black and white).
The old RS232 serial ports are ancient history, and defending them makes
about as much sense as defending the continued inclusion of 3.5 inch
floppies in new computers. Some people just won't let go of the old
worn out stuff.

Enjoy the 1900's, I'm bound for the future.
Old August 29th 04, 05:19 PM
Ron Hunter

Mxsmanic wrote:

Ron Hunter writes:

It ain't the money, it's the principle. Some of us still have principle.

Some of us have learned not to fix things that aren't broken.

Enjoy the 1900's. I live in the the 21st century.
Old August 29th 04, 05:20 PM
Ron Hunter

Mxsmanic wrote:

Ron Hunter writes:

I doubt it, but then I suspect I am not the ONLY one who feels this way.
I have heard others express the same opinion.

You are probably a minority of total users. Besides, no other interface
is so universal.

Sigh.

I give up. Now I know why so many people don't even know what a GPS is.