White balance problems

Old March 27th 06, 12:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default White balance problems

Using a Canon D10 in full manual mode photographing subjects on stage lit by
tungsten spotlights. When using white balance set to auto, the images have
a strong yellow cast. When setting white balance to tungsten, they have a
strong blue cast. So, any suggestions as I would have hoped that the latter
setting would balance correctly?

TIA

Old March 27th 06, 12:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Gremlin wrote:
Using a Canon D10 in full manual mode photographing subjects on stage lit by
tungsten spotlights. When using white balance set to auto, the images have
a strong yellow cast. When setting white balance to tungsten, they have a
strong blue cast. So, any suggestions as I would have hoped that the latter
setting would balance correctly?

TIA

Sorry, that should have been a Canon 10D - oops!

Old March 27th 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Randall Ainsworth wrote:
In article , Gremlin
wrote:

Using a Canon D10 in full manual mode photographing subjects on stage lit by
tungsten spotlights. When using white balance set to auto, the images have
a strong yellow cast. When setting white balance to tungsten, they have a
strong blue cast. So, any suggestions as I would have hoped that the latter
setting would balance correctly?

Shoot RAW.

I am curious as to what shooting RAW has to do with the white balance?

If I am taking photos in strange light like this, I normally take a
photo of a white card, and then adjust use the AWB setting to adjust
the photos in the camera. I used to use a white and gray card with
35mm and darkroom to adjust the photos on film.

Why would RAW make any difference other than to take up more of your
disk space on the camera?

roland

Old March 27th 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

piperut wrote:
Randall Ainsworth wrote:

In article , Gremlin
wrote:

Using a Canon D10 in full manual mode photographing subjects on stage lit by
tungsten spotlights. When using white balance set to auto, the images have
a strong yellow cast. When setting white balance to tungsten, they have a
strong blue cast. So, any suggestions as I would have hoped that the latter
setting would balance correctly?

Shoot RAW.

I am curious as to what shooting RAW has to do with the white balance?

If I am taking photos in strange light like this, I normally take a
photo of a white card, and then adjust use the AWB setting to adjust
the photos in the camera. I used to use a white and gray card with
35mm and darkroom to adjust the photos on film.

Why would RAW make any difference other than to take up more of your
disk space on the camera?

RAW is good for these situations. Much easier to post-shoot adjust white
balance. And then batch process if light temp is similar across the shoot.

It'd be even easier to shoot a custom white balance prior and use RAW
also, for both exposure adj. latitude and small corrections in WB.

--
John McWilliams
Old March 27th 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

You can use the custom white balance along with the RAW settings?
I have just been using it in jpg mode, as I understood the camera did
the corrections in jpg mode.
It was my understanding the the cameras do not do much corrections in
RAW mode.

I may have to attempt using a custom white balance with RAW and see
what the results are.

roland

Old March 27th 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

You can fix that with a raw convertor like Bibble where you adjust the
white balance by sampling a part of the picture which should be pure
white.

Old March 28th 06, 02:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Randall Ainsworth wrote:
In article , Gremlin
wrote:

Using a Canon D10 in full manual mode photographing subjects on stage lit by
tungsten spotlights. When using white balance set to auto, the images have
a strong yellow cast. When setting white balance to tungsten, they have a
strong blue cast. So, any suggestions as I would have hoped that the latter
setting would balance correctly?

Shoot RAW.

OK, thanks for that....already shooting RAW mode....

I suppose that, what I am really interested in in, why is there such an
apparent variation or "lack" of functionality in the camera settings?
In auto WB, it doesn't detect that it is too warm, yet setting it to
tungsten makes it too cool.... I would have expected that at least one
of the settings would have been close to "optimal".
Old March 29th 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

piperut wrote:

This is what I do. I set the camera on a high ISO (either 800 or 1600)
I know I am going to have to deal with some noise doing this. Set the
camera on AWB, and right before the show in the theatre take a photo of
a white card in the house lights of the theatre Snipped bits out

Then keep the photo of the white card, and keep the camera set on AWB
for the performance. Then you only have to do a little bit of
adjustment on the computer for contrast, light levels, and grain.
Instead of a lot of temp. color adjustment.

I forget, if I ever knew, what you shoot with. On two Canon DSLRs, at
least, you shoot the white card, and then set the the camera to custom
white balance, and then navigate to the white card image you just took.

As to RAW, it's worth my time to do this even tho I have the option of
changing the WB in the development stage.

Now, doing this consistently is another matter....

--
john mcwilliams