Photography software for Palm

Old April 9th 04, 07:06 AM
Frank Pittel

Default Photography software for Palm

I'm not looking for software to display digital photos.

What I want is software that would help me while making photographs.
I would like software to help with things like reciprocity compensation,
bellows extension, logging individual exposure information including zone
system information.

I am currently using photologger and it does some of what I need but not
enough. I mostly just use it for reciprocity compensation and use a note
pad for the rest

-------------------

Old April 9th 04, 12:03 PM
Vladamir30

I'm not looking for software to display digital photos.

What I want is software that would help me while making photographs.
I would like software to help with things like reciprocity compensation,
bellows extension, logging individual exposure information including zone
system information.

You pretty much described Phil Davis' program sold by The View Camera Store.
I think it's now called "ExpoDev for Palm," costs around $120. I used it for
about five years back when it was loaded in a Casio pocket computer. I
believe the Palm version is pretty much the same thing. It does a bunch of
things for you, such as calculate reciprocity, gives you the average
gradient of each photograph for development time purposes, calculates
bellows compensation, serves as a timer, provides a record of each
photograph that you can later print out, calculates depth of field, and a
number of other things I'm now forgetting.

Some people seem to think that it's "wrong" to use a computer in the field.
The criticisms I've read of the practice have been based on the premise that
you're using a computer to tell you how to make your photograph. Of course
it doesn't do anything like that. Apart from its functions as a timer and
record keeper it mainly just relieves you of making math calculations in
your head and frees you up to concentrate on the photograph. I found it very
useful but it does slow you down. Most of the time I didn't need most of its
functions. I was using it mainly just to get to the average gradient and as
a record keeper and timer but at least with the Casio version you had to
step through all of its possible functions to get to those points. I
finally decided that I didn't need the degree of precision that it provides
and when the Casio broke and couldn't be repaired I never bought the Palm
version.

Old April 9th 04, 03:00 PM
Bill McMannis

Bob Wheeler's Vade Mecum is pretty good. I used it on my Palm Vx and
now have his SysRPL version running on my HP 48GX. It is downloadable
at: http://www.bobwheeler.com.

Bill
Old April 9th 04, 03:29 PM
jjs

In article ,
"Vladamir30" wrote:

[...] Apart from its functions as a timer and
record keeper it mainly just relieves you of making math calculations in
your head and frees you up to concentrate on the photograph. I found it very
useful but it does slow you down. [...]

Agreed. If a person has some particular difficulty remembering the short
formulae, or with arithmetic in general I say it's a good thing, but I
have to wonder if one who uses such a device doesn't eventually find that
he's learned the answers, or intuited them after several uses.

Me, I just pack the good old Woodchuck Manual and pencil out the hard
parts. (That comment should date me.)
Old April 10th 04, 12:42 AM
Frank Pittel

That's exactly wwhat I'm looking for. Thanks for pointing me in the right
direction.

I don't have any problem with using a palm for keeping note, calculating bellows
extension, reciprocity compensation, filter factors, timing etc. I'm using a note
pad to do that now. Then again I'd be happy with a 60mm-400mm zoom (with no
distortian at either extreme, autofocus and motorized film changer. :-) After
all the making of an exposure is all about the compensation and zone placement.

I wonder if the people that have an issue with using palms in the field use a
lightmeter. After all doesn't the light meter tell you what exposure to use? :-)

:
[...]

: ...
: I'm not looking for software to display digital photos.
:
: What I want is software that would help me while making photographs.
: I would like software to help with things like reciprocity compensation,
: bellows extension, logging individual exposure information including zone
: system information.
:
: I am currently using photologger and it does some of what I need but not
: enough. I mostly just use it for reciprocity compensation and use a note
: pad for the rest
:
: --
:
:
:
:
: Keep working millions on welfare depend on you
: -------------------
:

-------------------

Old April 10th 04, 01:11 AM
jjs

In article , Frank Pittel
wrote:

[...]
I wonder if the people that have an issue with using palms in the field use a
lightmeter. After all doesn't the light meter tell you what exposure to

use? :-)

As a matter of fact, Frank, if you remain conscious of your subject,
conditionas and light meter readings, you will find that you really do NOT
need a light meter as often as you think you do. With experience, it's not
even neccessary. It affirms what you see. The more you use it
unconsciously, the less you learn.
Old April 10th 04, 02:25 AM
Frank Pittel

jjs wrote:
: In article , Frank Pittel
: wrote:

: [...]
: I wonder if the people that have an issue with using palms in the field use a
: lightmeter. After all doesn't the light meter tell you what exposure to
: use? :-)

: As a matter of fact, Frank, if you remain conscious of your subject,
: conditionas and light meter readings, you will find that you really do NOT
: need a light meter as often as you think you do. With experience, it's not
: even neccessary. It affirms what you see. The more you use it
: unconsciously, the less you learn.

I've heard that before. While I believe it possible for people to do I don't
have that gift. Just as some people have the gift of perfect pitch, I have
a tin ear and am tone deaf.

I've tried determing the exposure and checking with a light meter and have yet to
come close. Until I can get to within a stop of my meter reading I'm going to
have to stick with using a meter. :-)

I also know that people sometimes make more of getting the "perfect" exposure.
I've used many a camera over the year with fixed aperature and shutter speed
and have gotten good prints from it. I've also noticed that none of my shutters
have click stops for the aperature of even line markings. The numbers are there
but little indication is given as to exactly where. Anything other then full
stops is done by the by gosh, by golly method.