Ektachrome color shift?

Old December 12th 04, 11:23 PM
Nate

Default Ektachrome color shift?

I have a few hundred slides that were exposed and processed in the
late 1950's and early 1960's. The slides are both Kodachrome and
Ektachrome. I have noticed a distinct difference between them.

The Kodachrome slides appear very good in their color balance - many
of them look like they were taken yesterday. All of the Ektacrhome
slides have a dominant red color. I am hoping that I can adjust for
this after scanning them.

Can anyone tell me why the E-6 slides have this red color shift?
Would they have looked more balanced 45 years ago when they were first
processed?

Thanks,

Nate
Old December 12th 04, 11:36 PM

Dyes fade. Ektachrome films (E-3, E-4, and E-6) are less stable than
Kodachrome in the dark, where they spend most of their lives. The
answer is to use Kodachrome whenever possible if you desire maximum
dark-keeping stability.

Kodachrome's dyes are of a different kind than Ektachrome dyes.

Today's Ektachrome films are somewhat more stable than those of the
past.

Yes, when they were new the Ektachromes looked good.

Old December 13th 04, 07:12 AM
Tom Phillips

Nate wrote:

I have a few hundred slides that were exposed and processed in the
late 1950's and early 1960's. The slides are both Kodachrome and
Ektachrome. I have noticed a distinct difference between them.

The Kodachrome slides appear very good in their color balance - many
of them look like they were taken yesterday. All of the Ektacrhome
slides have a dominant red color. I am hoping that I can adjust for
this after scanning them.

Can anyone tell me why the E-6 slides have this red color shift?
Would they have looked more balanced 45 years ago when they were first
processed?

Ektachrome dyes are not as stable as Kodachrome dyes.
To prevent color shifts (predominantly yellow dye layer
fading, then cyan, then magenta) you should store slides
at 45F in the dark. You should also avoid projecting
originals (which astronomically increases dye layer fading
due to the heat and light intensity of projection lamps)
and have dupes made for projection purposes.

Kodachrome yellow dye layer fading is less than half that
of Ektachrome films at normal room temperatures. But at
refrigerated at 45 degrees F both are equally stable.

Old December 13th 04, 02:25 PM

Got a spare refrigerator?

Old December 13th 04, 02:25 PM

Got a spare refrigerator?

Old December 13th 04, 02:25 PM

Got a spare refrigerator?

Old December 13th 04, 09:59 PM
MXP

Why did Kodak stop producing Kodachrome 25?
Kodachrome 64 is a bad replacement......they could have discontinued that
instead.
Kodachrome 25 in 120 format could have been interresting too.
Kodachrome prints well on Ilfochrome.

Max

skrev i en meddelelse
oups.com...
Got a spare refrigerator?

Old December 13th 04, 09:59 PM
MXP

Why did Kodak stop producing Kodachrome 25?
Kodachrome 64 is a bad replacement......they could have discontinued that
instead.
Kodachrome 25 in 120 format could have been interresting too.
Kodachrome prints well on Ilfochrome.

Max

skrev i en meddelelse
oups.com...