Red filter included with contrast filters...

Old November 22nd 04, 08:52 PM
Claudio Bonavolta

"Jed Savage" wrote in message
ups.com...
I thought B&W VC paper was sensitive to red light - and that's why
there are the amber filters for safe lights. Must be just a certain
spectrum of red?

It can look red but still emit in the sensitive part of the spectrum for your paper.
Like presumed inactinic lights, it's a good habit to check it from time to time.

--
Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch

Old November 22nd 04, 08:59 PM
John McGraw

"Claudio Bonavolta" wrote in message ...
"Joe Makowiec" wrote in message
. 166...
On 21 Nov 2004 in rec.photo.darkroom, Jed Savage wrote:

I bought a used darkroom from a friend and it came with VC filters...
along with the filters (in the same box but not cased with the other
filters) there is also a red filter (very RED red) same construction
but has it's own case - what's this for?

Focusing on the paper.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

and positioning the paper when not using an easel.

and positioning a vignette or burning card, or dodging tool.

Old November 22nd 04, 09:54 PM
Mike King

VC paper is sensitive to blue and green light, insensitive to red.
Panchromatic papers like Panalure and all color paper are sensitive to red
green and blue light but there is a gap in sensitivity where the dark amber
"safelight" resides. Probably more correct to say less "un"-safe rather
than truly safe.

--
darkroommike

----------

Old November 23rd 04, 07:47 AM
Jim Phelps

"Jed Savage" wrote in message
ups.com...
I thought B&W VC paper was sensitive to red light - and that's why
there are the amber filters for safe lights. Must be just a certain
spectrum of red?

Mike (Darkroom Mike) already explained the sensitivity issue. However, like
I said my the last sentence in the above post, you should always test, just
like a safelight...