Newby Question on Chemicals' shelf life...

Old November 18th 04, 04:13 PM
Lloyd Usenet-Erlick

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:36:37 GMT, Gregory W Blank

Kosher Salt ? Interesting.
Lox anyone :-)

nov1804 from Lloyd Erlick,

You can use Lox on your prints but they will attract
cats.

--le

Old November 19th 04, 01:31 AM
Jed Savage

No, I have another room (besides the bathroom) I was thinking of
converting into a darkroom eventually, but there's a water heater in
there. So my concern is with the pilot light. I doubt the fumes
would be concentrated enough even if they are flamable as I'll be
venting anyway.

"Dickless Cheney" wrote in message .com...
"Jed Savage" wrote in message
What
about flamibility?

Are you trolling?

Old November 19th 04, 02:38 AM
Tom Phillips

Jed Savage wrote:

No, I have another room (besides the bathroom) I was thinking of
converting into a darkroom eventually, but there's a water heater in
there. So my concern is with the pilot light. I doubt the fumes
would be concentrated enough even if they are flamable as I'll be
venting anyway.

Pilot lights can be _very_ bright if they go to a
full burn. I'd say fog. I'd move the water heater
frame around it.

"Dickless Cheney" wrote in message .com...
"Jed Savage" wrote in message
What
about flamibility?

Are you trolling?

Old November 19th 04, 03:00 AM
Jed

The heater is actually in a closet, so it won't be too hard to mask any
light coming from it. I just don't want to end up blowing myself up. :P

Old November 19th 04, 03:03 AM
Jed

"Dickless Cheney" wrote:
"Jed Savage" wrote in message

Oh... one more thing... and why can't I buy indicator stop-bath
online?

Who cares? Use vinegar, or Kosher salt.

Kosher salt? You're joking right?

I've heard of using vinegar... also citric acid from a grocery store.
Seems pointless though as stop bath is so cheap. The only reason I
would use anything "home-made" would be to get rid of odor.
Old November 19th 04, 05:59 AM
Tom Phillips

Jed wrote:

In article ,
"Dickless Cheney" wrote:
"Jed Savage" wrote in message

Oh... one more thing... and why can't I buy indicator stop-bath
online?

Who cares? Use vinegar, or Kosher salt.

Kosher salt? You're joking right?

I've heard of using vinegar... also citric acid from a grocery store.
Seems pointless though as stop bath is so cheap. The only reason I
would use anything "home-made" would be to get rid of odor.

It's not cheap if you have to order glacial acetic acid,
which is what a lot of us prefer and then dilute to 1-2%
stop bath. Hazardous shipping charges apply.

White distilled Vinegar = a 5% solution of glacial acetic
acid. Odor is the same.
Old November 19th 04, 06:10 AM
Tom Phillips

Jed wrote:

The heater is actually in a closet, so it won't be too hard to mask any
light coming from it. I just don't want to end up blowing myself up. :P

Typical film/print chemicals are not flammable.
But probably a good idea to seal it off from
the room.

Old November 19th 04, 02:10 PM
Jed Savage

I'd use citric acid for oder problems.