A Nikon DSLR story

Old April 19th 13, 12:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

Default A Nikon DSLR story

On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 00:22:43 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

Guy buys a D800. Has the left-focus issue. Gets a new one. Same
issue. Guy sends new one in for fixing. They send it back, but now
the focus is off (not by as much) everywhere. Seems they tried to
"average" the error. Guy goes to Nikon directly. He's asking them,
"just give me a new body." They are hemming and hawing.
In comes some photog with their new 800mm lens. Plops it down on the
counter and tells them there is something wrong with it, not
functionally, something physical. Camera repair people run off to get
a manager or something to deal with the guy who wants a new D800
body. The guy wanting the new body and the (evidently, his
description) "internet camera bigwig" start talking to each other.
Manager comes out and insists that they will repair the D800 the guy
already has, but won't give him a new one. Internet guy shouts, "Just
give him a new body!" Nikon gives the guy a new D800.

But did it fix the AF issue?
Old April 20th 13, 02:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

wrote:

[...]

He said that this current one is as good as he's seen. It still has
the left-side issue to a degree, but it's better and the other areas
are fine. He said based on the conversations he had there, it's
impossible with the current camera to fix it completely. I'd really
love to know the mechanics of what has happened, just to know if it
will require a brand new design to correct it. If Nikon releases a
D900 with notable changes, that could be the reason.

Pretty embarassing for Nikon. The introduce a potentially killer
camera and it's handicapped with an AF issue. What a shame. I'd never
pay that much for a camera and have to work around something as
fundamental as an AF issue.
Old April 20th 13, 06:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Ironic that the cheapest cameras in the line don't seem to have these
issues, or is it that their users don't notice them?

Ironic that ou post an undocumented story, and forget to mention tht the
issue has been fixed. Or, have you stopped reading DP Review.

--
PeterN
Old April 21st 13, 04:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

wrote:

[...]

I read DP Review, and still see many, many complaints about the two
latest issues, the AF issue on the D800 and the "ink spots" on the
D600. As far as I can see neither has been completely fixed. Then
again, maybe I missed that story. Can you post a link to anything that
confirms the AF fix? Not being sarcastic, but I really want to know
since my brother is in the market for one.
Old April 21st 13, 06:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

I do not have that issue on my D800. When i first got it I brought it
into Nikon repair, and they carefully checked it out, while I waited.
One of my friends, who is quite picky, also has one, and has not had the
issue. Went out shooting this morning with two D600 owners, who have not
voiced any complaints. Perhaps certain batches have the problem. This
afternoon I am going to a presentation by a Nikon sponsored
photographer, with whom I have had some very nice conversations in the
past. I will try to tap him for more information.

--
PeterN
Old April 21st 13, 09:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Sorry, I tried, but could not get more information.

--
PeterN
Old April 24th 13, 12:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Hopefully, he's not too "Nikon sponsored" to provide the straight dope.

Unfortunately, we were unable to have a conversation. [-(

I have had the pleasure of meeting several photographers who were
sponsored by different manufacturers. In private, all were quite
realistic about their the strength and weaknesses of their products.

--
PeterN
Old April 24th 13, 02:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Other than the focus issues of the Nikons and the sensor issues of the
Canon's, what else is a weakness of either brand?

I have no idea. I do not have the focus issue. I don't worry about
Canon. I simply want to make the best images I can. They may not be
great, but I enjoy what I have, rather than bitch about the "flaws" in
things I don't have, and probly never will have.

--
PeterN
Old April 26th 13, 01:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

If the right side is in focus and the left isn't it's not an AF issue,
although setting AF to average between the two might be seen as an
amelioration which could be called by a salesdroid a "fix". If the
unbalanced left right focus issue happens with all lenses then it's a
problem of alignment between lens and sensor or the sensor not being
quite as flat as it should be.

He said that this current one is as good as he's seen. *It still has
the left-side issue to a degree, but it's better and the other areas
are fine. *He said based on the conversations he had there, it's
impossible with the current camera to fix it completely. *I'd really
love to know the mechanics of what has happened, just to know if it
will require a brand new design to correct it. *If Nikon releases a
D900 with notable changes, that could be the reason.

Pretty embarassing for Nikon. The introduce a potentially killer
camera and it's handicapped with an AF issue. What a shame. I'd never
pay that much for a camera and have to work around something as
fundamental as an AF issue.

Not an AF issue.

Ironic that the cheapest cameras in the line don't seem to have these
issues, or is it that their users don't notice them?

I've upgraded camera bodies and been able to use the superior
resolution and new features to discover problems in some of my lenses,
and problems with some of my well established techniques. Also
happened when I changed from film to digital.

[...]

That depends on what things you have come to regard as strengths you
need. For example I never gave a damn about mirror lock up until the
time 30 years ago when I tried to take sharp shots by available light
of distant murals in a dim church. The combination of long lens and
long exposure demonstrated mirror slap vibration problems very
graphically to me. I then decided that lack of mirror lock up was an
SLR camera weakness I'd never tolerate again. And once I'd got past
mirror slap vibration problems I later progressed to regarding shutter
slap vibration problems as a weakness.

Strengths and weaknesses depend on what kind of photography you do and
how. For example I regard not being able to autofocus a mirror lens as
a weakness, whereas most photographers don't even know or care what a
mirror lens is.
Old April 26th 13, 02:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN[_3_]

On 4/26/2013 8:32 AM, Chris Malcolm wrote:
RichA wrote:

snip

[...]

When I bought my mirror lens, that was not a weakness. Autofocus didn't
exist, except in concept.
Actually when I used the term "strengths and weakness" I was referring
to the inherent compromises that each photographer feels can be best for
his shooting preferences.
e.g. While I enjoyed the articulated viewfinder on my old Coolpix, I
became quite impatient with its shutter lag. When I got my new camera, I
had to decide whether being able to shoot at a higher frame rate was
worth the difference in cost. I decided it was not. One of my friends
decided it was. If I did a lot of sports shooting, I would have made the
same decision.

BTW for me one of the great strengths of Nikon, is that I live about ten
minutes from the Nikon repair facility.

--
PeterN

Another plastic DSLR horror story RichA Digital SLR Cameras 51 January 17th 08 02:32 AM
Tell Your Story - Wondershare Released Photo Story Platinum kena Digital Photography 0 June 12th 07 09:42 AM
story Happy Man Digital Photography 1 March 6th 07 04:34 PM
Nikon D70 dSLR or Nikon CP8800 Non dSLR (Non-CCD Cleaning!!) ?? Digital Photography 62 March 18th 05 08:41 AM
Nikon D70 dSLR or Nikon CP8800 Non dSLR (Non-CCD Cleaning!!) ?? Digital Photography 0 March 3rd 05 06:48 AM