Pentax question

Old February 13th 13, 01:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Pentax question

On 2013-02-12 15:42:07 -0800, John Turco said:

Canon and Nikon are on top, both now and in the foreseeable future.
Recall what happened to Kodak, though -- nothing lasts forever!

John

You don't see too many Henderson or Sears motorcycles around today either.
http://db.tt/COhBnhIE
http://db.tt/sGZmgOVu

Savageduck

Old February 13th 13, 04:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

"John Turco" wrote in message
Really? I'd read that Pentax's optics are the equal of Nikon's and
Canon's, at the very least. (Not that it truly matters, anymore, as
Pentax
has been reduced to relative obscurity.)

Exactly, the real problem with once big manufacturers like Pentax,
Olympus,
Minolta etc is they come and go at whim, often leaving their users stuck
with lenses and accessories and no upgrade path. All have produced some
good
camera's and lenses over the years, but the only ones I'd bet my money on
being around in 10+ years are Nikon and Canon.
Too expensive to swap all my lenses and flashes every few years :-(

Canon and Nikon are on top, both now and in the foreseeable future. Recall
what happened to Kodak, though -- nothing lasts forever!

Right, I'm not betting on even Canon or Nikon to be around in 50 years, I
just won't care by then! :-)
And will Paul Simon ever bring out an update to "Kodachrome" I wonder? :-)

Trevor.

Old February 13th 13, 04:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

On 2013-02-12 15:42:07 -0800, John Turco said:
Canon and Nikon are on top, both now and in the foreseeable future.
Recall what happened to Kodak, though -- nothing lasts forever!

You don't see too many Henderson or Sears motorcycles around today either.

You don't see many photographers still making their own glass plates for
their view camera's either, so what?
You will see lots of veteran and vintage motorcycles at many club days
though, even a couple in my shed :-)
A similar thing applies as to camera manufacturers though, the more popular
ones are easier to get parts for than the obscure ones. Collectors may
prefer the obsure ones simply for their rarity of course. Same applies to
camera's if you don't intend to actually take pictures with them. I'd hardly
buy a new Pentax with the purpose of it becoming a collectors item one day,
but other may I guess.

Trevor.

Old February 13th 13, 05:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-02-12 15:42:07 -0800, John Turco said:
Canon and Nikon are on top, both now and in the foreseeable future.
Recall what happened to Kodak, though -- nothing lasts forever!

You don't see too many Henderson or Sears motorcycles around today either.

You don't see many photographers still making their own glass plates for
their view camera's either, so what?
You will see lots of veteran and vintage motorcycles at many club days
though, even a couple in my shed :-)
A similar thing applies as to camera manufacturers though, the more popular
ones are easier to get parts for than the obscure ones. Collectors may
prefer the obsure ones simply for their rarity of course. Same applies to
camera's if you don't intend to actually take pictures with them. I'd hardly
buy a new Pentax with the purpose of it becoming a collectors item one day,
but other may I guess.

Trevor.

It seems that the most vital piece of information to come out of this
thread is, that you have a shed.

....and that you missed the point of my comment illustrated by two
obviously restored vintage motorcycles whose manufacturers have long
faded into corporate obscurity. (Yup! Even Sears. Whatever happened to
Roebuck?)
My point could have just as easily been illustrated by saying, you
don't see too many Blair Camera Co. Cincinnati Reversible Back Cameras
now-a-days, and adding an image to punctuate.
http://piercevaubel.com/cam/images/b...8rb6x8a337.jpg

Getting back to Pentax, my Spotmatic has been gone for some 40+ years
now, but my weathered, and battered K1000 is still very functional. I
just haven't been able to kill that thing.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/K1000.jpg

Savageduck

Old February 13th 13, 05:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

Trevor wrote:

"John Turco" wrote in message
I bought my K100D in September of 2007. At the time, and ever since, I've
occasionally handled Canon and Nikon display models, in stores. They're
surprisingly light and shockingly plasticky, from everything I've seen.

In fact, one of them (I forgot which brand) had a fairly large zoom lens
attached. Even so, the entire body/lens combo was practically weightless.

Nice combination then if you have to carry it around, and don't intend to
use it as a hammer. None of my Canons has yet broken down on me (from 1DS
level down to IXUS and video) but the only Pentax I ever bought packed it in
with *very* little use. Perhaps bad luck, but didn't impress me much!

(I own a Pentax "K100D" and have always been impressed with its fine
feel and sturdiness.)

nikon and canon have always had a better build than pentax, especially
on the higher end bodies, except perhaps for the pentax lx film slr.

Really? I'd read that Pentax's optics are the equal of Nikon's and
Canon's, at the very least. (Not that it truly matters, anymore, as Pentax
has been reduced to relative obscurity.)

Exactly, the real problem with once big manufacturers like Pentax, Olympus,
Minolta etc is they come and go at whim, often leaving their users stuck
with lenses and accessories and no upgrade path.

Often leaving their users stuck with lenses etc. and no upgrade path?

But Pentax are still the obvious upgrade path for old Pentax lenses,
Olympus of old Olympus lenses, and Sony of old Minolta lenses. Plus
the mirrorless Sony Nex and the several 4/3 systens cameras can accept
lenses with glassless converters from pretty much any old make of 35mm
film camera.

Where's this "often leaving their users stuck?" In the "expert" advice
of the Canonikon salesdroid panting afer commission in your local
camera shop?

--
Chris Malcolm
Old February 13th 13, 11:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Peter Chant

One thing I will add. I bought a K20d a few years back and overall I've
been very happy with it. However, I've not had luck with old Pentax K
manual focus lenses. Happy with the results from auto-focus.

I wondered if AF was fine but my focus screen was somehow regardless of
this out of alignment for manual focus. However, when I tested the
focus seemed to fall at random in-front of and behind where intended.
So I could not say I had a camera issue.

I've just had another go and all seems fine - so perhaps it was a
technique thing.

On 02/06/2013 07:46 PM, Lyndon wrote:
I have been using Pentax film cameras for all of my photography life
(from the H-1a screw mounts). I currently have the MX camera with many
Kmount lenses. I have noticed the K30 pentax camera and am wondering if
it will take the K mount lenses and get approx the same results with
them. For instance, I have a 24mm lens which is a very wide angle
lens. I have been told that earlier dslr cameras could be modified to
take such a lens, but it would no longer give 24mm film comparable
pictures. Hope this isn't too confusing. But I would like to keep using
all my older K mount lens if possible with similar digital result.

Lyndon

Old February 14th 13, 12:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Turco

On 2013-02-12 15:42:07 -0800, John Turco said:

Canon and Nikon are on top, both now and in the foreseeable future.
Recall what happened to Kodak, though -- nothing lasts forever!

John

You don't see too many Henderson or Sears motorcycles around today either.
http://db.tt/COhBnhIE
http://db.tt/sGZmgOVu

Beautiful bikes!

Incidentally, if there's one machine that might possibly outlast Nikon,
Canon (and maybe, everything else), the Boeing B-52 "Stratofortress"
will probably be it.

John
Old February 14th 13, 12:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Turco

On 2013-02-12 15:42:07 -0800, John Turco said:
[...]

Further handsome beasts, of bygone eras!

John
Old February 14th 13, 12:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-02-12 15:42:07 -0800, John Turco said:

Canon and Nikon are on top, both now and in the foreseeable future.
Recall what happened to Kodak, though -- nothing lasts forever!

John

You don't see too many Henderson or Sears motorcycles around today either.
http://db.tt/COhBnhIE
http://db.tt/sGZmgOVu

Beautiful bikes!

Incidentally, if there's one machine that might possibly outlast Nikon,
Canon (and maybe, everything else), the Boeing B-52 "Stratofortress"
will probably be it.

John

....and strangely enough the U2, which is back in service.
There are two others the C47/DC3 many of which are still workhorse
aircraft all over the world, and the C130.

Savageduck

Old February 14th 13, 04:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

"Chris Malcolm" wrote in message
Exactly, the real problem with once big manufacturers like Pentax,
Olympus,
Minolta etc is they come and go at whim, often leaving their users stuck
with lenses and accessories and no upgrade path.

Often leaving their users stuck with lenses etc. and no upgrade path?

But Pentax are still the obvious upgrade path for old Pentax lenses,
Olympus of old Olympus lenses,

Funny that, I have many OM lenses (plus 4 bodies, 3 flashes etc), and bought
a Canon DSLR because it can use those lenses far better than anything
Olympus make. :-) But more importantly, didn't want to get stuck again :-(

Trevor.