What is this weird hatred of different focal lengths?

Old September 8th 12, 03:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Rich[_6_]

Default What is this weird hatred of different focal lengths?

I don't get this oddball hatred of focal lengths not in the "norm" of
camera focal lengths. Scroll down 2/3 and see the comment by sour old
Wizniewski. He claimes 55-58mm focal lengths all "failed." Was it too
difficult getting 10-15% further away from a subject so you end up with
your precious 50mm focal length, if it's that important??

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/09...Distagon-55mm-
F1-4-for-Canon-Nikon-lenses-for-mirrorless-system-cameras

Old September 8th 12, 04:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

:
: http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/09...Distagon-55mm-
: F1-4-for-Canon-Nikon-lenses-for-mirrorless-system-cameras

The picture of "sour old" Wisniewski (note spelling) makes him look a good bit
younger than me, and probably you. But we'll let that pass. Wisniewski's point
may be pedantic and irrelevant (and it was pounced on by at least one other
commenter), but it's based on historical fact. When SLRs first started to
compete with 35mm rangefinder cameras, most came with "normal" lenses of 55mm
or 58mm, rather than the common rangefinder "standard" of 50mm. The
presumption at the time was that it was easier to keep the slightly longer
lens away from the mirror. But the 50mm standard was pretty well ingrained in
the mentality of 35mm photographers, and soon enough the SLR manufacturers
replaced the longer lenses with 50mm designs compatible with their cameras. So
in that sense the longer lenses did "fail".

But surely you knew all that?

Bob
Old September 9th 12, 05:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 17:50:02 +0100, Bruce wrote:
: Robert Coe wrote:
:
: The picture of "sour old" Wisniewski (note spelling) makes him look a good bit
: younger than me, and probably you. But we'll let that pass. Wisniewski's point
: may be pedantic and irrelevant (and it was pounced on by at least one other
: commenter), but it's based on historical fact. When SLRs first started to
: compete with 35mm rangefinder cameras, most came with "normal" lenses of 55mm
: or 58mm, rather than the common rangefinder "standard" of 50mm. The
: presumption at the time was that it was easier to keep the slightly longer
: lens away from the mirror.
:
:
: A small correction:
:
: The true focal length of a 50mm rangefinder lens with Leica mount
: (screw or M bayonet) is about 51.6mm. A lens with a true focal length
: of 50mm needs a second rangefinder helicoid machined into the rear of
: the lens to compensate for the difference in focal lengths.
:
: I am told, but have never confirmed, that the Carl Zeiss 50mm lens for
: M bayonet mount has such a helicoid and, because of its true 50mm
: focal length, has a greater angle of view than Leica "50mm" lenses.
:
: Deviations of a couple of millimetres from the focal lengths engraved
: or painted on the lens are not unusual. I had a Tokina 20-35mm lens
: which actually had a greater angle of view at the wide angle end than
: the Nikon 18-35mm. It's not desperately important unless you are
: upset that you are not getting an angle of view as wide as you thought
: you were paying for.

That's interesting information, but a non sequitur in the thread. Sour old
Wisniewski's point, although he didn't fully explain it, was that although
lenses labelled as 55mm and 58mm were common on early SLRs, they died out
rather quickly in favor of lenses labelled as 50mm, when SLRs entered serious
competition with 35mm rangefinder cameras, on which 50mm lenses were
ubiquitous. Rich objected to Wisniewski's characterization of this phenomenon
as a failure of the longer lenses. At no point did the discussion address the
entirely separate issue of whether the focal lengths of any of those lenses
was accurately stated. What does seem clear, though, is that the SLR lenses
were redesigned to a shorter focal length to accommodate the prevailing
opinion that a 50mm lens was "normal" on a 35mm camera.

Bob
Old September 9th 12, 07:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Trevor[_2_]

"Robert Coe" wrote in message
[...]

Which is all rather amusing when you consider the more serious photographers
used an 85mm lens and a 35mm lens combination far more often than anything
in the 40-70mm range. If anything a 58 mm lens was a little better for
portraits than a 50mm one at least, even if not by much. A fast 50mm is a
much better lens now on a non FF sensor DSLR however IMO.

Trevor.

Old September 9th 12, 02:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Sun, 09 Sep 2012 13:59:40 +0100, Bruce wrote:
: Robert Coe wrote:
:
: On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 17:50:02 +0100, Bruce wrote:
: : Robert Coe wrote:
: :
[...]
: It's called 'broadening the discussion', sometimes termed 'thread
: drift'. Sorry if it offended your sensibilities. ;-)

You portrayed it as a "correction", which I think is confusing to the reader
(as it was to me at first), since it doesn't address anything Rich or I said.
By any other name, I'm fine with it. The fact is that I've contributed to
thread drift myself often enough.

Bob
Old September 9th 12, 06:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

"Trevor" writes:

Which is all rather amusing when you consider the more serious photographers
used an 85mm lens and a 35mm lens combination far more often than anything
in the 40-70mm range. If anything a 58 mm lens was a little better for
portraits than a 50mm one at least, even if not by much. A fast 50mm is a
much better lens now on a non FF sensor DSLR however IMO.

A 58mm is great on a 1.5X DSLR for portraits :-)
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Old September 9th 12, 11:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article c78ea956-44cd-4f57-80b8-85ef06d59896
@u19g2000yqo.googlegroups.com, RichA says...
On Sep 9, 1:43*pm, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
"Trevor" writes:
Which is all rather amusing when you consider the more serious photographers
used an 85mm lens and a 35mm lens combination far more often than anything
in the 40-70mm range. If anything a 58 mm lens was a little better for
portraits than a 50mm one at least, even if not by much. A fast 50mm is a
much better lens now on a non FF sensor DSLR however IMO.

A 58mm is great on a 1.5X DSLR for portraits :-)

But does it behave the same way as say an 85mm on a FF for the same
subject matter?

Why shouldn't it? The only issue might be the different DOF.
--

Alfred Molon
Old September 10th 12, 12:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

"Trevor" writes:
Which is all rather amusing when you consider the more serious photographers
used an 85mm lens and a 35mm lens combination far more often than anything
in the 40-70mm range. If anything a 58 mm lens was a little better for
portraits than a 50mm one at least, even if not by much. A fast 50mm is a
much better lens now on a non FF sensor DSLR however IMO.

A 58mm is great on a 1.5X DSLR for portraits :-)

But does it behave the same way as say an 85mm on a FF for the same
subject matter?

The 85mm lens bends the light rays less than the 58mm lens does, that might make
a differance... you need to try it!

Old September 10th 12, 12:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

"Trevor" writes:
Which is all rather amusing when you consider the more serious
photographers
used an 85mm lens and a 35mm lens combination far more often than
anything
in the 40-70mm range. If anything a 58 mm lens was a little better for
portraits than a 50mm one at least, even if not by much. A fast 50mm
is a
much better lens now on a non FF sensor DSLR however IMO.

A 58mm is great on a 1.5X DSLR for portraits :-)

That was my point.

But does it behave the same way as say an 85mm on a FF for the same
subject matter?

The 85mm lens bends the light rays less than the 58mm lens does, that
might make
a differance... you need to try it!

Since you are only using the centre part of the focus plane on a non FF
sensor, the "bend" should be the same for the area used.

Trevor.