Corel announces PaintShop Pro X5 - DPReview

Old September 6th 12, 01:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Default Corel announces PaintShop Pro X5 - DPReview

On 2012.09.05[36] 14:40 , Bruce wrote:
Corel has announced PaintShop Pro X5, the latest version of its photo

Gimp is better.

--
"C'mon boys, you're not laying pipe!".
-John Keating.
Old September 6th 12, 05:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 20:54:32 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

On 2012.09.05[36] 14:40 , Bruce wrote:
Corel has announced PaintShop Pro X5, the latest version of its photo

Gimp is better.

http://www.corel.com/corel/product/i...oreKey=nz#tab5

Eric Stevens
Old September 6th 12, 06:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Trevor[_2_]

wrote:

On 2012.09.05[36] 14:40 , Bruce wrote:
Corel has announced PaintShop Pro X5, the latest version of its photo

It's X6 in the Corel Draw Graphics Suite.

Gimp is better.

You're kidding right? Have you actually compared both? While I don't use PS
pro normally, I have used both, and as much as I wish Gimp was better than
Corel, and even half as good as Photoshop (since it's free), it still isn't
yet. (unless it's improved drastically in the month or two since I looked at
it last.)
Great value for money of course :-)

Trevor.

Old September 6th 12, 09:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

On 2012.09.05[36] 14:40 , Bruce wrote:
Corel has announced PaintShop Pro X5, the latest version of its photo

It's X6 in the Corel Draw Graphics Suite.

Gimp is better.

You're kidding right? Have you actually compared both? While I don't use PS
pro normally, I have used both, and as much as I wish Gimp was better than
Corel, and even half as good as Photoshop (since it's free), it still isn't
yet. (unless it's improved drastically in the month or two since I looked at
it last.)
Great value for money of course :-)

I'm not kidding. The problem is that you are misreading the article to
which you are responding.

Alan Browne put his tongue in his cheek and wrote "Gimp is better".

I responded to Alan by posting the link to the tech specs of of the
PaintShop Pro X5 Ultimate.

You seem to have decided that you are responding to but the one Usenet
article and you have further confused the issue by deleting the URL I
posted without mentioning that you had done so. Here it is again:

Old September 6th 12, 09:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Trevor[_2_]

wrote:

On 2012.09.05[36] 14:40 , Bruce wrote:
Corel has announced PaintShop Pro X5, the latest version of its photo

It's X6 in the Corel Draw Graphics Suite.

Gimp is better.

You're kidding right? Have you actually compared both? While I don't use
PS
pro normally, I have used both, and as much as I wish Gimp was better than
Corel, and even half as good as Photoshop (since it's free), it still
isn't
yet. (unless it's improved drastically in the month or two since I looked
at
it last.)
Great value for money of course :-)

I'm not kidding. The problem is that you are misreading the article to
which you are responding.

No, you are misreading my reply.

Alan Browne put his tongue in his cheek and wrote "Gimp is better".

Fine *IF* there was a "tongue in cheek" emoticon, it's pretty hard to know
when someone is joking when no indication at all is given with simple text.

I responded to Alan by posting the link to the tech specs of of the
PaintShop Pro X5 Ultimate.
You seem to have decided that you are responding to but the one Usenet
article and you have further confused the issue by deleting the URL I
posted without mentioning that you had done so. Here it is again:
http://www.corel.com/corel/product/i...oreKey=nz#tab5

I wasn't responding to that post, and thus included *NO* part of your reply.
One thing I didn't decide is that the thread belonged to you alone. Not sure
why you did.

Trevor.

Old September 6th 12, 10:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 6 Sep 2012 18:20:29 +1000, "Trevor" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

If you wanted to respond to Alan Browne you should not have responded
to my article. You should have responded directly to Alan.

I responded to Alan by posting the link to the tech specs of of the
PaintShop Pro X5 Ultimate.
You seem to have decided that you are responding to but the one Usenet
article and you have further confused the issue by deleting the URL I
posted without mentioning that you had done so. Here it is again:
http://www.corel.com/corel/product/i...oreKey=nz#tab5

I wasn't responding to that post, and thus included *NO* part of your reply.
One thing I didn't decide is that the thread belonged to you alone. Not sure
why you did.

The thread doesn't belong to me but the position in the thread to
which you were responding does belong to me. Hence the confusion.

Eric Stevens
Old September 6th 12, 02:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| Alan Browne put his tongue in his cheek and wrote "Gimp is better".
|
| I responded to Alan by posting the link to the tech specs of of the
| PaintShop Pro X5 Ultimate.

I'd be curious to hear details about those opinions.
I've used the new GIMP a bit, but not enough to form
an opinion. I mainly use PSP5 for general editing. A few
years ago I bought PSP 7 or 8 but I found it bloated
with a lot of unnecessary "tools". I haven't tried PS
since v. 5. What I'm curious about is what is really
different.

I typically use contrast/brightness/saturation/hue/
cutting and patching selections/ etc. To my mind something
like a higher quality contrast or brightness function would
be notable, if such a thing is even possible. (I'm not so
sure it is. Those functions are plain math.) But with "features"
like the PS ability to "predictively fill-in" background after
an item is removed from a photo (like filling in trees when
a barn is removed from a landscape), while an interesting
feature that might sometimes be useful, especially for
commercial work in a hurry, I wouldn't count that in judging
a program as an overall graphic editor.

Old September 6th 12, 03:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

I typically use contrast/brightness/saturation/hue/
cutting and patching selections/ etc. To my mind something
like a higher quality contrast or brightness function would
be notable, if such a thing is even possible. (I'm not so
sure it is. Those functions are plain math.)

actually it's more than just math. adobe greatly improved photoshop's
brightness & contrast in cs3, with a legacy option for those who prefer
the old broken behaviour. the old way was linear and could clip.

But with "features"
like the PS ability to "predictively fill-in" background after
an item is removed from a photo (like filling in trees when
a barn is removed from a landscape), while an interesting
feature that might sometimes be useful, especially for
commercial work in a hurry, I wouldn't count that in judging
a program as an overall graphic editor.

why not? it's part of the package and can easily make you more
productive.
Old September 6th 12, 07:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

nospam wrote:
In article , Mayayana

I typically use contrast/brightness/saturation/hue/
cutting and patching selections/ etc. To my mind something
like a higher quality contrast or brightness function would
be notable, if such a thing is even possible. (I'm not so
sure it is. Those functions are plain math.)

actually it's more than just math.

It is? What else is it --- living pixies, kept in slavery?

adobe greatly improved photoshop's
brightness & contrast in cs3, with a legacy option for those who prefer
the old broken behaviour. the old way was linear and could clip.

You *are* aware that non-linear functions are math, too?

-Wolfgang
Old September 6th 12, 07:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Alan Browne wrote:
On 2012.09.05[36] 14:40 , Bruce wrote:
Corel has announced PaintShop Pro X5, the latest version of its photo

Gimp is better.

Especially when it runs on the machine, but PaintShop does not.

-Wolfgang