Depth of field - two of them?

Old February 4th 19, 11:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Depth of field - two of them?

On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 02:55:25 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave
wrote:

On Friday, 1 February 2019 23:24:43 UTC, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 07:30:21 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave
wrote:

On Friday, 1 February 2019 01:44:15 UTC, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Thu, 31 Jan 2019 16:23:44 -0500, nospam

nonsense. most people use their smartphone to connect to the internet
and in many cases, that's all they use. when not using a phone, they're
usually using a laptop, not a desktop. there are *far* more smartphones
than mac and windows pcs combined.

They are still pigs to use in comparison to a desk top.

I wouldn't want to try and use a desk top on the bus, train or in a car.

And at no time do I really want to use my iPad to do, say, a Google
search, but there are occasions when I have to. But I don't like it.

why not, it's like saying you don't want to read a newspaper because of it's size.

A better analogy would be saying that I don't want to read a newspaper
in Reader's Digest format.

Eric Stevens
Old February 4th 19, 11:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

And at no time do I really want to use my iPad to do, say, a Google
search, but there are occasions when I have to. But I don't like it.

why not, it's like saying you don't want to read a newspaper because of it's
size.

A better analogy would be saying that I don't want to read a newspaper
in Reader's Digest format.

that's not better, since it's not reader's digest format, making the
analogy void.
Old February 4th 19, 11:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

It's clumsy and it's slow.

nonsense. it's as fast or faster than a laptop or desktop.

I can't answer for the hardware you use.

the hardware is irrelevant. displaying search results is not cpu
intensive.

But maybe you only do simple
searches.

the complexity or simplicity of a search is also irrelevant.

Yep. You only ask simple questions.

nope.

as usual, you blame everything but yourself for not knowing how to do
something.

Who said I couldn't do it? I said "It's clumsy and slow".

what makes it clumsy and slow is how *you* choose to do it and other
things. that's *your* doing, not a flaw in the ipad.

It's slow because it relies on a wifi link. My desktop is many times
faster.

nonsense.

your isp is the limiting factor, not the network.

you would need a 2 gigabit isp plan *and* a 10gig enet card in your
desktop *and* saturate the network (which a search won't do) for there
to be a difference.

as i said, searching on an ipad is as fast or faster than on a laptop
or desktop.

Google searching is not done on the ipad.

then it can't be clumsy and slow.

do try to keep your story straight.

In the meantime there is all
the stuff that Google sends backwards and forwards to suppot it's
interface.

what interface? google's main page is very, very simple, and the
'stuff' sent will be the same to any computer, actually *less* on
mobile.

you said you use the google app to do searches. that right there is a
huge mistake. that's one reason you find it clumsy.

I agree.

so not the ipad, but rather user error, exactly like i said.

But Google is the best search engine for my purposes so I have to put
up with it's interface even if I search via Safari.

its interface is minimal and certainly not anything that would make
something clumsy and slow.

you'd have to deal with the same ui with *any* computer, including your
desktop.

again, don't blame the ipad because you don't know how to use it to its
fullest potential.

Where there is no difference in user skill for all but the simplest
applications a desk top will always wind hands down over a small
touch-screen.

nonsense.
Old February 5th 19, 10:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 04 Feb 2019 18:43:55 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

That's not my experience.

you would need a 2 gigabit isp plan *and* a 10gig enet card in your
desktop *and* saturate the network (which a search won't do) for there
to be a difference.

Right now my download speed via the iPad is 23 Mbps.. From my desktop
it is 105.3 Mbps. That's more than two whole stops difference. Upload
speeds are about 25% of the upload speeds.

as i said, searching on an ipad is as fast or faster than on a laptop
or desktop.

Google searching is not done on the ipad.

then it can't be clumsy and slow.

do try to keep your story straight.

Please don't try to be stupid. The iPad is just the front end of a
long and complicated process. Some of the problems may be due to the
iPad. Others are due to the Google application for the iPad.

In the meantime there is all
the stuff that Google sends backwards and forwards to suppot it's
interface.

what interface? google's main page is very, very simple, and the
'stuff' sent will be the same to any computer, actually *less* on
mobile.

You know very well what I am talking about. You are very close to
being treated as just another troll.

you said you use the google app to do searches. that right there is a
huge mistake. that's one reason you find it clumsy.

I agree.

so not the ipad, but rather user error, exactly like i said.

But Google is the best search engine for my purposes so I have to put
up with it's interface even if I search via Safari.

its interface is minimal and certainly not anything that would make
something clumsy and slow.

you'd have to deal with the same ui with *any* computer, including your
desktop.

Oh, I never knew that. I always thought my user experience with the
desk top was different from the iPad. The news items which pop up when
I load Google on the iPad don't appear when I load Google on my
desktop. I wonder if I should complain?

again, don't blame the ipad because you don't know how to use it to its
fullest potential.

Where there is no difference in user skill for all but the simplest
applications a desk top will always wind hands down over a small
touch-screen.

nonsense.

Then please explain why for most purposes business seem to prefer desk
tops over small touch screens?

On second thoughts: don't bother. You are only here to argue.

Eric Stevens
Old February 5th 19, 10:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 04 Feb 2019 18:43:54 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

And at no time do I really want to use my iPad to do, say, a Google
search, but there are occasions when I have to. But I don't like it.

why not, it's like saying you don't want to read a newspaper because of it's
size.

A better analogy would be saying that I don't want to read a newspaper
in Reader's Digest format.

that's not better, since it's not reader's digest format, making the
analogy void.

Idiot.

Eric Stevens
Old February 5th 19, 04:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

then your experience is very limited.

you would need a 2 gigabit isp plan *and* a 10gig enet card in your
desktop *and* saturate the network (which a search won't do) for there
to be a difference.

Right now my download speed via the iPad is 23 Mbps.. From my desktop
it is 105.3 Mbps.

then there's a problem with your network hardware and/or its
configuration.

ipads are capable of gigabit speeds, which would be nearly 10x *faster*
than your reported desktop speeds.

don't blame the ipad for a ****ty network.

That's more than two whole stops difference.

download speed is not measures in stops.

Upload
speeds are about 25% of the upload speeds.

they should be the same.

your isp might be asymmetric, but that has nothing to do with the ipad.

as i said, searching on an ipad is as fast or faster than on a laptop
or desktop.

Google searching is not done on the ipad.

then it can't be clumsy and slow.

do try to keep your story straight.

Please don't try to be stupid.

take your own advice. you are having a world of problems doing the
simplest of tasks, a google search, and blaming everything other than
yourself.

The iPad is just the front end of a
long and complicated process.

nonsense. a search is a very simple and straightforward process.

Some of the problems may be due to the
iPad.

none are

Others are due to the Google application for the iPad.

don't use it.

In the meantime there is all
the stuff that Google sends backwards and forwards to suppot it's
interface.

what interface? google's main page is very, very simple, and the
'stuff' sent will be the same to any computer, actually *less* on
mobile.

You know very well what I am talking about. You are very close to
being treated as just another troll.

i know that you're trying to avoid admitting the problem is yourself.

google's 'interface' is a very basic web page. it's remained that way
intentionally, so that searches can easily be done.

you said you use the google app to do searches. that right there is a
huge mistake. that's one reason you find it clumsy.

I agree.

so not the ipad, but rather user error, exactly like i said.

But Google is the best search engine for my purposes so I have to put
up with it's interface even if I search via Safari.

its interface is minimal and certainly not anything that would make
something clumsy and slow.

you'd have to deal with the same ui with *any* computer, including your
desktop.

Oh, I never knew that. I always thought my user experience with the
desk top was different from the iPad. The news items which pop up when
I load Google on the iPad don't appear when I load Google on my
desktop. I wonder if I should complain?

you should complain that you don't know what you're doing and refuse to
learn.

again, don't blame the ipad because you don't know how to use it to its
fullest potential.

Where there is no difference in user skill for all but the simplest
applications a desk top will always wind hands down over a small
touch-screen.

nonsense.

Then please explain why for most purposes business seem to prefer desk
tops over small touch screens?

not anymore they don't.

laptops have been outselling desktops for a couple of decades and more
recently, mobile devices are outselling laptops.

On second thoughts: don't bother. You are only here to argue.

that would be you.
Old February 5th 19, 04:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

what makes it clumsy and slow is how *you* choose to do it and other
things. that's *your* doing, not a flaw in the ipad.

It's slow because it relies on a wifi link. My desktop is many times
faster.

then you have a slow wifi link this is not a fault of the ipad.

correct. he even provided numbers. his network is broken.

again, don't blame the ipad because you don't know how to use it to its
fullest potential.

Where there is no difference in user skill for all but the simplest
applications a desk top will always wind hands down over a small
touch-screen.

No it depends on the devices used.

it also depends on the tasks.

for many things, a tablet or phone is *far* better. for others it's not.

no device is ideal for everything, especially when one doesn't know how
to use it properly.

Old February 6th 19, 03:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 05 Feb 2019 11:16:18 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

I have been told on very good assurance that you can measure anything
in stops, or even EVs, as long as the square root of two is involved.
It doesn't have to have anything to do with lenses.

Upload
speeds are about 25% of the upload speeds.

they should be the same.

In my case they are throttled.

your isp might be asymmetric, but that has nothing to do with the ipad.

But it is a factor in why I don't like using it for applications such
as Google.

as i said, searching on an ipad is as fast or faster than on a laptop
or desktop.

Google searching is not done on the ipad.

then it can't be clumsy and slow.

do try to keep your story straight.

Please don't try to be stupid.

take your own advice. you are having a world of problems doing the
simplest of tasks, a google search, and blaming everything other than
yourself.

There is no question of blame. I am merely comparing experiences.

The iPad is just the front end of a
long and complicated process.

nonsense. a search is a very simple and straightforward process.

Hooking up with Google is tedious and involves multiple backwards and
forward communications.

Some of the problems may be due to the
iPad.

none are

Others are due to the Google application for the iPad.

don't use it.

In your usual style you don't suggest any alternative.

In the meantime there is all
the stuff that Google sends backwards and forwards to suppot it's
interface.

what interface? google's main page is very, very simple, and the
'stuff' sent will be the same to any computer, actually *less* on
mobile.

You know very well what I am talking about. You are very close to
being treated as just another troll.

i know that you're trying to avoid admitting the problem is yourself.

google's 'interface' is a very basic web page. it's remained that way
intentionally, so that searches can easily be done.

Simple searches can be done very easily - once you get it loaded.

--- snip ---

I'm fed up with this. Where you are concerned there is no way that any
Apple experience can be improved. Anyone who criticizes any service on
an Apple device is criticizing Apple (and only Apple). I expect my
criticism will apply equally well to an Android tablet but that idea
is utterly beyond you. I am criticizing Apple and only Apple. You are
a bigot.

Eric Stevens
Old February 6th 19, 03:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 04:54:20 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave
wrote:

On Monday, 4 February 2019 23:15:32 UTC, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sun, 03 Feb 2019 18:56:23 -0500, nospam
wrote:

what makes it clumsy and slow is how *you* choose to do it and other
things. that's *your* doing, not a flaw in the ipad.

It's slow because it relies on a wifi link. My desktop is many times
faster.

then you have a slow wifi link this is not a fault of the ipad.

Who said I thought it was. It's merely a factor coloring my view of
it's use. It's nospam who is seeing my comment as an attack directed
at Apple.