tripod recommendations?

Old March 18th 06, 11:35 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Default tripod recommendations?

I'm looking for advice on a light weight tripod to support a 4x5 field
camera for use while hiking and traveling. Any suggestions would be
appreciated. -- John Lapp

Old March 19th 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

In article .com,
" wrote:

I'm looking for advice on a light weight tripod to support a 4x5 field
camera for use while hiking and traveling. Any suggestions would be
appreciated. -- John Lapp

I like my Reis J100 with the J250 double tilt Head. I use it for my 8x10
camera without problems as well as with the smaller cameras I own.
Has interchangeable threads so you can mount 1/4 -20 or 3/8 socketed
cameras. I like wood pods for a number of reasons-chief being wintertime
use.
--
The things we hate most in life often turn out to be a mirror image
of ourselves. Better not to hate.

Findmedirectly - "infoatgregblankphoto.com"
Old March 19th 06, 03:15 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

wrote

I'm looking for advice on a light weight tripod to support a 4x5 field
camera for use while hiking and traveling.

I find a Gitzo 200 Series 'Reporter' is enough for a field camera. They
have a light carbon fibre version, the aluminum one transmutes to osmium after
a few miles on the trail (trans.: It's a heavy bugger.).

I used to use a Tiltall with a Graphic View and the combination worked
very well. I don't know its weight but the Tiltall always struck me
as being pretty light.

A lot depends on how high you need the tripod to go. The less I extend the
legs on the Gitzo the more it can hold - with the legs splayed and not extended
it will hold a full-dress Sinar, though only at the right height for photos
of wildflowers.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
To reply, remove spaces: n o lindan at ix . netcom . com
Old March 19th 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

On 18 Mar 2006 14:35:28 -0800, "
wrote:

I'm looking for advice on a light weight tripod to support a 4x5 field
camera for use while hiking and traveling. Any suggestions would be
appreciated. -- John Lapp

I use a Manfrotto (Bogen?) 055 tripod for my Wista woodfield 4x5 inch
camera. And I am perfectly happy with it.
Gilbert

_____________
http://www.apug.org
Old March 19th 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

They're not particularly light but the Ries wooden tripods are very, very
good. They're warranteed for life, including accidental damage. The heads
work beautifully too.

If you have to go with a really light pod I'd look into the newest carbon
fiber or whatever they're using these days on the Gitzos.

John Emmons
oups.com...

Old March 21st 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 16:42:40 +0100, Gilbert
wrote:

I use a Manfrotto (Bogen?) 055 tripod for my Wista woodfield 4x5 inch
camera. And I am perfectly happy with it.

i'm using a 055pro for my 135 format cameras: what head do you use for
large format on that tripod, since i'm planning to get another one to
be used with my sinar?
--
Gianni Rondinini (30, tanti, RA)
Nikon user - Bmw driver
Old March 22nd 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

wrote:

I use a Manfrotto (Bogen?) 055 tripod for my Wista woodfield 4x5 inch
camera. And I am perfectly happy with it.

i'm using a 055pro for my 135 format cameras: what head do you use for
large format on that tripod, since i'm planning to get another one to
be used with my sinar?

I use the Manfrotto 410 geared head with a quick release. For 4x5 it's
an ideal head. Very precise and rugged. I can change positions by the
millimeter. For quicker changes the gearing mechanism can be
deblocked, after which it automatically snaps into gearing again. I
use it with a Sinar Norma too. I wouldn't want any other head anymore.
And there is an even bigger version too. You can see some pictuures at
http://www.srosenberg.com/410.html
Gilbert

_____________
http://www.apug.org
Old March 22nd 06, 09:41 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

wrote:

I use a Manfrotto (Bogen?) 055 tripod for my Wista woodfield 4x5 inch
camera. And I am perfectly happy with it.

i'm using a 055pro for my 135 format cameras: what head do you use for
large format on that tripod, since i'm planning to get another one to
be used with my sinar?

I use the Manfrotto 410 geared head with a quick release. For 4x5 it's
an ideal head. Very precise and rugged. I can change positions by the
millimeter. For quicker changes the gearing mechanism can be
deblocked, after which it automatically snaps into gearing again. I
use it with a Sinar Norma too. I wouldn't want any other head anymore.
And there is an even bigger version too. You can see some pictuures at
http://www.srosenberg.com/410.html
Gilbert

_____________
http://www.apug.org

The Manfrotto 410 is the same as the Bogen 3275.
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...asterid=750008
Gilbert

_____________
http://www.apug.org
Old March 23rd 06, 10:53 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

wrote:

I use the Manfrotto 410 geared head with a quick release. For 4x5 it's
an ideal head. Very precise and rugged. I can change positions by the

very well. i was planning to get a 405, then if you can work with a
410 i guess that 405 will be ok.

thank you very much.

regards,
Old March 24th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

I've always wanted a 410 head myself. But they are heavy.
Now, for days with any wind I get out the "beast". (Majestic)
Otherwise a 3201 is suitable for 4x5 (Nagaoka) & 8x10.
But them I'm not packing or hiking.
Wood or modern alloys would be nice for those activities.

Collin
Pentax user ;O
E320 driver :)
http://www.brendemuehl.net
Not much of a site ... yet. But it will "develop" sooner or later.