Which camera for pocket? Sigma DP1?

Old December 1st 07, 03:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Viator

Default Which camera for pocket? Sigma DP1?

Hi all,

I need a small, durable, good quality camera that I can keep
in my jacket pocket at all times to capture sudden
important events and that may include fast-moving objects.
So, my priorities a
- durability
- smaller size
- megapixels
- faster focus

My price range is less than $500 but I could go up.

1.
I have read that the Sigma DP1 will be 14 megapixels, but
older info seems to say it is only to be 5. Which is it?
Also, what will the price be?

2.
I noticed that some Leica camera are nearly identical to
Panasonic's, e.g. Leica Digilux 2 = Panasonic DMC LC-1.
But are the Panasonic cameras as good?

Thanks.
Old December 1st 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kinon O'Cann

"Viator" wrote in message
Hi all,

I need a small, durable, good quality camera that I can keep
in my jacket pocket at all times to capture sudden
important events and that may include fast-moving objects.

I don't think there's any pocketable camera capable of capturing fast moving
objects. They're all pretty slow.

So, my priorities a
- durability
- smaller size
- megapixels
- faster focus

My price range is less than $500 but I could go up.

1.
I have read that the Sigma DP1 will be 14 megapixels, but
older info seems to say it is only to be 5. Which is it?
Also, what will the price be?

According to an article on DPReview, that camera just entered alpha testing,
so it could be a while.

2.
I noticed that some Leica camera are nearly identical to
Panasonic's, e.g. Leica Digilux 2 = Panasonic DMC LC-1.
But are the Panasonic cameras as good?

Same camera, different label.

Thanks.

Old December 1st 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article
,
Viator wrote:

I have read that the Sigma DP1 will be 14 megapixels, but
older info seems to say it is only to be 5. Which is it?
Also, what will the price be?

the dp-1 is vaporware.

sigma just announced they completely scrapped the previous version of
the dp-1 and are redesigning it (but still keeping the name), with an
unknown ship date. based on the specs of last years version (some of
which will be changing), it had a 4.65 megapixel sensor that sigma
(incorrectly) claimed was 14 megapixels. price estimates for it were
around $800-$1000. maybe part of the redesign is to hit a lower price
point.
Old December 1st 07, 04:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott W

On Dec 1, 5:52 am, Viator wrote:
Hi all,

I need a small, durable, good quality camera that I can keep
in my jacket pocket at all times to capture sudden
important events and that may include fast-moving objects.
So, my priorities a
- durability
- smaller size
- megapixels
- faster focus

My price range is less than $500 but I could go up.

1.
I have read that the Sigma DP1 will be 14 megapixels, but
older info seems to say it is only to be 5. Which is it?
Also, what will the price be?

Sigma has a very odd way of counting pixels, they count each one three
times,
so there 14 MP would be something just under 5.

Sigma is having a lot of problems getting the camera to market, it is
just getting into alfa testing now.

I would not even think about buying on untill there are some reviews
out.

Scott
Old December 1st 07, 05:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
/dev/null

"nospam" wrote in message
In article
,
Viator wrote:

I have read that the Sigma DP1 will be 14 megapixels, but
older info seems to say it is only to be 5. Which is it?
Also, what will the price be?

the dp-1 is vaporware.

Wrong, it's Fartware! Like vapourware, but with a smell.

Old December 1st 07, 06:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rich

On Dec 1, 11:31 am, Scott W wrote:
On Dec 1, 5:52 am, Viator wrote:

[...]

Actual resolution thanks to not having the kind of image-degrading
filters as a Bayer camera is that of a 10 megapixel DSLR, or so some
reviewers have said. That is based on the SD14 DSLR which has the
same sensor the pocketable thing is supposed to have. Interesting
thing is, why have they had image problems with it? Is it due to some
incompatibility with the Foveon sensor and a close-sensor fixed focal
length lens? Or, would Sigma actually say they had image problems
when in-fact their market analysis showed that a single focal length
lens is simply not salable in this camera buyer's climate so they went
back to create a 3x zoom or something?

Old December 1st 07, 08:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mr. Strat

In article
,
Viator wrote:

1.
I have read that the Sigma DP1 will be 14 megapixels, but
older info seems to say it is only to be 5. Which is it?
Also, what will the price be?

Sigma lies about megapixels due to their oddball sensor technology. buy
a Sigma camera, and you'll be sorry.

2.
I noticed that some Leica camera are nearly identical to
Panasonic's, e.g. Leica Digilux 2 = Panasonic DMC LC-1.
But are the Panasonic cameras as good?

No.
Old December 2nd 07, 01:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
AKT

Kinon O'Cann wrote:

: But are the Panasonic cameras as good?
: Same camera, different label.

To be precise: Same hardware, different software. Leica's is pricier
and said to be better.
Old December 2nd 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mark B.

"Viator" wrote in message
Hi all,

I need a small, durable, good quality camera that I can keep
in my jacket pocket at all times to capture sudden
important events and that may include fast-moving objects.
So, my priorities a
- durability
- smaller size
- megapixels
- faster focus

My price range is less than $500 but I could go up.

1.
I have read that the Sigma DP1 will be 14 megapixels, but
older info seems to say it is only to be 5. Which is it?
Also, what will the price be?

Why not focus on cameras that are actually available now?

Old December 2nd 07, 03:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kinon O'Cann

"AKT" wrote in message
Kinon O'Cann wrote:

: But are the Panasonic cameras as good?
: Same camera, different label.

To be precise: Same hardware, different software. Leica's is pricier
and said to be better.

I've yet to see this proved. Samples from both cameras are identical. Only
difference I can see is the longer warranty.