I'm close to buying a digital camera

Old February 2nd 07, 02:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Cynicor

Default OT: DMCA

dwight wrote:
"Cynicor" wrote in message
I just noticed from a few comcast posters today...their extended headers
have an X-DMCA-Complaints-To field. How annoying is that?

properly

It's pretty damn annoying.

For the antidote to annoying, behold the Web page my daughter just made.
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/420518/sniff
Old February 2nd 07, 03:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Annika1980

Default I'm close to buying a digital camera

On Feb 1, 5:37 pm, wrote:
I've decided to make the jump from film to digital photography. I need your
advice as to which camera(s) to look at. I've pretty much made up my mind
to get a camera with an integrated zoom lens rather than interchangeable
lenses. Here are a few requirements:

Lens from 28-200mm (35mm equivalent)
Remote shutter release
Connection to an external monitor
Almost no lag between shutter release and exposure.
Suitable for prints from 11 x 14 to 16 x 20
connection for external flash unit
Internal flash unit as far away from lens axis as possible

Your suggestions are greatly valued.

You forgot:
"Under $200" and "Wireless Internet"

Keep dreamin.
You want the quality of a top DSLR, but you want it all in one small
package that does everything. Not even Jack Bauer has one of those.

Old February 2nd 07, 03:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 14:37:28 -0800, normanstrong wrote:

I've decided to make the jump from film to digital photography. I need your
advice as to which camera(s) to look at. I've pretty much made up my mind
to get a camera with an integrated zoom lens rather than interchangeable
lenses. Here are a few requirements:

Lens from 28-200mm (35mm equivalent)
Remote shutter release
Connection to an external monitor
Almost no lag between shutter release and exposure.
Suitable for prints from 11 x 14 to 16 x 20
connection for external flash unit
Internal flash unit as far away from lens axis as possible

Your suggestions are greatly valued.

Thanks,

Norm Strong

IMHO -

I doubt you'll get all those requirements met, but it sounds like, mostly,
you'd be interested in an EVF camera (Electronic ViewFinder). If that's
where you head, I'd strongly suggest you actually look through a number of
them before you buy one. I find the Kodak EVFs superior in at least one
respect - the resolution of the EVF. Most of the others have a resolution
of about 110k pixels and are very blocky when you look through them. The
Kodaks have 237k pixels - much better.

Old February 2nd 07, 03:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Skip

wrote in message
. ..
I've decided to make the jump from film to digital photography. I need
your advice as to which camera(s) to look at. I've pretty much made up my
mind to get a camera with an integrated zoom lens rather than
interchangeable lenses. Here are a few requirements:

Lens from 28-200mm (35mm equivalent)
Remote shutter release
Connection to an external monitor
Almost no lag between shutter release and exposure.
Suitable for prints from 11 x 14 to 16 x 20
connection for external flash unit
Internal flash unit as far away from lens axis as possible

Your suggestions are greatly valued.

Thanks,

Norm Strong

Depends on what you deem "suitable," when it comes to 16x20. The only
camera I'd unhesitatingly recommend that fits all of those parameters would
be the Canon 1Ds mkII with a 28-300 f4.5-5.6 L IS lens on it. It has an
optional remote shutter release, can be connected to an external monitor
through either USB or WiFi, minimal shutter lag, certainly has an external
hot shoe, but no built in flash, so I guess that's as far away from the lens
axis as is possible. The only drawback is that it is about $7000, plus the
lens is another $2000. If you wanted to save a little money, and get
similar results, a Canon 5D would only set you back about $2500-3000, but
the lens would be the same price. Canon makes a 28-200, but it's not a
great lens, and may not yield good 16x20s. On the plus side, both of those
cameras have sensors the same size as a 35mm film frame, so there's no
worries about 35mm equivalent lenses, they perform as advertised. Moving
down in price, there are several 8-12 mp DSLRs with smaller sensors, which
means that you'll need an 18-150,or so, lens, much cheaper, but, again,
might no yield that elusive excellent 16x20.

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old February 2nd 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Daniel Silevitch

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 14:37:28 -0800, wrote:
I've decided to make the jump from film to digital photography. I need your
advice as to which camera(s) to look at. I've pretty much made up my mind
to get a camera with an integrated zoom lens rather than interchangeable
lenses. Here are a few requirements:

Lens from 28-200mm (35mm equivalent)
Remote shutter release
Connection to an external monitor
Almost no lag between shutter release and exposure.
Suitable for prints from 11 x 14 to 16 x 20
connection for external flash unit
Internal flash unit as far away from lens axis as possible

Nikon D80 + the 18-135 kit lens. Put that lens on the camera and
never remove it: presto, "integrated" zoom lens. And it meets most/all
of your other requirements (I'm not sure exactly what you mean by
'connection to external monitor', so that one is iffy).

-dms
Old February 2nd 07, 05:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill

Default DMCA

"Cynicor" wrote in message
t...

It's pretty damn annoying.

For the antidote to annoying, behold the Web page my daughter just
made.
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/420518/sniff

ARGH!

I had to poke a pen in my eye to reduce the level of pain!

:-)

Old February 2nd 07, 09:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Martin Brown

On Feb 1, 10:37 pm, wrote:
I've decided to make the jump from film to digital photography. I need your
advice as to which camera(s) to look at. I've pretty much made up my mind
to get a camera with an integrated zoom lens rather than interchangeable
lenses. Here are a few requirements:

You don't mention what film gear you use at present or what you want
to use it for. One thing that is easy with digital is to have a
pocketable camera of high quality that is always with you. Some are
now too small to be convenient in use.

Definitely handle the camera that you intend to buy. It s no good if
it is perfect spec on paper but you cannot use the hundreds fiddly
controls on the back to make it do what you want. The various makers
have a slightly different take on the interface.

Lens from 28-200mm (35mm equivalent)

That wide zoom range cuts down your choices. and a 7x zoom range
compromises the optics somewhat. Read rewiews carefully! 3-4x optical
zooms tend to be sharper and higher contrast if that is important to
you (and looking below it may be).

Remote shutter release
Connection to an external monitor
Almost no lag between shutter release and exposure.
Suitable for prints from 11 x 14 to 16 x 20

6Mpixel or higher would be suitable for this and there are good
compacts that would meet the spec.

connection for external flash unit

That is rare and may cut down you options to practically zero.

Internal flash unit as far away from lens axis as possible

Makes the camera bigger. Is that really what you want?

Regards,
Martin Brown