OT (But relevant) -- P/S Pocket Camera

Old September 7th 05, 02:54 PM
Norm Dresner

Default OT (But relevant) -- P/S Pocket Camera

I've got a Nikon system with a D70 + 2xN90 and 6 lenses. I've got an old
Minolta XK system with 11 lenses. I've got a Bronica S2 system with 5
lenses. I've even got a Speed Graphic. But none of this fits in my pocket.

I've been carrying around for the last year an old Nikon Coolpix 2200 as a
pocket camera whenever I go out for those candid shots that just come up.
But I used it at a wedding over the weekend and my frustration with its 1-3
second shutter delay made me swear that I'm going to replace it ASAP. But
with what? I'm soliciting recommendations for a P/S pocket digital camera
for a serious photographer who just needs something for those odd times.

TIA
Norm

Old September 7th 05, 06:39 PM
Beach Bum

"Norm Dresner" wrote in message
I've got a Nikon system with a D70 + 2xN90 and 6 lenses. I've got an old
Minolta XK system with 11 lenses. I've got a Bronica S2 system with 5
lenses. I've even got a Speed Graphic. But none of this fits in my

pocket.

I've been carrying around for the last year an old Nikon Coolpix 2200 as

pocket camera whenever I go out for those candid shots that just come up.
But I used it at a wedding over the weekend and my frustration with its

1-3
second shutter delay made me swear that I'm going to replace it ASAP. But
with what? I'm soliciting recommendations for a P/S pocket digital camera
for a serious photographer who just needs something for those odd times.

Hi Norm, this solution isn't what you asked for, but...

Last week I bought a small carry case for an SLR (i have 2). Since then I'm
carrying a camera with me everywhere I go. It looks like I have a purse,
but I don't mind. I'm even starting to carry money in it instead of in my
wallet.

I still carry my Canon s500 with me when I absolutely can't take an SLR and
yeah, the shutter delay bugs me too.

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions
http://www.marklauter.com

Old September 7th 05, 08:00 PM

Norm Dresner wrote:
I've got a Nikon system with a D70 + 2xN90 and 6 lenses. I've got an old
Minolta XK system with 11 lenses. I've got a Bronica S2 system with 5
lenses. I've even got a Speed Graphic. But none of this fits in my pocket.

I've been carrying around for the last year an old Nikon Coolpix 2200 as a
pocket camera whenever I go out for those candid shots that just come up.
But I used it at a wedding over the weekend and my frustration with its 1-3
second shutter delay made me swear that I'm going to replace it ASAP. But
with what? I'm soliciting recommendations for a P/S pocket digital camera
for a serious photographer who just needs something for those odd times.

TIA
Norm

Get the Canon SD500, 7 meg ditigtal Elph.

Old September 7th 05, 11:41 PM
Tony Polson

"Norm Dresner" wrote:

I've got a Nikon system with a D70 + 2xN90 and 6 lenses. I've got an old
Minolta XK system with 11 lenses. I've got a Bronica S2 system with 5
lenses. I've even got a Speed Graphic. But none of this fits in my pocket.

I've been carrying around for the last year an old Nikon Coolpix 2200 as a
pocket camera whenever I go out for those candid shots that just come up.
But I used it at a wedding over the weekend and my frustration with its 1-3
second shutter delay made me swear that I'm going to replace it ASAP. But
with what? I'm soliciting recommendations for a P/S pocket digital camera
for a serious photographer who just needs something for those odd times.

I would probably spend quite a lot of money on something similar. I
still carry a Contax T3 35mm p+s wherever I go. I would be very keen
to find a digital equivalent. It would need manual modes, an
excellent lens and at least 5MP. I liked the Canon Powershot G3 but
the later models appear to have a significant noise problem.

Old September 8th 05, 02:48 PM
Tony Polson

"Norm Dresner" wrote:

I've got a Nikon system with a D70 + 2xN90 and 6 lenses. I've got an old
Minolta XK system with 11 lenses. I've got a Bronica S2 system with 5
lenses. I've even got a Speed Graphic. But none of this fits in my pocket.

I've been carrying around for the last year an old Nikon Coolpix 2200 as a
pocket camera whenever I go out for those candid shots that just come up.
But I used it at a wedding over the weekend and my frustration with its 1-3
second shutter delay made me swear that I'm going to replace it ASAP. But
with what? I'm soliciting recommendations for a P/S pocket digital camera
for a serious photographer who just needs something for those odd times.

This isn't a pocket camera, but it is a very interesting alternative
to a DSLR:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0509/05090801sonydscr1.asp

Old September 8th 05, 02:54 PM
Norm Dresner

"Tony Polson" wrote in message
"Norm Dresner" wrote:

[...]

Yeah ... I've been looking longingly at some of these digital "bricks" and
wondering if women have it all over us by carrying a handbag instead of
wearing a jacket (or jeans) with pockets.

Norm

Old September 8th 05, 03:46 PM
Proconsul

On 9/8/05 6:54 AM, in article
, "Norm Dresner"

"Norm Dresner" wrote:

[...]

So buy a backpack or other "bag" and carry whatever you want to carry - it's
a "no brainer"......

PC