Image adjustments in one app not reflected in another.

Old February 8th 07, 07:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
jmc

Default Image adjustments in one app not reflected in another.

I've just come back from my first major vacation with the Canon Rebel
XTi. Got some great shots, but some needed work.

I'm using Canon's Digital Photo Professional, and Cerious' ThumbsPlus.

Because of the recipe feature in Canon's software, and the curves
adjustment, I'm doing much of my work there. I use TP mainly for
cropping. Oddly, though, some of the photos I've adjusted show adjusted
in ThumbsPlus, but others do not. Mainly seeing this from curves and/or
brightness adjustments.

I don't understand why sometimes these changes are reflected, and
sometimes are not. I've tried closing and reopening TP, and deleting
and re-doing the thumbnails, but to no avail.

Any help understanding this would be appreciated!

jmc
Old February 8th 07, 07:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

jmc wrote:
I've just come back from my first major vacation with the Canon Rebel
XTi. Got some great shots, but some needed work.

I'm using Canon's Digital Photo Professional, and Cerious' ThumbsPlus.

Because of the recipe feature in Canon's software, and the curves
adjustment, I'm doing much of my work there. I use TP mainly for
cropping. Oddly, though, some of the photos I've adjusted show
adjusted in ThumbsPlus, but others do not. Mainly seeing this from
curves and/or brightness adjustments.

I don't understand why sometimes these changes are reflected, and
sometimes are not. I've tried closing and reopening TP, and deleting
and re-doing the thumbnails, but to no avail.

Any help understanding this would be appreciated!

jmc

What are you saving them as? What type of file?

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old February 8th 07, 07:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 16:36:10 +0930, jmc wrote:

I don't understand why sometimes these changes are reflected, and
sometimes are not. I've tried closing and reopening TP, and deleting
and re-doing the thumbnails, but to no avail.

Any help understanding this would be appreciated!

I don't use that software, but I'll try guessing, based on what
some others have recently said about other software. When some
apps. make edits, the changes are immediately, destructively applied
to the original image, and when saved, other apps. will immediately
see the modified image. Others don't apply the *some* of the edits
immediately to the original image, only to a copy in the computer's
RAM memory, which is what you see on the screen. When you save
this, the original image is unchanged in the disk file, but the
editing commands that you issued are saved. This not only can save
a lot of space, but can allow you to completely start over if you
don't like the edits that you've done, and you'll again have the
original file to work with, with no image degradation. But other
apps. such as Thumbs Plus looking at edited images won't be aware of
the embedded editing commands, and will only have the original
unmodified JPG data to deal with. If this explanation doesn't
accurately describe what's happening with your working image files,
sorry 'bout that. But it cost me more to write this than it did for
you to read it. g

Old February 8th 07, 12:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, MarkČ exclaimed (08-Feb-07 4:37 PM):
jmc wrote:
I've just come back from my first major vacation with the Canon Rebel
XTi. Got some great shots, but some needed work.

I'm using Canon's Digital Photo Professional, and Cerious' ThumbsPlus.

Because of the recipe feature in Canon's software, and the curves
adjustment, I'm doing much of my work there. I use TP mainly for
cropping. Oddly, though, some of the photos I've adjusted show
adjusted in ThumbsPlus, but others do not. Mainly seeing this from
curves and/or brightness adjustments.

I don't understand why sometimes these changes are reflected, and
sometimes are not. I've tried closing and reopening TP, and deleting
and re-doing the thumbnails, but to no avail.

Any help understanding this would be appreciated!

jmc

What are you saving them as? What type of file?

Oh, sorry. JPEGs. I didn't have enough space to take RAW images on
this vacation (I took 1220 pics in 12 days).

jmc
Old February 8th 07, 12:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, ASAAR exclaimed (08-Feb-07 4:55 PM):
[...]

Ok. Does make sense, but when I do a "apply recipe and save" in DPP,
sometimes it shows and sometimes not. Assuming that even after the
apply, some of the recipe data is still only in RAM, how do I get TP to
see the edited images then? I've closed down both TP and DPP, and the
situations' the same when I fire the apps back up.

jmc
Old February 8th 07, 05:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 22:17:23 +0930, jmc wrote:

Ok. Does make sense, but when I do a "apply recipe and save" in DPP,
sometimes it shows and sometimes not. Assuming that even after the
apply, some of the recipe data is still only in RAM, how do I get TP to
see the edited images then? I've closed down both TP and DPP, and the
situations' the same when I fire the apps back up.

Sorry, but I don't use any of those apps. I don't even know if
when talking about TP not seeing edited images you're talking about
the full size edited images, thumbnails or something else. If it's
either of the last two, TP may store them in a database that is only
updated under certain conditions to prevent stressing your computer
with unnecessary disk I/O. If it's doing this, checking TP's menu
or help file might show how to force it to update its files.

Old February 8th 07, 10:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, ASAAR exclaimed (09-Feb-07 3:20 AM):
On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 22:17:23 +0930, jmc wrote:

Ok. Does make sense, but when I do a "apply recipe and save" in DPP,
sometimes it shows and sometimes not. Assuming that even after the
apply, some of the recipe data is still only in RAM, how do I get TP to
see the edited images then? I've closed down both TP and DPP, and the
situations' the same when I fire the apps back up.

Sorry, but I don't use any of those apps. I don't even know if
when talking about TP not seeing edited images you're talking about
the full size edited images, thumbnails or something else. If it's
either of the last two, TP may store them in a database that is only
updated under certain conditions to prevent stressing your computer
with unnecessary disk I/O. If it's doing this, checking TP's menu
or help file might show how to force it to update its files.

It's both the thumbnail, and the full sized image. Normally, it
immediately updates both, even if edited from an outside app.

jmc
Old February 8th 07, 10:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

ASAAR wrote:
On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 22:17:23 +0930, jmc wrote:

Ok. Does make sense, but when I do a "apply recipe and save" in DPP,
sometimes it shows and sometimes not. Assuming that even after the
apply, some of the recipe data is still only in RAM, how do I get TP to
see the edited images then? I've closed down both TP and DPP, and the
situations' the same when I fire the apps back up.

Sorry, but I don't use any of those apps. I don't even know if
when talking about TP not seeing edited images you're talking about
the full size edited images, thumbnails or something else. If it's
either of the last two, TP may store them in a database that is only
updated under certain conditions to prevent stressing your computer
with unnecessary disk I/O. If it's doing this, checking TP's menu
or help file might show how to force it to update its files.

Easiest way to bypass those suggested problems is to 'save as' using a
different name. Not using either of those apps I suppose anything is
possible, but the scenario you suggest sounds like a bit of a stretch. I
sometimes think pics look different depending on how viewed (Irfanview,
Faststone or PagePlus), but since nothing is calibrated it could be that
or just me.
Dave Cohen
Old February 9th 07, 05:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
jmc

Default Image adjustments in one app not reflected in another: ANSWER

Suddenly, without warning, jmc exclaimed (08-Feb-07 4:36 PM):
I've just come back from my first major vacation with the Canon Rebel
XTi. Got some great shots, but some needed work.

I'm using Canon's Digital Photo Professional, and Cerious' ThumbsPlus.

Because of the recipe feature in Canon's software, and the curves
adjustment, I'm doing much of my work there. I use TP mainly for
cropping. Oddly, though, some of the photos I've adjusted show adjusted
in ThumbsPlus, but others do not. Mainly seeing this from curves and/or
brightness adjustments.

I don't understand why sometimes these changes are reflected, and
sometimes are not. I've tried closing and reopening TP, and deleting
and re-doing the thumbnails, but to no avail.

Any help understanding this would be appreciated!

jmc

Discovered the problem. They were using different color profiles.
Asked TP to use sRGB as DPP was, and now the images look the same.

Oddly, when I build my own profile using the monitor's software, all
looks good on the screen but when I ask TP to use that profile, the
images get all dark and nasty. So sRGB it is.

Got some to learn about monitor adjustment, I guess.

jmc