Ricoh cameras

Old February 6th 07, 01:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mac Lynch

Default Ricoh cameras

In article FbMxh.2601$yI1.2410@trndny01, says...

"David J Taylor"
wrote in message k...
jeremy wrote:
[]
I've owned 2 Ricoh cameras, the RDC-5000 & RDC 5300, since 2000, and
they have given excellent results. They were feature-laden for their
time. Ricoh may have an image problem in the US. They have been
rebadging their cameras as Rollei in this market.

Thanks, Jeremy.

I just got an R5 and wondered why the brand wasn't better known. It works
very well considering its size the the 1/2.5-inch sensor.

http://www.digicamreview.co.uk/ricoh..._r5_review.htm

David

Ricoh has not done a good job of advancing their brand awareness. They once
were a well-known film camera manufacturer, but they withdrew from film and
concentrated on their copier and office equipment lines.

The RDC-5000 was an innovative digital camera--remote control, keep settings
menu, text mode, styled to look like a traditional camera--resembled the
Contax G2, LCD protective cover, ability to use camera with LCD cover
closed, real-image viewfinder, excellent all-glass 9-element lens, 3
aspheric surfaces, even an interval shooting mode for timed shots of
anywhere between 30 seconds and three hours apart. The camera came with all
cables, AC adapter, case and even a videotape that explained basic
operations. It could output onto TV (US and European standards) and it was
a most unusual camera in its day.

I still use mine (I have 3 of them--bought two more on eBay). For 4x6
snapshots, the camera was perfect. 2.3 MP resolution of 1200x1800 yielded
300 ppi at 4 x 6. The CCD chip had a 3:2 aspect ratio--just like 35mm film.

I think that Ricoh had associations in the minds of consumers of being a
"second tier" manufacturer--somewhat like Vivitar. That might explain why
their cameras are being distributed under the Rollei name in the US.

I shoot mainly 35mm film, and I scan the images to digital. But for my
less-important work, the RDC-5300 camera works fine, and I have not found
any need to go up to a more recent digicam. My own experience with Ricoh
was quite pleasant, and I would not hesitate to recommend their cameras.
But they are clearly the sort of brand for the person that marches to his
own drummer.

Kia Ora
I fully endorse Jeremy's comments. My ricoh was actually 5300Dc, very similar
to his. But I was persuaded to try the Caplio R3 and have found though it is a
lot smaller, the pics are at least as good as the 5300DC but Oh the speed it
writes to card & the ability to take immediate consequetative shots, and fast
readback is wonderful.
Also the Li Ion Battery, seems to last forever.
Usually have this great camera in my pocket!
Mac

Old February 6th 07, 08:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Ashcroft

In reply:
I am on my 4ht, the latest being an R5 following a pleasurable
experience with an R3. My daughter still uses the I7 which is a vest
pocket format. Quality is great but the macro and the 28 - 200mm lens
are features I like to the R3/5
"David J Taylor"
wrote in message k...
jeremy wrote:
[]
I've owned 2 Ricoh cameras, the RDC-5000 & RDC
5300, since 2000, and they have given excellent results.
They were feature-laden for their time. Ricoh may have an
image problem in the US. They have been
rebadging their cameras as Rollei in this market.

Thanks, Jeremy.

I just got an R5 and wondered why the brand wasn't better
known. It works very well considering its size the the 1/2.5- inch

sensor.

My GF has been very pleased with her R4 which she bought after taking me to
look at a shortlist of models from different manufacturers. My experience
with several Ricoh film cameras (GR1v, GR10, GR21) encouraged me to take
them seriously, and when trying out the options in the shop it blew away the
alternatives (other cameras with a reasonably wide end to their zooms, and a
price about £50-100 either side of the Ricoh.)

Peter

--

Ken Ashcroft
Old February 8th 07, 02:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Doug Robbins

"jeremy" wrote in message
I think that Ricoh had associations in the minds of consumers of being a
"second tier" manufacturer--somewhat like Vivitar. That might explain why
their cameras are being distributed under the Rollei name in the US.

Vivitar was a distributor of photographic items, not a manufacturer.

Old February 8th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
RichK

"Doug Robbins" wrote in message

I think that Ricoh had associations in the minds of consumers of being a
"second tier" manufacturer--somewhat like Vivitar. That might explain

why
their cameras are being distributed under the Rollei name in the US.

Vivitar was a distributor of photographic items, not a manufacturer.

You mean that the famous Vivitar 283 was really made by some basement
outfit, whose name we shall never know?

RichK

Old February 8th 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
jeremy

"jeremy" wrote in message
I think that Ricoh had associations in the minds of consumers of being a
"second tier" manufacturer--somewhat like Vivitar. That might explain
why their cameras are being distributed under the Rollei name in the US.

Vivitar was a distributor of photographic items, not a manufacturer.

So?

Vivitar sold cameras under its own name, regardless of who made them.