Visit to a pre-Civil War cemetery

Old September 2nd 07, 05:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ben Miller

Default Visit to a pre-Civil War cemetery

What I found in this cemetery was some serious history packed into a
three or four acre space in extremely rural Alabama. Some of the
things I found:

- Iron crosses w/ Confederate flags inscribed in the center for
veterans of the Civil War; there
were 65 issued throughout Eastern Alabama and Western Geogia.
Amazing that they are
still in the ground after, in some cases, 80 years

- Woodmen of the World tombstones in the forms of tree stumps; the
"tombstone program" was
an early benefit in membership in that organization until 1920 -
there were probably 10 in this
graveyard

- I found out that my great grandfather invented, and held two patents
on, some early form of
pipe/sewer cleaner using rotating blades

- Many, many random bits of interest including murder, suicide, high
finance, secret societies,
liquor sales, racial segregation and more...

As far as the processing goes, I all but took the yellows and greens
out and tuned down the other colors - it was intentional.

http://www.pbase.com/sigphotography/cedarwood_cemetery

Old September 2nd 07, 01:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Frank Emens

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 21:44:34 -0700, Ben Miller
wrote:

[...]

Fery interesting -- especially since my mother's family came from
Randolph County. They aren't in Cedarwood thoough, they are at the
cemetary at Midway Church which is about "midway" between Roanoke and
Wedowee. You better believe it is extremely rural down there!