Photo Printer

Old January 26th 06, 09:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Photo Printer

HornBlower wrote:
You can get bulk kits for the i9900 and the older i9100.

Pigment inks are supposed to last longer. However, you have to take Epson's
word on that as there is no real world proof that the high cost inks will
last anywhere close to the time Epson says. All of their tests are faked in
a lab.

Also, look at what Epson says you have to do to get the supposed 100 year
life span. You have to use only certain papers, store in a special way, etc.
Nothing that the vast majority or people will ever do. Its a joke and a
gimick to charge you through the nose for ink and paper.

One doesn't need to take Epson's word for this; and, yes, it's all
calculations based on fast aging and stressing, but Wilhelm Research
seems to be the definitive spot for such information.

I can't disagree that one pays through the nose for ink and paper,
especially in consumer quantities.

Also, comp.periphs.printers has more and "livlier" "discussions" on all
aspects of printer. Aside from a rather obvious sociopath, the group is
reasonably pleasant.

--
John McWilliams
Old January 27th 06, 12:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 12:44:01 -0800, "HornBlower"
wrote:

My 2 cents

And easily worth half that.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com
Old January 27th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 12:46:24 -0800, "HornBlower"
wrote:

You can get bulk kits for the i9900 and the older i9100.

Pigment inks are supposed to last longer. However, you have to take Epson's
word on that as there is no real world proof that the high cost inks will
last anywhere close to the time Epson says. All of their tests are faked in
a lab.

Also, look at what Epson says you have to do to get the supposed 100 year
life span. You have to use only certain papers, store in a special way, etc.
Nothing that the vast majority or people will ever do. Its a joke and a
gimick to charge you through the nose for ink and paper.

Sorry, but you're spewing bull**** here. The
print longevity is tested according to industry-
standard procedures, by Henry Wilhelm, and
you can grab all the data he

http://www.wilhelm-research.com/

"Normal people" will take certain measures
to protect their prints, if they have a desire to
keep those prints looking good for a very long
time. IOW, it's not a "gimmick."

I don't generally partake of Epson-Canon wars,
or Nikon-Canon wars, but there's just a lot of
ignorant and malicious nonsense in your posts
on this matter.

And yes, I've owned and used both brands
of printers, starting around eight years ago
with an Epson SC600.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com
Old January 27th 06, 06:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

It is still faked. In 100 years I see a photo from it that is still bright
and lively, then I will believe it. Until then it is jsut marketing trying
to get your money.

Besides, nothing lasts forever and if in a few years I need to I can
reprint.

Old January 27th 06, 06:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

It is still faked. You can believe whatever you want, but I want more proof,
not marketing designed to make things look better than they are. If you take
any companies word for something without definative proof your a fool. And,
faked tests are not proof.

Old January 27th 06, 06:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

That should be a number you are familar with. It is your I.Q. after all.

"rafe b" rafebATspeakeasy.net wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 12:44:01 -0800, "HornBlower"
wrote:

My 2 cents

And easily worth half that.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com

Old January 27th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Can't find anything on the site specific to the Canon IP9900 or IP6600 ink
types versus the K3 pigments

Let's say it's the 104 versus the 41 years -- I'm pushing 50 so given my
family genetics I'll be dead in either case and I can always reprint on
newer stuff in later years before I die - LOL

I looking at how does the print look good in an album or frame during the
next say 5-10 years and what is the cost to operate for 5x7, 8x10, and a few
bigger ones in the 13x17 sizes

it mainly for displaying some of vacation pics from backpacking and parks
about the house, etc

steve