need 4X5 med. format studio camera

Old February 12th 04, 08:31 PM
michael

Default need 4X5 med. format studio camera

Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations. I do a lot of giclee printing for artists.
I need a 4X5 studio camera suitable for shooting paintings. I already have
a complete strobe set-up, studio tripod, and light meters. This camera will
probably never be used in the field. It is important that it produce a high
quality color transparency.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Michael

Old February 12th 04, 09:11 PM
Matt Clara

"michael" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations. I do a lot of giclee printing for

artists.
I need a 4X5 studio camera suitable for shooting paintings. I already

have
a complete strobe set-up, studio tripod, and light meters. This camera

will
probably never be used in the field. It is important that it produce a

high
quality color transparency.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Michael

If it's 4 x 5 you're looking for, then that's a Large Format camera, so you
might want to ask over at rec.photo.equipment.large-format.

In my mind, most any of the decent 4 x 5 cameras will do, it's the lens that
will make or break the quality.

Old February 12th 04, 09:57 PM
Chris Ellinger

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:31:40 -0800, "michael" wrote:

I'm looking for recommendations. I do a lot of giclee printing for artists.
I need a 4X5 studio camera suitable for shooting paintings. I already have
a complete strobe set-up, studio tripod, and light meters. This camera will
probably never be used in the field. It is important that it produce a high
quality color transparency.

Are you sure you need a 4x5 transparency? A medium format roll film
camera will be much cheaper to feed, and produce a very high quality
transparency. You might even consider one of the higher resolution
small format digicams.

How large are the inkjet prints that you make?

Chris Ellinger
Ann Arbor, MI

Old February 12th 04, 10:44 PM
michael

How large are the inkjet prints that you make?
Chris Ellinger
Ann Arbor, MI

Up to 48X72...but for these I prefer to use 8X10 transparencies. I'm
comfortable using 4X5's for prints up to about 30X40.
Michael

Old February 12th 04, 10:47 PM
Tom Thackrey

On 12-Feb-2004, "michael" wrote:

I'm looking for recommendations. I do a lot of giclee printing for
artists.
I need a 4X5 studio camera suitable for shooting paintings. I already
have
a complete strobe set-up, studio tripod, and light meters. This camera
will
probably never be used in the field. It is important that it produce a
high
quality color transparency.

If you really need a 4x5 transparency, almost any 4x5 will do. You don't
need any of the movements. You should be able to pick up a workhorse like a
Cambo on eBay pretty cheap.

I would be tempted to get a 6x7 roll film camera. It will be a lot easier to
use and cheaper. The image area is about 30% of the 4x5, more than enough
for even very large prints.

--
Tom Thackrey
www.creative-light.com
Old February 13th 04, 01:00 AM
Stacey

michael wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations. I do a lot of giclee printing for
artists.
I need a 4X5 studio camera suitable for shooting paintings. I already
have
a complete strobe set-up, studio tripod, and light meters. This camera
will
probably never be used in the field. It is important that it produce a
high quality color transparency.

The lens is where you need to spend the money. Something like a G-clarion
would be perfect as they were designed for reproduction work. Just about
any 4X5 camera would work as you need no movements and it's just going to
hold the lens and a film holder.
--

Stacey

Old February 19th 04, 03:04 PM
Will

"michael" wrote in message ...
Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations. I do a lot of giclee printing for artists.
I need a 4X5 studio camera suitable for shooting paintings. I already have
a complete strobe set-up, studio tripod, and light meters. This camera will
probably never be used in the field. It is important that it produce a high
quality color transparency.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Michael

I think the solution you are looking for comes from www.alettaphoto.com

I don't know where anyone could do any better for the price!
Old February 19th 04, 03:36 PM
Nick Zentena

Will wrote:
"michael" wrote in message ...
Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations. I do a lot of giclee printing for artists.
I need a 4X5 studio camera suitable for shooting paintings. I already have
a complete strobe set-up, studio tripod, and light meters. This camera will
probably never be used in the field. It is important that it produce a high
quality color transparency.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Michael

I think the solution you are looking for comes from www.alettaphoto.com

I don't know where anyone could do any better for the price!

$300 for an built camera wouldn't be very hard to beat if you buy used.

Nick