Two lens kit thoughts?

Old February 11th 04, 10:27 PM
Bob Monaghan

Default Two lens kit thoughts?

quoting zeitgeist:

yup, I really think the reason they include the 80 or
normal lens with the usual packages is they wouldn't sell very many
otherwise. I ended up with a couple 80s over the years and rarely ever
used them. endquote

Perhaps, but there are lots of more expensive lenses I think they would
rather sell at a premium, once they sell you into the Bronica (or hassy or
rollei..) line with a low cost body/back/finder/normal lens.

The normal lens is one of the least expensive to make in volume and at a
relatively fast speed (often the fastest in any lineup), another plus.
It is also usually a good choice for macro work with bellows/tubes too ;-)

The angle of view may not be very exotic by today's standards, but the
lens can handle about 80% of the prize winning photo shooter's
requirements (per surveys of contest winning photos by kodak and others,
see Sussman Amateur Photographers Handbook tables or see Curing Lens Envy
http://medfmt.8k.com/bronlensenvy.html )

Still, I found it shocking that over half the hasselblad C lenses sold
were the normal lenses! (see mf/mffaq.html or Rick Nordin's compendium)
This means the normal lenses outsold not only all the other individual
lenses, but all the other hassy mount lenses combined!!! ;-)

grins bobm
* Robert Monaghan POB 752182 Southern Methodist Univ. Dallas Tx 75275 *
********************Standard Disclaimers Apply*************************
Old February 12th 04, 06:07 PM
Jeremy

"Bob Monaghan" wrote in message

Still, I found it shocking that over half the hasselblad C lenses sold
were the normal lenses! (see mf/mffaq.html or Rick Nordin's compendium)

The larger negative size in MF does offer the opportunity for
cropping--resulting in a smaller angle of view--and may lessen the need for
a telephoto lens in some cases. Some wedding photographers, for example,
had the sloppy habit of setting up the camera at the back of the church,
taking many photos from that spot, and then relying upon the lab to crop out
the unwanted objects.

Sometimes I'm envious, because the small neg size of 35mm doesn't allow for
too much cropping, making it necessary to "crop in the viewfinder."

But a normal lens in MF can produce images that appear to have been shot
with a longer-focus lens. Depending upon one's needs, a telephot might not
be necessary, making the normal lens a bit more versatile.