beseler universal colorhead enlarger

Old February 7th 04, 10:21 PM
shutterbug

Default beseler universal colorhead enlarger

I was just given a Beseler Universal Colorhead enlarger from a friend. It
looks to be pretty old, but I am not sure. Has anyone ever ran across one
of these enlargers? It looks to be medium format B&W enlarger, but it is
called a color head enlarger. If anyone has any info on this enlarger, or
know where I might find some info please reply.

Thank you

Old February 8th 04, 01:36 AM
Gary Beasley

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 16:21:16 -0600, "shutterbug"
wrote:

I was just given a Beseler Universal Colorhead enlarger from a friend. It
looks to be pretty old, but I am not sure. Has anyone ever ran across one
of these enlargers? It looks to be medium format B&W enlarger, but it is
called a color head enlarger. If anyone has any info on this enlarger, or
know where I might find some info please reply.

Thank you

I think those units got that name simply because a filter drawer was
added so color prints could be made. They are still ordinary condensor
enlargers. Is it a 67 or a 45 model? ( how big is the condensor?)
Old February 8th 04, 07:18 AM
shutterbug

I am sure it is the 67 model.

Old February 8th 04, 01:52 PM
Gary Beasley

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 01:18:13 -0600, "shutterbug"
wrote:

I am sure it is the 67 model.

Those are pretty common and straightforward to use. The negative
carriers are easily available on ebay,a search will probably find you
a half dozen or more at any time. The head can be changed out for
available Dichroic heads if desired. They use the same 4x4 lensboards
the 45 series uses.

Old February 8th 04, 03:40 PM
shutterbug

Great! Thanks for all the info. The enlarger actually came with 6 neg
carriers. They are round with the handle to insert them in the enlarger. I
emailed Beseler yesterday, so maybe they can get me some info!

Old February 10th 04, 10:34 PM
columbotrek

Is that the one which has the 3 dials on it for adjusting your color
correction packs? Or does it just have a covered slot into which you
slide your gels? With the right film holder and lens, I think you can
go all the way up to 4X5 with one of those.

--
"False is the idea of utility ... that would take fire from men because
it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for
Old February 11th 04, 02:06 AM
shutterbug

Yes it does have the gel slot on it. Does this mean that it is a B&W
enlarger, or do you slide in color correction filters individually. The neg
carriers that came with it are all medium format, and that is why I thought
it was a medium format enlarger. Thanks for the info

Old February 14th 04, 10:14 PM
Wilt W

Yes it does have the gel slot on it. Does this mean that it is a B&W
enlarger, or do you slide in color correction filters individually.

You slide in a stack of gel filters totalling the color pack you need. For
example 40M+5M+10Y. Gel filters are used rather than plastic because they are
in the optical path and degrade the image less (unless you are ham fisted and
damage the fragile gels!)

--Wilt