cleaning cmos sensor

Old December 29th 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Michael Shaw

Default cleaning cmos sensor

Looking for suggestions on cleaning the CMOS sensor on my 20D. I used a
rubber blower like the manual suggests but it looks like there is still some
dust on the sensor. Any comments will be appreciated.
--
micky311

Old December 29th 06, 05:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Stephen M. Dunn

In article 7r0lh.286189$FQ1.162038@attbi_s71 "Michael Shaw" writes:
$Looking for suggestions on cleaning the CMOS sensor on my 20D. I used a
$rubber blower like the manual suggests but it looks like there is still some
$dust on the sensor. Any comments will be appreciated.

There are a number of sites on the Web dealing with sensor cleaning;
I'd expect Google can find them for you.

Visible Dust - http://www.visibledust.ca/ - gets good reviews, so
I recently bought a pack of their cleaning swabs and some cleaning
fluid. It did a great job on crud that a simple blower couldn't budge.
If you're looking for a simple solution, these, or similar products,
will do the job.

There are also do-it-yourself versions which cost less and should
also work nicely if you don't mind assembling the swabs yourself and
being very careful not to get any contaminants (such as fingerprints)
on them while you're working.

BTW, CMOS vs. CCD doesn't matter; you're not actually cleaning the
sensor. You're cleaning an assembly in front of the sensor which
filters out infrared and implements a low-pass filter to reduce the
incidence of Moire patterns. It's certainly not indestructible, so
you have to be careful, but you're not actually wiping a computer chip
or anything.
--
Stephen M. Dunn
---------------- http://www.stevedunn.ca/ ----------------

Old December 29th 06, 07:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck

Michael Shaw wrote:
Looking for suggestions on cleaning the CMOS sensor on my 20D. I used a
rubber blower like the manual suggests but it looks like there is still some
dust on the sensor. Any comments will be appreciated.

Here are a couple of sites which have helped provide me with the tools
to deal with the DSLR dust frustration:
http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/
http://www.2filter.com/prices/products/eclipse.html
https://www.micro-tools.com/store/home.aspx
http://www.photosol.com/

Just take your time. Cleaning the sensor is not rocket science, but a
little care with the proper tools is needed.

Good luck,

Leonard

Old December 30th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Sheldon

"Michael Shaw" wrote in message

Looking for suggestions on cleaning the CMOS sensor on my 20D. I used a
rubber blower like the manual suggests but it looks like there is still
some dust on the sensor. Any comments will be appreciated.
--
micky311

I've always had good luck with PecPads and Eclipse. Takes awhile to get the
knack of it, but after a few tries you can do a good cleaning on the first
try. The video is a bit misleading, as most people wet the swab, sweep in
one direction, move the swab down without lifting it then sweep back the
other direction.

Never had good luck with brushes, but haven't tried those new spinning
brushes.

Old December 30th 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck

Michael Shaw wrote:
Looking for suggestions on cleaning the CMOS sensor on my 20D. I used a
rubber blower like the manual suggests but it looks like there is still some
dust on the sensor. Any comments will be appreciated.

Here is one other site which provides some useful dust control tools.
http://www.kinetronics.com/cgi-local...html?E+scstore
Old January 2nd 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Michael Shaw wrote:

Looking for suggestions on cleaning the CMOS sensor on my 20D. I used a
rubber blower like the manual suggests but it looks like there is still some
dust on the sensor. Any comments will be appreciated.

Use thew blower first, and get the whole mirror box lockup up and not
then use a soft brush given a static charge with canned air, I used a
cheap makeup brush but you can get specialized ones. Cleaning fluids
before this blowing and brushing will just push the dust around wasting
pads.

Visible Dust CCD/CMOS Sensor cleaning kit Brian Stirling Digital Photography 0 November 12th 04 01:46 AM
Cleaning a CMOS Big Bill Digital Photography 2 July 12th 04 05:03 PM
Cleaning a CMOS Buster In The Darkroom 1 July 12th 04 12:59 PM
Cleaning a CMOS Buster Digital Photography 1 July 12th 04 12:59 PM
Cleaning a CMOS Buster 35mm Photo Equipment 1 July 12th 04 12:59 PM